How well does Trilobite (vs. Roomba) do with several rooms?

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Postby eqwalker » April 20th, 2007, 8:08 am

I went back to "letsautomate" website and noticed that they added the wording that they could only sell the Trilobite to UK and Europe customers due to warranty reasons. When I purchased my ZA2 back some time ago they did not have this message. I guess Electrolux is putting pressure on them to not sell them to the US anymore.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby debugger » April 20th, 2007, 8:29 am

eqwalker wrote:I went back to "letsautomate" website and noticed that they added the wording that they could only sell the Trilobite to UK and Europe customers due to warranty reasons. When I purchased my ZA2 back some time ago they did not have this message. I guess Electrolux is putting pressure on them to not sell them to the US anymore.

How much would you guys in the US be willing to pay for this kind of item?

I could buy it in the UK for ?699.95 delivered to me (current special offer), I could send to US for ?37.99 (no insurance). That would equate to $1462 - without taking into account any listing/paypal fees etc.

How much more would you be willing to pay and would anyone be interested?
debugger
Robot Addict

Postby newmom » April 20th, 2007, 8:52 am

How much would you guys in the US be willing to pay for this kind of item?

I could buy it in the UK for ?699.95 delivered to me (current special offer), I could send to US for ?37.99 (no insurance). That would equate to $1462 - without taking into account any listing/paypal fees etc.

What quantity are you talking about?
New Mom to four irobots
newmom
Robot Addict

Postby debugger » April 20th, 2007, 10:43 am

newmom wrote:What quantity are you talking about?

I was just offering to help if there are a few people who really want these - I am in the UK and they will supply to me. I don't make a business of this kind of thing - so I could only deal with small numbers.

If someone really wanted to get one of these and didn't mind about no US support/warranty, etc. as it was a UK sourced product then I could oblige.

It would be a bit like me buying a Roomba from the US and the local choice is expensive and not all the models are available here.

There would need to be a little built into the costs to make it worth the hassle for me.

How may were you thinking of?
debugger
Robot Addict

Postby newmom » April 20th, 2007, 10:47 am

debugger wrote:
newmom wrote:What quantity are you talking about?

I was just offering to help if there are a few people who really want these - I am in the UK and they will supply to me. I don't make a business of this kind of thing - so I could only deal with small numbers.

If someone really wanted to get one of these and didn't mind about no US support/warranty, etc. as it was a UK sourced product then I could oblige.

It would be a bit like me buying a Roomba from the US and the local choice is expensive and not all the models are available here.

There would need to be a little built into the costs to make it worth the hassle for me.

How may were you thinking of?

Oh, I thought we were talking about the filters for the Trilobite :roll:
New Mom to four irobots
newmom
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » April 21st, 2007, 10:28 am

Debugger, thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind. I was thinking about an extra charging base for my ZA2, so if I decide to get one later I will definitely give you a shout. Also, if any of my other family members decide they want one, then at least, we can get one. Thanks for offering to do this for us.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby newmom » April 21st, 2007, 10:33 am

eqwalker wrote:Debugger, thanks for the offer. I will keep you in mind. I was thinking about an extra charging base for my ZA2, so if I decide to get one later I will definitely give you a shout. Also, if any of my other family members decide they want one, then at least, we can get one. Thanks for offering to do this for us.

Yes, this is great news, that we have a European nice guy on our list that is willing to help us. :D Could this work for filters too? I don't like the idea of having to pay 7.00 per filter which is what Electrolux quoted me on the phone. I plan to reuse my filters but I am not sure I can do that for the next ten years, never tried before.
New Mom to four irobots
newmom
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » April 21st, 2007, 10:38 am

I understand newmom. I bought 2 boxes of 10 and I sometimes just vacuum off the filters with my canister Big Vac and later as they get dirtier and wash them. They have been holding up very well so far....
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby debugger » April 21st, 2007, 10:54 am

newmom wrote:Yes, this is great news, that we have a European nice guy on our list that is willing to help us. :D Could this work for filters too? I don't like the idea of having to pay 7.00 per filter which is what Electrolux quoted me on the phone. I plan to reuse my filters but I am not sure I can do that for the next ten years, never tried before.

I looked at filters and I think if you shop around you can get them cheaper than $7 each even in the US. You've got to bear in mind that I'd have to buy them, get them delivered to me and then send them out to you so it may not really be cheaper in the long run. Just search the UK sites and if you see something at a really good price let me know.

Another thing is that the dollar exchange rate is not going in your favour at the moment - US stuff is really cheap for us, but the reverse is true for you.
debugger
Robot Addict

Postby RuthHK » June 16th, 2008, 12:15 am

Hi there,

Sorry to bother you! I am from Hong Kong and my sister in Canada just told me that she has a Roomba 540 that works quite well. So now that I have made up my mind to buy myself one of these robotic vacuum cleaners, and I am trying to figure out which one is really better, Trilobite or Roomba.

I have read your comments written almost two years ago. I like to know if you still believe Trilobite is a much superior equipment worth the money. What about the negative someone mentioned about Trilobite -"One negative is the Trilobite doesn?t get as close to the walls as the Roomba since it never touches the walls and doesn?t have a side brush". Does this mean that you have to clean all the edges of the walls yourself manually? (FYI - I have all hardwood floors in my flat with two low pile silk carpets).

eqwalker wrote:Well, the ZA2 arrived and after I built a power adapter to plug the charger base in, I let it charge up and started it up. I have to say, the Trilobite is definitely a good performer. It has much more suction than the Roomba and does have this certain amount of superior intelligence to it. It is very well constructed and performed well on my med. pile carpet. Other than it trying to dock to my subwoofer after it completed it's cleaning cycle, it operated perfectly. Even after several attempts to dock to my subwoofer it finally gave up and went on around the wall till it did get back to it's charger. All in all, a fine piece of equipment. And, of course, for the price, it should be. Although, I will say I paid less than the Amercan version of the Trilobite even getting it from overseas.
RuthHK

Postby eqwalker » June 16th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Hi Ruth,

You are right that the Trilobite does not get right up against the walls. I only run the ones I have on med pile carpet. They get as close as my upright (Oreck) does when I do them by hand (roughly about an inch from the wall). The vacuum power from the Trilobite is pretty strong so on hardwood or tile it might pull a lot from the wall to it. The Roomba, on the other hand, does not have much vacuum power and it does not pull it's suction air around it's brushes like an ordinary upright or the Trilobite. It simply uses it's brushes as a sweeper then right behind them is a squeegee like rubber wiper with a small gap between the two rubber squeegees that pulls the fine dirt up into the unit. I use my Roomba's on ceramic tile and they do well on that. I would be satisfied that the Trilobite would do just as well on the tile except the Trilobite is just a little taller than the Roomba and it hits the bottom edge of my cabinets and will not go all the way under the bottom lip to the kickboard. As far as quality of build, the Trilobite wins hands down over the Roomba. The Roomba is simply not designed to last very long, hence, it's cheaper price than the Trilobite. The Trilobite is a quality built machine that has taken zero maintenance (other than lubing the beater bar bearings when I first received them) since I have put them into operation. The Roomba's take constant care to keep them from destroying themselves. Don't get me wrong, I do like Roomba's (I've got about 10 of them), but they do take attention to keep them functional. Hope this helps you out.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby RuthHK » June 17th, 2008, 4:05 am

Hi eqwalker,

Your reply certainly helps me decide what I will l buy - Trilobite - for reasons of zero maintenance (I certainly do not want to spend the vacuuming time I save on cleaning/maintaining the unit), cleaner results and more durability. I have cabinet kickboards in my kitchen, two of my rooms and the two bathrooms. But then I thought to just use a MagicClean paper mop to wipe the edges of these cabinets which will take me probably less than 5 minutes to do them all. At any rate, many thanks for your comments and advice. Take care.
RuthHK

Postby spons » June 20th, 2008, 9:15 am

I have a series one trilobite, had it for about 2 and a half years now and the Battery is not chrgeing well anymore but it's over ?100 for a new one. also there seems to be some kind of problem between the base and the trilobite it doesn't hook onto the charger very well any more but that aside it has been pretty maintanence free. It is nowhere near as good as the roomba for Dog hairs on a carpet though and I often have to get the roomba out of another room to clear the hairs the trilobite left behind.
spons

Re: How well does Trilobite (vs. Roomba) do with several roo

Postby vacuumboy98 » October 22nd, 2012, 10:08 pm

Sorry to reopen this topic. I have just bought a Electrolux Trilobite for my collection of robots, but the battery is really bad. Where is a good place to buy a replacement battery, and parts like the beater bar? I could also rebuild the battery, but I have no instructions on how to do so. Thanks, Patrick.
vacuumboy98
Robot Addict

Postby eqwalker » October 31st, 2012, 11:16 am

I, too, am going to have to finally try to locate some new batteries for my Trilobites. I have 4 Trilobites (3 reds and 1 ZA2 [silver/gold from Europe]). They have been running for years now and the batteries are finally beginning to go bad. I have not been successful finding any on Ebay and have been thinking about taking one of the batteries apart and seeing if I can build a battery pack for it. I have not had to replace any of the beater bars for them yet (they run on carpet only) but it would appear that the replacement rubber fins that you can get for the Neato XV-11 might be the exact same thing. I will have to look and see at one of my XV-11's and see.
eqwalker
Robot Addict

Postby vacuumboy98 » October 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I tried fitting the Neato's rubber beater blades on the Trilobite and it doesn't fit. The Neato's are too short and thick. Also what I saw was there is a slant on the Electrolux's blade compared to the Neato's flat blade. I have seen a few places selling each battery for around $55 but when I will have to purchase 2 it will be a whopping $110. Are you thinking of selling one of your Trilobite's to me?(; I am impressed on the performance, but when I first got mine one of the sensors had popped into the robot and the bumper was cracked. So I fixed those issues but I think there is something still wrong. Thanks, Patrick.
vacuumboy98
Robot Addict

Postby Parker » November 19th, 2012, 8:26 pm

There are some cheap trilobite batteries on the UK Ebay at the moment. £25 each. Don't know if they are any good. They don't ship to the US, but might be worth getting in touch with the vendor. Failing that, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-b ... 460521aff6
Parker
Robot Groupie

Postby meanmarv » December 1st, 2012, 11:00 pm

Husqvarna remote mower uses the same battery packs. Also the emerging business of rebuilding battery packs for cordless drills like Interstate Batteries or Batteries Plus have the equipment to build the packs with a bonding/welding machine to connect the 15 cells per battery pack.
meanmarv

Previous

Return to All Other Robots