The best vacuum robot for carpets???

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

The best vacuum robot for carpets???

Postby piokrza » June 15th, 2009, 4:58 pm

My whole house is covered by medium piled carpets. Did someone know which of cleaning robots will be the best for this?
piokrza
Robot Master

Re: The best vacuum robot for carpets???

Postby Fraggboy » June 15th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Any Roomba does very well on carpet, regardless of series. It picks up debris well, while vacuuming up smaller debris. Granted, the Roomba does have it's issues.

I can't comment on any other robotic vacuum.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby wwallender » June 16th, 2009, 3:36 pm

roomba is the best
wwallender

Postby Tearstone » June 16th, 2009, 4:18 pm

That Samsung bot looks pretty slick, but I imagine if you are in the USA the Roomba is the best bet.

However, unless there is someone on this forum that has actually owned all of them, no one can be certain which one is the 'best'.
Russ Sanderlin
Roomba 550, Scooba 5800
Tearstone

Postby arief » June 16th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Hi,

I've owned the samsung (sold it now) and roomba 560. The samsung will not work well with medium to thick carpet unless to do some mod. But by doing the mod you would sacrifice it's efficiency in cleaning hard floors. Roomba works quite well on both hardfloors and carpet without any modifications. I heard the trilobite (electrolux) does a good job on carpets because of the high vacuum power.

Arief
current robots: Roomba 560, LG roboking,, scooba 380, ambrogioL50 (lawn mower), Karcher RC3000,Neato XV-11
past robots: Samsung VE70V, irobot dirt dog (died)
arief
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » July 1st, 2009, 4:08 pm

Yes, the Trilobite does a good job on my med. pile carpet. Much better than my Roombas. The Roombas are delegated to the ceramic tile floors which they do great on those. Unfortunately the Trilobite is not sold anymore here in the US. You may luck upon one on Ebay every once in a while.
EW
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby Quitch » April 6th, 2010, 7:25 pm

With the introduction of the aerovac, has Roomba taken the lead in the carpet arena?
Quitch
Robot Groupie

Postby bhylak » April 7th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Not at all. Our upstairs is covered with a medium height carpet. I use a Roomba Disco to clean that amazingly. on hardfloor, I found it to go to fast and not do as well.
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby twistdh » August 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

if you have an expensive carpet do it manually, is better...

if you have a "cheap" carpet with short height (1/1.5 cm max) you can also use a vacuum. i use the mi robot vacuum for one entire floor (there is also 2 carpet of more or less 1cm height) and it do a great job.

but i clean my persian merino carpet (it is almost 55/60 years old) manually with a wet broom (i don't know if is the right term, in italian is "scopa di saggina").

i don't know if there is a better robot for carpet
twistdh

Postby glnc222 » September 10th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I have used early Roomba's, Neato XV's, and Samsung Powerbots on wall-to-wall carpeting, and got the Powerbot just for the carpet performance, besides other features (one of the early camera guided systems compared to the Neato laser guidance). None of the robots can operate on deep pile carpet as the wheels are too small and the bot just sinks into the plush, like trying to drive through a corn field. The Powerbot 9000 series has larger, 4 inch wheels compared to 3 inch wheels on Neato and Roomba robots -- similar to the old Trilobite robots.

Another factor is the unexpected way in which carpets can become slippery and the robot loses traction. Some carpet materials can even have waxy chemicals in the fibers. Some modifications -- slider supports -- were posted to overcome this limitation somewhat on Neato robots. The Samsung robots have better wheel tread construction as well, and the most expensive top 9350 model even has flexible wheel rims for higher traction.

A third factor I investigated is how the vacuum intake and brush work on carpet, studied with dirt collection measurements over long periods. The Powerbot intake design is similar to full size vacuums with an opening pressing flat onto the carpet, while it was noticed Neato's intake has a partly forward opening. This can limit suction down into the carpet pile. Test showed some improvement over the experience with Neato XV and Botvac's, but more data could be useful to measure exactly (no longer possible without the Neato). It is also very tedious requiring work over long periods -- to collect enough dirt...

I do not have data on how well Roomba's intake system with dual rollers works.

None of these low power, brush based robots can work as well as a full size vacuum with 10 times more power, and originally created just for carpet cleaning a century ago. Tests show that frequent robot use can prevent dirt build up in the carpet allowing them to be useful.

Just because the Powerbot was preferred for carpet performance does not mean it has no other problems requiring simple modifications. I have not found any of the robots able to perform without some kind of fix for problems with aspects of particular furniture and flooring (the most common I expect is the poor design of the cliff sensors which are confused by some black colors, now finally improved supposedly in the newest Sept. 2018 Roomba model announced; a technical thread in the hacking forum explains some of the technology involved in cliff sensors). All sorts of bumper problems also had to be solved.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby edwardmorrison » September 11th, 2018, 6:11 am

The Eufy Robovac 11S will clean almost every nook of your house, yet you’ll barely notice it. Plenty of robots are good and affordable now, but none of them blend into the background like the 11S does—and testing dozens of robots while I work from home has proven that noise is one of the barriers that has stopped me from running bots more often than I already do. The 11S sounds more like a fan than a vacuum, and it shouldn’t suck your attention or get on your nerves even if you’re in the same room while it’s running. It’s one of the bots that’s least-likely to get stuck and quit cleaning mid-session, and it is strong and persistent enough to actually pick up more debris in some situations than bots that cost two or three times as much.
edwardmorrison

Return to All Other Robots