thought this would be useful for some. You can make a comms cable for the roomba for only AU$4.
I know this has been discussed before but i though having all info in one post would be useful.
- PL2303TA USB TTL to RS232 Converter Cable - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191736124392
- 8 pin mini din plug - http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p1098-8-p ... -din-plug/
When you get the cable, cut off the connectors (red is not needed) and solder:
- GREEN core (TXD) --> pin 3 (RXD) on connector
- WHITE core (RXD) --> pin 4 (TXD) on connector
- BLACK core (GND) --> pin 6 (GND) on connector
See attached pictures which may help. Note the connector on roomba is female, so you need to keep that in mind when looking at back of male connector (which you solder to).
To communicate with the roomba, you need some free software. Either putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
or Realterm. I prefer putty, but thats cause i am used to it.
Once you open putty, set baud rate, com port and select serial comms.
If you dont know the com port, open device manager.
See attachment for example. Put roomba on home base so its charging or plug cable into side port. You should then see charge log info.