Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Questions, comments and suggestions about RobotReviews and RoombaCommunity.

Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby Roombascoobatastic » March 4th, 2017, 5:41 am

It's been like 5 years and that poll has got to go. It never even had the option most people would have checked, the "don't have one, don't want one" option. And the old ancient reviews and "imminent" product releases from times long passed... a little effort would go a long way here... I was asked to be an editor yet no one has approached me for some original interesting content for the main page. Come on now, time to clear out the cobwebs and spruce up this site a little.
Sincerely,

Rick
User avatar
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor
 
Posts: 286
Joined: May 12th, 2013, 1:36 am
Location: Canada

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby piokrza » March 4th, 2017, 9:32 am

:thumbup:
piokrza
Robot Master
 
Posts: 3441
Joined: May 18th, 2009, 8:17 am
Location: Poland

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby robotreviews » March 4th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Funny, I just checked the front page, and that poll isn't there...

:whistle:
User avatar
robotreviews
Chief Robot
 
Posts: 996
Joined: December 26th, 2003, 2:57 am

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby calypso » March 5th, 2017, 3:33 am

Roombascoobatastic wrote:It's been like 5 years and that poll has got to go. It never even had the option most people would have checked, the "don't have one, don't want one" option. And the old ancient reviews and "imminent" product releases from times long passed... a little effort would go a long way here... I was asked to be an editor yet no one has approached me for some original interesting content for the main page. Come on now, time to clear out the cobwebs and spruce up this site a little.


The entire front page is dated. Pretty much only the forum is going.
calypso
 
Posts: 20
Joined: December 19th, 2016, 2:19 am

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby robotreviews » March 9th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Yes, the site is definitely in need of a major overhaul.

The problem with the rest of the site is that the main site is Drupal, and the forum is phpBB. The method that I used to integrate the two is no longer supported, causing a lot of the functionality to break. The result is that anything that changes on the site is a lot harder to do than it should be.

I've stopped and started several new rebuilds of the site only to throw them away when it became obvious that the new systems created more problems than they solved.

None of that is a good excuse though, so I do apologize for not making it more of a priority. I promised to finally get the new site up and running this year, and it's definitely happening. I have spent A LOT of time working on the new site, and it is a ground up rebuild, which is the only realistic way to resolve the problems with the current site. It is currently going through active testing, and anyone who would like to help with testing please feel free to pm me for access.

As far as the front page goes, there was a longtime bug that made updates very difficult, but I spent the last 5 days updating, patching and troubleshooting the existing server and I was finally able to resolve the problem. Everyone should now be able to post new items to the News, Reviews, Blogs and Wiki sections - as well as create their own polls. (The function is under My Controls on the front page - Create New Content)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Craig
User avatar
robotreviews
Chief Robot
 
Posts: 996
Joined: December 26th, 2003, 2:57 am

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby Fraggboy » August 10th, 2017, 2:50 pm

robotreviews wrote:Yes, the site is definitely in need of a major overhaul.

The problem with the rest of the site is that the main site is Drupal, and the forum is phpBB. The method that I used to integrate the two is no longer supported, causing a lot of the functionality to break. The result is that anything that changes on the site is a lot harder to do than it should be.

I've stopped and started several new rebuilds of the site only to throw them away when it became obvious that the new systems created more problems than they solved.

None of that is a good excuse though, so I do apologize for not making it more of a priority. I promised to finally get the new site up and running this year, and it's definitely happening. I have spent A LOT of time working on the new site, and it is a ground up rebuild, which is the only realistic way to resolve the problems with the current site. It is currently going through active testing, and anyone who would like to help with testing please feel free to pm me for access.

As far as the front page goes, there was a longtime bug that made updates very difficult, but I spent the last 5 days updating, patching and troubleshooting the existing server and I was finally able to resolve the problem. Everyone should now be able to post new items to the News, Reviews, Blogs and Wiki sections - as well as create their own polls. (The function is under My Controls on the front page - Create New Content)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Craig


Craig,

I am back! I tried sending you a PM earlier, but it's still stuck in the outbox. Anyways if you are still looking for feedback on the new site, let me know.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
User avatar
Fraggboy
Robot Master
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: March 2nd, 2007, 4:13 pm
Location: In sunny California

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby robotreviews » August 10th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Fraggboy wrote:
Craig,

I am back! I tried sending you a PM earlier, but it's still stuck in the outbox. Anyways if you are still looking for feedback on the new site, let me know.


It's not stuck, it's just the way the system works. The message stays in the outbox until the recipient logs back into the forum and get's message notification. I have quite a few messages still in my outbox. The oldest one is from 2009. It was from a person who thought he was being censored by the site. He posted in this thread, and also sent me a PM.

I responded to his message on May 11th, 2009.

He never logged back in to see it.

To this day, it still haunts me... :lol:

Someday you will see my response WA98296.

Someday....
User avatar
robotreviews
Chief Robot
 
Posts: 996
Joined: December 26th, 2003, 2:57 am

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby mfortuna » August 10th, 2017, 6:58 pm

My oldest outbox message is from 2012. I still have not given up hope.....
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
User avatar
mfortuna
Robot Master
 
Posts: 5780
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 10:35 am
Location: NH

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby a1robotrepair » August 11th, 2017, 5:41 pm

I also would be delighted to help with the new site checkout, if still needed. I didn't pm for fear of the dreaded outbox ghosts.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master
 
Posts: 848
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 8:40 am

Re: Get rid of the ancient Karcher poll on the main page

Postby robotreviews » August 11th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Thanks for the offers to help on the new site. Unfortunately, circumstances have prevented me from devoting a lot of time to the project recently, so there isn't much to test at the moment.

I will try to get some work done this weekend for those that wish to help with testing again. I'll try to open it up as soon as possible, but if I don't then feel free to nag me. Honestly, that helps more than you would think! ;)
User avatar
robotreviews
Chief Robot
 
Posts: 996
Joined: December 26th, 2003, 2:57 am


Return to Site Suggestions and Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeldBroe, Rar9, Snokia, vic7767, zebgelatchi and 435 guests