Roomba to arduino conversation

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Roomba to arduino conversation

Postby symbol » May 19th, 2017, 11:25 am

Hi;
I have 4000 series roomba and mainboard is fail. So i decided to use arduşno as mainbroad and i connected all sensors and motor to the arduino.

I have completed lots of part but have some questions;
charging system. I am using orginal battery nicd, i remember that roomba open mosfets for charging than is starts with constant current charging. For my circuit can i use directly 1.25A fast charger with controlling voltage and temperature ? Or i can make basic circuit with lm317 and charge with 0,5A constant current and monitor temperature and voltage drops.

In orginal versiyon it is charging with 1.25A?
symbol

Re: Roomba to arduino conversation

Postby mfortuna » May 19th, 2017, 11:44 am

There were two versions of the 400 series power supply. One put out 1.25A, the other was much less, maybe half. Half an amp would probably be fine.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 25th, 2017, 10:53 pm

One description of NiCd charging procedure is at https://www.eeweb.com/blog/extreme_circuits/simple-nicd-battery-charger
Long superseded by NiMh for higher energy density, with a different charging procedure.
The analog component procedure can be reproduced in software for the microcontroller. A number of small charging circuit boards are sold, some with microcontrollers. Batteries will typically be fused or polyfused for safety etc.

Programming your own system any type of battery can be used with appropriate algorithms. Neato systems contain more than one algorithm, with installation configuration commands to set battery type used.
BatteryUniversity.com has a lot of info.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby symbol » June 29th, 2017, 1:29 pm

I have completed conversation to arduino. Now roomba with new brain start to clean my home :))

https://youtu.be/UloVwBsZdhI
symbol

Postby whitecube » July 3rd, 2017, 11:41 am

congratulation! nice project. will you post the code too?
whitecube

Postby symbol » July 4th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Yes,

https://github.com/diyrobotcleaner/roombatoarduino

:D

whitecube wrote:congratulation! nice project. will you post the code too?
symbol

Return to Robotic Hacking