Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Postby symbol » April 10th, 2016, 7:50 am

Hi;
I have started to project for building diy robot vacuum cleaner. I will be shared all details in this topic.

Main design repllicated from Roomba 5xx-6xx series. It will be improved step by step.

Part-1 Idea - Theory
Roomba or Neato is very expensive in Turkey related to custım taxes etc. So i have decided to build my own. While surfing on the net i have find basic obstacle avoiding robots are made with arduino. So if i add a vacuum motor it could clean my home!!

Theory;
Arduino mega and modules will be sued for electronic control.
I will use ultrasonic sensors for obstacle avoiding and wall following.
Delta vacuum is used for vacuum motor.
I have found used neato wheel assembly with motors on ebay
for brushing mechanism i will be use roomba chm for now. But in future i will develop my own design :)
For battery 4x 3400mah protected Panasonic 18650 will be used with battery management module.

I think total cost will be about under 100 $ with using used parts :)
symbol

Re: Robotiko - DIY Vacuum Cleaner

Postby symbol » April 10th, 2016, 7:56 am

Bill of material for electonics

Category Material Unit Price$ Total Cost$
Electronic HC SR 04 7 1 7
Electronic Arduino Mega 1 8 8
Electronic Relay Module 2,5 1 2,5
Electronic L298 3 1 3
Electronic Whell Motors 35 1 35
Electronic Wiring Led etc 1 10 10
Electronic Brush Motor 1 5 5
Electronic Vacuum Motor 1 2 2
Electronic Battery 1 15 15
symbol

Postby LazyRoomba » August 21st, 2016, 6:46 pm

I'm doing exactly this to a spare roomba I have that suffered PCB failure. My project will be very advanced tho. I used the I2C protocol to attach an Arduino Due to a Mega 2560, as the Due's 12 analog pins will not be enough.

Are you using a Roomba chassis? This will save a tonne of time, and you only have to figure out the wiring for the cliff, light bumper and motors.

Charging the battery, strongly advise to follow how Roomba charges its battery, using a dual mosfet fail over with monitoring with the battery temp, current and voltage (3 analogue pins).

I'm not using any relay's on my project, the clicking will be too annoying. In terms of reliability, a mosfet will last longer.
LazyRoomba
Robot Addict

Postby Loshki » May 5th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I was struck recently by the fact that you can now essentially download a (prototype) robot vacuum, software and hardware, as exemplified by this May 2017 posting on http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Y ... cuum-Robot (Some assembly required).

This is one of the more impressive things I think I've seen since ISA_serge's "Selfmade controller for Scooba 230", http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17999 not just because it shows what a single, clever, motivated individual can achieve, but also because it hints at the future of retailing and manufacture itself.

This early-stage design contains printable hardware and just enough source code (one page!) to make the thing move. I don't think it's competition for commercial product manufacture, any more than people who build their own cars are competition for motor companies, but I do think it's of interest to students and hobbyists, and it would be interesting to see more of a focused public domain effort, instead of everyone separately inventing their own wheels, so to speak.

Loshki
Loshki

Postby glnc222 » May 5th, 2017, 8:30 pm

As a future project consider adding a front powered sweeping brush.

The commercial vacuum robots clean mainly with a powered brush, as sweepers, suction being sufficient, on battery power, merely to draw swept dirt into the dust bin. This works well on hard floors at least, which can be cleaned with Swiffers instead of vacuums. Some of the brushes use solid flexible vanes instead of bristles which are more expensive and harder to assemble. So it may be possible to 3D print a brush core tube with slots for vanes (best helical), and vanes separately of flexible material. It might even be possible to make vanes out of thicker duct tape types, Gorilla tape, folded over.

[edit] Replacement bristle brush for an iLife low end commercial robot only $10 might be useful for DIY projects
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Roller-Brush-Bristle-ILIFE/dp/B06XT97NBK/ref=pd_sim_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XT97NBK&pd_rd_r=X59QEMZTFCETEX589N6K&pd_rd_w=STdbK&pd_rd_wg=6fNNF&psc=1&refRID=X59QEMZTFCETEX589N6K
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm

For those considering guided operation with a lidar or camera, there is some open source software from OpenSLAM.org (Simultaenosus Location and Mapping) including Tiny SLAM -- the mathematical part.

[edit] Besides lidars and cameras, another possible movement sensor is a mouse pointing device from PC's.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby symbol » May 19th, 2017, 11:08 am

Very good project. I havent 3d printer so when i conpleted my project it looks like a garbage robot:) i have used saivel seweper for brush mechanism and no vacuum used. I will upload videos
symbol

Postby symbol » May 19th, 2017, 11:10 am

https://youtu.be/dmhuxk9c0Rs

How to take dust with brush mechanism
symbol

Postby symbol » May 19th, 2017, 11:14 am

symbol

Postby glnc222 » May 26th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Lot of Youtube videos of DIY vacuums, Arduino controlled, including ones made of cardboard (a favorite material) without 3D printing. Random navigation should be simple to program, but the software for commercial guided robots can be a lot of the expense for them. Yet the software they produce doesn't seem all that good in some ways, hard to figure. Large batteries and chargers make up a substatial part of robot cost (just look at the replacement costs).
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Robotic Hacking