Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Postby symbol » April 10th, 2016, 7:50 am

Hi;
I have started to project for building diy robot vacuum cleaner. I will be shared all details in this topic.

Main design repllicated from Roomba 5xx-6xx series. It will be improved step by step.

Part-1 Idea - Theory
Roomba or Neato is very expensive in Turkey related to custım taxes etc. So i have decided to build my own. While surfing on the net i have find basic obstacle avoiding robots are made with arduino. So if i add a vacuum motor it could clean my home!!

Theory;
Arduino mega and modules will be sued for electronic control.
I will use ultrasonic sensors for obstacle avoiding and wall following.
Delta vacuum is used for vacuum motor.
I have found used neato wheel assembly with motors on ebay
for brushing mechanism i will be use roomba chm for now. But in future i will develop my own design :)
For battery 4x 3400mah protected Panasonic 18650 will be used with battery management module.

I think total cost will be about under 100 $ with using used parts :)
symbol

Re: Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Postby symbol » April 10th, 2016, 7:56 am

Bill of material for electonics

Category Material Unit Price$ Total Cost$
Electronic HC SR 04 7 1 7
Electronic Arduino Mega 1 8 8
Electronic Relay Module 2,5 1 2,5
Electronic L298 3 1 3
Electronic Whell Motors 35 1 35
Electronic Wiring Led etc 1 10 10
Electronic Brush Motor 1 5 5
Electronic Vacuum Motor 1 2 2
Electronic Battery 1 15 15
symbol

Re: Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Postby LazyRoomba » August 21st, 2016, 6:46 pm

I'm doing exactly this to a spare roomba I have that suffered PCB failure. My project will be very advanced tho. I used the I2C protocol to attach an Arduino Due to a Mega 2560, as the Due's 12 analog pins will not be enough.

Are you using a Roomba chassis? This will save a tonne of time, and you only have to figure out the wiring for the cliff, light bumper and motors.

Charging the battery, strongly advise to follow how Roomba charges its battery, using a dual mosfet fail over with monitoring with the battery temp, current and voltage (3 analogue pins).

I'm not using any relay's on my project, the clicking will be too annoying. In terms of reliability, a mosfet will last longer.
LazyRoomba
Robot Addict

Return to Robotic Hacking