Longer cleaning cycles for Roomba 560 with big LiIon battery

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Longer cleaning cycles for Roomba 560 with big LiIon battery

Postby weirdgod » April 15th, 2016, 7:05 am

I recently bought 5500mAh LiIon battery for my Roomba 560, and after having it flashed to firmware 7A9 (is this the latest?) everything is perfect! Robot is charging battery fine without a problem (before i got some error 7 messages), and once battery is full, robot can run for 5,5 hours on it (i hid the charging station, and pressed the "dock" button on robot) and it went on like duracell rabbits...

But, when robot is triggered by scheduled daily programs, it runs only approx 60-70 minutes, and then it docks, and starts charging the battery again (and in 15 minutes its back to full - green)... which indicates to me, that it could run a few hours more without a problem.

So, my question is - can i somehow force roomba into longer cleaning cycles (without hiding/unplugging the charging station)? It looks like roomba has a predefined time value, as I am sure battery's voltage does not drop below certain threshold that would initiate return to charging station...

Ideas?
weirdgod

Re: Longer cleaning cycles for Roomba 560 with big LiIon bat

Postby a1robotrepair » April 15th, 2016, 8:08 am

If your bot is RF, uses VW/Lighthouses, you could set up 3 lighthouses. That will give you 4 zones @ 25m each for 100m plus the time it takes to return to dock. 50m for first LH and 25m each additional LH.
Another trick. Dock must be secured to floor. Set schedule and use Outlet timer and set off time on wall timer switch to 1/2 hour after Roomba scheduled start time to turn on @ 90% cleaning time you want - 1/2 hour. Hopefully Roomba isn't on top of dock when timer turns dock back on. I used one set to 1 hour off 1 hour on to keep my ni-mh from overcharging. No prob w/ INR.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby weirdgod » April 16th, 2016, 2:27 pm

The idea with outlet timer is perfect! I already set it up just now, and I expect a perfect result! Thank you!
weirdgod

Postby off-road-biker » December 30th, 2016, 1:10 am

@weirdgod
Does it work wirh the timer? And how do you set it up exactly?
Roomba 560 with 700 ECHM (grey) and modded original vac bin (R3)
off-road-biker

Return to Robotic Hacking