Mi Robot vacuum

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Re: Mi Robot vacuum

Postby jesi » April 21st, 2017, 12:47 am

Yep, that is issue =(

I have reported that many months ago.

Only trick is put painters masking tape to bottom sensors, but then there is no cliff detection anymore.

Maybe we all send report to xiaomi, so they really understand that this is issue what should be fixed ASAP?
jesi

Postby glnc222 » April 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm

All brands of robots have this problem with dark floors because of the standard type of proximity detectors used, depending on intensity of reflected light beams off the floor. Covering the cliff sensors is the standard treatment.
The detectors work with a lot of visibly black materials, but apparently certain carpets and hard floors are uniquely absorbing in IR light.

I am experimenting with an alternative method using parallax which would require making custom sensor PCB's and still might not work. Will see, but higher costs could be incurred. Will report in the hacking forum.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Panache » April 23rd, 2017, 9:10 pm

My Xiaomi gives an error message with wall to wall carpet that the brush is dirty, but I just clear the error and resume the cleaning. Usually, it finishes with no issues. Very little dirt on the brush overall, seems the unit is mostly engineered for hard surfaces so if it picks up too much resistance in the brush, it gives an error. Would probably not recommend the unit for shag wall to wall carpeting (but then again it's not 1980 anymore!)
Panache

Postby indiahill » April 23rd, 2017, 9:50 pm

glnc222 wrote:All brands of robots have this problem with dark floors because of the standard type of proximity detectors used, depending on intensity of reflected light beams off the floor. Covering the cliff sensors is the standard treatment.
The detectors work with a lot of visibly black materials, but apparently certain carpets and hard floors are uniquely absorbing in IR light.

I am experimenting with an alternative method using parallax which would require making custom sensor PCB's and still might not work. Will see, but higher costs could be incurred. Will report in the hacking forum.

wow you are an expert! looking forward to your report.
indiahill

Postby petermet » April 28th, 2017, 8:49 am

I have a Xiaomi vacuum, only a month old. One of the wheel assemblies is not working. The wheel is stiffer that the other to turn and sounds different. I have open the case and removed both assemblies. There is nothing wrapped around it and I suspect the motor has died.

I have looked online for a replacement assembly but cant find one or the manufacturers contact details. Can anyone help. Sending back the machine seems overkill as I would need to pay for postage back to China.
petermet

Postby oldsalt » April 28th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Had this thing for a week now and I’m pretty impressed. I have nothing to compare to as this my first robot vacuum.

Question I have is, is there a way to operate it using the app without being online?
If I manually push the power button it will start it’s job. (doing it for the first time as I write this) However mapping does not work.
I guess my question is, why does it have to be online for the mapping to work and display if the unit is connected to my network but my modem is off? And, where is that information going?

Apologies if this question has been raised previously. I have only gotten through about half the posts.

Thanks for any information.

**Update** The Mi Robot will do a complete job but the mapping will not appear in the app until the app goes online. So obviously the information from the vac goes to a server (Xiaomi?) and then gets uploaded to the app.
Any way around this?
oldsalt

Postby hellfi » April 29th, 2017, 5:16 am

Depends how much time/money you are willing to spend, but probably the answer is no, no way around this.
Few options: Set up your own server with a valid certificate for the xiaomi "cloud" services, reverse engineer their server, recreate the infrastructure to accept the robot's uploads
Get access to the robot's OS, change the server address
hellfi

Postby oldsalt » May 2nd, 2017, 2:29 am

hellfi wrote:Depends how much time/money you are willing to spend, but probably the answer is no, no way around this.
Few options: Set up your own server with a valid certificate for the xiaomi "cloud" services, reverse engineer their server, recreate the infrastructure to accept the robot's uploads
Get access to the robot's OS, change the server address

helfi -Thanks for responding.

I'd just like to be able to buy something and be on my way, like the old days, and not be tethered to someone to use it.
oldsalt

Postby hellfi » May 2nd, 2017, 5:10 am

I'm afraid we (as in customers) lost this battle somewhere around the first iphone. Hopefully someone sometime will get access to a firmware and investigate into ssh access or other means of truly owning what is yours.
hellfi

Postby Hamedmo » May 5th, 2017, 2:24 pm

H there
I have a mi vacuum..it's very good robot
Device recently updated to new firmware. Version number is: 3.3.6_003061

Anyone knows what is changed?
I search the web but there was no any changelog :shock:
Hamedmo

Postby Hamedmo » May 5th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Successfully updated :D
Attachments
IMG_3856.PNG
Hamedmo

Postby indiahill » May 8th, 2017, 3:36 am

it seems that mi server only show Chinese version release notes, no English version release notes
indiahill

Postby Sapoide » May 8th, 2017, 5:29 am

Is the update only avialable for China region? I have set the app for USA and i do not have the update.
Sapoide

Postby Hamedmo » May 10th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Sapoide wrote:Is the update only avialable for China region? I have set the app for USA and i do not have the update.

I use main land china.
Hamedmo

Postby saba11 » May 11th, 2017, 4:49 am

I've had Xiaomi Vacuum and it was decent. But it was my first purchase so I didn't knew about other great manufacturers. When I found out about Botvac, I purchased it without a second thought. I currently own the Neato Botvac D80 and it's incredible.

I gave the Xiaomi to my parents and they still use it quite effectively. They always freak out when a new updates comes out! :D
saba11

Postby grin » May 11th, 2017, 5:19 am

Can you elaborate a little about differences and why you prefer the botvac?
grin

Postby bhuser » May 11th, 2017, 10:39 am

We have medium to tall carpet throughout our entire home and I'm finding the mi vacuum goes backwards and forwards in circles. It feels related to carpet depth, and spends most of its time backing up. The carpet isn't dark and the error it is giving is error 8, there are obstacles that need to be cleared. Is there anything I can try to get around this?

Thanks
bhuser

Postby glnc222 » May 11th, 2017, 1:59 pm

carpet limitations

Vacuum robots have not been able to operate on deep pile carpet since their inception. The wheels are not large enough for the difficult material. Some makers advise about this in their manuals, but mostly the industry does not advertise the limitation. The small robots sink into deep carpet and are equivalent to a car in a corn field.
Besides the bumpers and other sensors, robots can detect obstacles by monitoring the wheels, for things below or above the bumper etc., so difficulty with traction or stalling can trigger the same response as bumping things.

For Neato robots users made some improvement by adding some cardboard to the bottom to lift the body of the robot off the pile, forming a slider, like runners on a sleigh or water skis, or slider pads for moving furniture (thread "slick carpet effect" in Neato forum). The Xiaomi has a vertically moving intake adapting to floor conditions whose effect on drag on carpet is not clear. It is not very hard to experiment with this approach.

Besides the pile height carpets can get slippery and the wheels slip; fluffy textile is hard to grip in general, conforming around the tread, somewhat like floating on water. It would take a lot of weight to get traction. Designs may not put the full weight of the robot on the drive wheels, shifting to rear or front roller etc.

Thirty per cent larger four inch wheels on Samsung Powerbots (larger 9000 series) can do a little better on some carpets but the company still warns about deep carpet. An old Trilobot robot also had such larger wheels for superior travel. The Powerbot can move on some fluffy bath rugs which defeat a Neato robot; however, the edges of the rugs get pushed up by the bot when climbing onto it, unless the edges where glued to the floor, not good for the flooring finish (maybe 3M Command Adhesive strips could be used, made to preserve finishes). A low end minimal Powerbot has been offered at $300 in competition with other low priced robots.

[edit] The Dyson has tank tracks which work better on carpet, but are not made for that reason: the bot is so small there is no room for ordinary wheels. Dyson is expensive and oriented towards small spaces with short run time in favor of high suction.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » May 25th, 2017, 1:20 am

Spare Parts
AliExpress carries some Xiaomi Mi spare parts e.g. wheel assembly:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-piece-Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-Wheels-Including-Right-Wheel-Assembly-replacement-for-xiaomi-Mi-robotisc-Sweeper/32812528075.html?trace=msiteDetail2pcDetail

Lot of repairs discussed in Germany at Roboter-Forum.com.

Apparently on the Gearbest warranty customer must pay shipping back to China. Not uncommon with electronics, manufacturer warranty compared to dealer return policies. Cheapest prices at dealers without generous returns, restocking fees, worthwhile for proven quality brands.

U.S. Prices
Now listed on Amazon U.S. by third parties only. U.S. locations ask around $430 compared to Asian dealers under $300. Not a huge discount over established brands in the U.S. cheaper models, but may be more equipped like the higher end models. Not major third parties, though, could be risky. See if Amazon guarantee applies, with displayed listing notice.

Some AliExpress parts:
1 piece Robot Vacuum Cleaner Wheels, Including Right Wheel Assembly Replacement for xiaomi Mi robotisc Sweeper
http://s.aliexpress.com/QB7RZZBb

1 piece Robot Vacuum Cleaner Left Wheel, Including wheel mounting replacement for xiaomi Mi robotisc sweeper
http://s.aliexpress.com/f6ZbY3aI

LDS for Xiaomi Mi robot vacuum cleaner
http://s.aliexpress.com/Q3IvUbMn

Replacement battery for Xiaomi Mi robot vacuum cleaner
http://s.aliexpress.com/IzUZzuUF
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby NeilF » June 2nd, 2017, 5:50 am

Interested in getting on one of these and have a couple of questions:-
Any other comments/views on it?

Thanks!