Scheduler Remote USB-port

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Scheduler Remote USB-port

Postby cozmax » October 26th, 2005, 9:37 am

Hi there,
just got my Roomba Scheduler. Noted a USB port on the remote. Is it of use as of now?
Could make sense for some nice options: windows based scheduler software, firmware upgrade, other fun stuff
Anyone got more info on this?

Thanx
cozmax

Postby robotreviews » October 26th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Currently that port is used with a proprietory cable that, when connected directly to a Discovery series Roomba, will update the Firmware with the new 2.1 updates as well as adding scheduling abilities.

Hopefully, iRobot will follow through on their promise to release the tools and APIs needed for some homebrew hacking soon!

Craig
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby RoombaRules » October 26th, 2005, 2:40 pm

When you buy one of the Scheduler upgrade kits or accessory packs it comes with the cable that Craig mentioned. It doesn't come with Scheduler because it has the software built into it's chipset.

Seth
There is no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks.
RoombaRules
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenwood True X » October 26th, 2005, 11:54 pm

It's actually a serial cable, not USB.
Kenwood True X
Founding Member

Postby RoombaRules » October 27th, 2005, 6:35 am

No the port on Roomba is a serial port and the port on the Scheduler remote is a USB type, the cable is an adapter cord. I have the remote I know it's USB.
RoombaRules
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenwood True X » October 27th, 2005, 11:43 pm

It looks like a USB port, but does not transmit using the USB protocols. The Roomba is serial only.
Kenwood True X
Founding Member

Postby RoombaRules » October 28th, 2005, 7:24 am

How do you know without a way to test it?
I use the same type of cord for my printer.
RoombaRules
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenwood True X » October 28th, 2005, 11:52 pm

The pinout on Roomba's serial port is different than the USB pinout, according to this: http://prj.perquin.com/roomba/serial.php

USB has fewer pins (4).
Kenwood True X
Founding Member

Postby ertyu » October 29th, 2005, 10:17 am

It could be anything. The roomba is serial, but perhaps the remote can talk to the roomba or a computer. Perhaps they have something in the works for the future, update the remote via computer, etc.
ertyu

Postby rj5555 » December 7th, 2005, 7:09 pm

The plug on the remote side is 'usb style' but the signals are serial. I would not even try to connect the remote to a computer with a USB cable you probably will blow up your remote, your computers USB port or both.
rj5555
Robot Addict

Postby leobru » December 30th, 2005, 3:50 am

rj5555 wrote:The plug on the remote side is 'usb style' but the signals are serial. I would not even try to connect the remote to a computer with a USB cable you probably will blow up your remote, your computers USB port or both.

Well, I tried. The remote lighted up and said "POWER ON", and the PC recognized that something has been connected to the USB port but said that the device malfunctioned.
leobru

Postby HostileJava » December 7th, 2006, 11:45 am

USB ports use serial communications. A standard port is usually +5v, -D, +D, Ground. I would think using the standard USB pinout that the remote would be able to communicate with the roomba with an adpapter/cable.
HostileJava

Postby cadcoke4 » December 8th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Some PC mice come with a USB to PS2 serial adapter, so dual-ports are not that difficult. It may be that the controller does have true USB capability, but it isn't utilized when connected to the Roomba.

Perhaps it can function as a true USB port if they were to release some drivers for the PC side.

Joe Dunfee
Joe Dunfee
cadcoke4
Robot Addict

Scheduler is NOT USB

Postby gssincla » December 17th, 2006, 4:40 pm

The scheduler device is not a USB device. the port on the side is just a standard TTL serial port for interfacing with the roomba's SCI. I took a few minutes last night to pin out the cable to confirm this... see the picture below (man i love MS Paint).

As you can see, there is a one to one correlation between the miniUSB connector and the miniDIN connector. Interestingly, the dual GND and Vcc pins on the roomba side are not tied together with the scheduler side.

As for PWR ON display, this is the result of applying power to the connector. What is interesting about this, however, is that if you apply power to the connector by hooking it up to the USB port of your computer, it will force a reset of the time. My guess is that during the initial USB data exchange that whatever the USB host is sending is really making the scheduler unhappy. if you just apply power to the connector it doesn't force you to reset the time, so its probably the USB host's communication that is bothering it. i might investigate this later if i have the time.
Attachments
roomba-usb connector pin out.JPG
miniUSB to miniDIN pin out
roomba-usb connector pin out.JPG (12.19 KiB) Viewed 18600 times
gssincla
Robot Addict

Re: Scheduler Remote USB-port

Postby fcampbel » May 14th, 2010, 9:22 am

I just tried it too. It did not reset the time. I just started using Roomba again after several years of non-use.
fcampbel

Postby neomodell » September 25th, 2010, 12:38 pm

lets not forget that USB is Universal Serial Bus. meaning that it is serial and USB ,they are in fact just variations of each other and are the same. dont belive me google usb or serial and see for yourself. now your pc would need the appropriate driver in order to see the device for its use. so unless you can find a driver put out by irobot or write your own. then the USB is useless to you
neomodell

Postby mfortuna » September 26th, 2010, 1:19 am

The scheduler remote uses a USB port connection but doesn't use USB. This is the case of using a standard connector but using non standard connections. There is no USB driver that would directly connect to a scheduler remote or to a roomba.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Displacer » June 14th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I came up with a different pinout than the one above by tracing the remote hardware:

1&2 tied together and grounded
3 tx
4 rx
5 Vcc

Maybe it's a different version?
Displacer

Return to Robotic Hacking