Dyson 360 Eye

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Re: Dyson 360 Eye

Postby gregj » December 6th, 2016, 8:40 am

I think things have improved since November 2015
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » December 6th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Yep, they "improve it" - adding power selection feature through app, so it work a little longer on single battery charge but with less suction, just like Samsung Powerbot on "silent" (weak) mode or Roomba with disabled (weak) carpet boost. That's one real "improvement".
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 8th, 2016, 5:33 pm

December 2016 on display in U.S. Best Buy stores. Until seen in person you do not sense how tiny it is, like an overgrown coffee mug. Can't find the brew button.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Tofu » January 10th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I took advantage of the mixed initial reaction and ordered an ever-so-slightly-used-then-returned 360 Eye at a bit of a discount, and I have to say so far (about a week) I love it. Really impressed, and very happy with my choice.

I'll write up some more details on what the product does well and what its weaknesses are, but in the meantime I did want to share an illuminating anecdote: I told a friend of mine that I had ordered a robot vacuum, and I said it was a Dyson, and her immediate response was, "Well then it's of course going to be awesome!" She is a teacher with little to no technical expertise, and knows very little about products in this space.

I think iRobot has some meaningful tech advantages with the Roomba, and their brand is pretty strong, but that says a lot about Dyson's reputation.

third_deg, I am very much looking forward to seeing the tech you've hinted at (and your username hints at…). The Roomba AeroForce extractors are a great innovation that I have to imaging you're rightly proud of. You're starting at a brand deficit compared to your two top competitors — Roomba and Dyson, the rest of the names (including "iRobot", who the hell knows that name) are not household names, at least in the US — but if you have an unshakeable focus on building positive experiences for your customers at every moment, then brand will follow. Good luck.
Tofu

Postby third_deg » January 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Thanks for call out!

Yes brand is a very big deal. I've read Dyson reviews claiming it's the best when they never actually tested it or compared it to another brand, based completely on expectation.

The Aeroforce was a nice invention, that I'm reasonably happy with. But it was created to be the biggest boost in performance I could get without changing the basic Roomba architecture.

What I'm creating now is what happens when I have a clean sheet to work from.
third_deg
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » January 11th, 2017, 1:39 pm

third_deg wrote:What I'm creating now is what happens when I have a clean sheet to work from.

:cheers:
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » January 11th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Let's keep this on topic please. This topic is for the Dyson 360 Eye. Third _deg, feel free to create your own topic and keep us up to date.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Tofu » January 11th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I would support a third_deg robot hint thread…
Tofu

Postby Tofu » January 11th, 2017, 10:50 pm

This is how I feel when I watch the 360 Eye climb over stuff with its tank tracks:

Tofu

Postby Tofu » January 18th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Still planning to write up my thoughts on the 360 Eye now that I've had it a week or two, but in the meantime I thought I'd mention that I've been surprised that the small bin size hasn't been an issue for me. I live in a two-bedroom apartment with hard floors and a cat, and run the robot daily. I empty the bin each day, and it ranges from full-ish to just-sorta-maybe-half-full. No issues yet.

Like on my Dyson handheld, emptying the bin is super easy and convenient. I like that.

Still guessing the Roomba 980 is a better overall product for most people at this time, but as an engineering manager and technology enthusiast I like experimenting with the new, and the 360 Eye has been excellent and is doing a great job.
Tofu

Postby jann » April 3rd, 2017, 2:17 pm

vic7767 wrote:I would hope that those robot manufacturers that offer some type of access via WiFi to flash firmware for new features as well as patches for fixes would also have a golden firmware load that could be accessed and downloaded using a ROM bootloader if firmware corruption was experienced. Some folks could learn from the NeatoRobotics fiasco.

Anybody remember 300 baud dial-up modems ?

I laughed at this cos when I unboxed my Neato Robotics BotVac Connected on Friday it demanded to update firmware. I then had to call my husband at work to have him buy and bring home a "compatible" USB thumb drive cos it wouldn't accept any of the three I had. (Lexar USB3 64GB finally worked) but in essence THAT alone increased the cost of the vacuum by $29.99!

How much would it have cost to ship the darn vacuum with an inexpensive jump drive?
jann

Postby glnc222 » April 3rd, 2017, 3:20 pm

Curious what is going on with firmware updates. Dyson, Samsung, and I think Roomba just does it over WiFi (as do phones, and I think printers). Maybe the flash drive is used in case updating the WiFi software? There are software techniques to handle this, with proper robot hardware -- maybe missing in Neato?. Neato has always had issues of details in updating software; it is a specialty in programming.
Just having WiFi or update ability does not mean any improvements in operating software, compared to gross bug fixes, will be supplied. Samsung did not do this. They want to sell new hardware to cover software costs, hardly unique to robots. The most bug fixes seem to be for the complexities of WiFi itself, a changing external technology, with similarities to general purpose PC software (I'm not a fan of WiFi apps, just for vacuums, for full disclosure).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jann » April 3rd, 2017, 3:31 pm

Well, just had Neato BotVac Connected "hit the wall" again and refused to realize my wall wasn't something she could move. Funny cos my old XV-21 didn't do this.

I've decide to go to Best Buy to buy the Dyson 360 eye in around 10 minutes...

BTW: What do you do for "virtual walls" or "border strips" for the Dyson? Put a baby gate across the doorway? Just wondering cos I am gonna have to deal with that during testing.
jann

Postby vic7767 » April 3rd, 2017, 3:58 pm

jann wrote:BTW: What do you do for "virtual walls" or "border strips" for the Dyson? Put a baby gate across the doorway?
Either what you just suggested or any other type of physical barrier. The Dyson 360 does not have the ability to detect IR virtual wall accessories and respond to them. The cliff detect IR sensors will respond to non-reflective black paint or similar strips if you want to try something like that. You may have to experiment with different shades of flat black as well as the material it is applied to.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jann » April 3rd, 2017, 5:01 pm

Okay... got her (Name: Mabel).

Just thinking out loud here...but wondering if the Neato mag strips (of which I have many) are dark enough and non-reflective enough to act as "cliff-detect IR deterrents".. Gonna try that or something along same lines later.

Thanks all...
jann

Postby glnc222 » April 3rd, 2017, 5:33 pm

I tried a lot of black materials including some auto stealth paint without success. It seems certain Ikea rugs and some hard floor materials fool the sensors. There was some "keep off" black material sold to fool Roomba sensors with mixed reviews; check Amazon. [edit] apparently now out of business -- perhaps because not reliable in the end.

For mechanical barriers consider right angle wood moldings and right angle transparent plastic wall corner guards in hardware (the plastic can be cut with scissors; get larger 1 1/8 in. size), to engage the bumper. A bit of velcro on the floor might be used to secure temporarily, all depending on the case. The plastic is good for making a wiring channel against walls for cords. Also 3M Command adhesive picture hanging strips like velcro but won't damage flooring with the glue.

[edit] cover plastic with tape if wanted opaque.

The thing is materials black in the visible spectrum can still reflect in IR, besides which IR Proximity sensors are pretty bright IR emitters and the floor very close for brightest reflection, unlike weak lidar beams.
Last edited by glnc222 on April 3rd, 2017, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jann » April 3rd, 2017, 5:51 pm

jann wrote:Okay... got her (Name: Mabel).

Just thinking out loud here...but wondering if the Neato mag strips (of which I have many) are dark enough and non-reflective enough to act as "cliff-detect IR deterrents".. Gonna try that or something along same lines later.

Thanks all...

FYI to all, they didn't work... :cry:
jann

Postby glnc222 » April 3rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

What sort of area or passage do you want to block off?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jann » April 3rd, 2017, 6:03 pm

One: a 31" wide hallway entryway to a bedroom
Two: a 41" wide hallway entry to a set of rooms
three: a 61" entry to a kitchen.

I don't know what my builder's preoccupation with odd-width hallways was. :)
jann

Postby glnc222 » April 3rd, 2017, 6:16 pm

Besides closing doors look into some sort of temporary barrier across passages maybe secured to the walls besides the floor. Sometimes propping a shelf board could be handy, and similar 1/4 in. boards are available at Lowe's, maybe Home Depot (requiring saw to cut to size, though there is a hand saw for moldings in Home Depot aisle; store may also do cutting service for fee).

There are ways to use cardboard with right angle bracing for stiffness.

Dyson is designed for small spaces which would usually have doors, or just clean the entirety. To clean a large space it can take more than a day with multiple charging cycles taking hours each (with questions whether the dust bin is too small).
glnc222
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to All Other Robots