Mi Robot vacuum

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Re: Mi Robot vacuum

Postby pjnagel » November 16th, 2017, 11:06 am

t got mine yesterday, it stopped working after 1-2 hours of use. Now it only gives a few halting steps forward from its charging base, and the stops, complaining about Error 1, and suggest I see if its laser sensor is stuck.

Laser still spins freely, and I can see the diode shining red.

Google search reveals quite a few other people with robots DOA with same problem.
pjnagel
Robot Groupie

Postby skyone » November 19th, 2017, 8:47 am

but from what i read the new filter has 95% filtration efficiency while the old filter has 99% efficiency... so the question is, washable with less filtration or not washable with better filtration?
anyway since i can't wash the filter sometime i use a high power vacuum to have it clean again.
Filtration System Efficiency

The older generation Mi model had HEPA filters. The newer generation ditches the HEPA efficiency for a single trait, reusability. That’s right, the Mi Robot Vacuum 2 comes with washable filters, which can be washed and reused without the need for replacing it every few months. This drastically cuts down on the maintenance cost. However, unlike some other brands, Mi does not include extra filters, which would have been a welcome addition to the accessory kit. The difference between the E11 filter (95%) which is inside the new Xiaomi and the old HEPA (99%) may not be noticeable by most, but it may weight in if you’re suffering from asthma or allergies.
skyone

Postby meu » November 21st, 2017, 7:55 am

skyone wrote:but from what i read the new filter has 95% filtration efficiency while the old filter has 99% efficiency... so the question is, washable with less filtration or not washable with better filtration?
anyway since i can't wash the filter sometime i use a high power vacuum to have it clean again.
Filtration System Efficiency

The older generation Mi model had HEPA filters. The newer generation ditches the HEPA efficiency for a single trait, reusability. That’s right, the Mi Robot Vacuum 2 comes with washable filters, which can be washed and reused without the need for replacing it every few months. This drastically cuts down on the maintenance cost. However, unlike some other brands, Mi does not include extra filters, which would have been a welcome addition to the accessory kit. The difference between the E11 filter (95%) which is inside the new Xiaomi and the old HEPA (99%) may not be noticeable by most, but it may weight in if you’re suffering from asthma or allergies.

That's an important point. if washability comes with lose of filtering and HEPA capabilities, I'll stick with the older version and clean it with a corded vacuum, as I'm doing to date.

That said, expect for the MiHome availability of send the vacuum to just a place in the map, I don't see any other big improvement with the new robot version. Moping is nice, but i don't want my robot to mop the wc, kitchen and rest of rooms in the same run without properly clean the mop.
meu

Postby zebgelatchi » November 22nd, 2017, 8:27 am

Thanks Boogieman, ( this is my first post, brilliant forum !) have just received my robot, gone through your comprehensive instructions, and Voila !! It all works perfectly, and in English voice too. Thanks for saving me much time and effort... :cheers: :thanks:

Boogieman wrote:
Mijia wrote:Hi folks with a good character,

Mihome will updated to 4.3.11 now !
Changelog :
1. optimize the login page area switching function
2. increase the Korean login area

Regards,

Me, not Mijia :-)

Here on Sweden the app is still version 4.2.5 from August 17
And robot firmware is version 3.3.9_003077

In updated app above I can't change region to mainland China so the old trick to change region and update don't seem to work any more. Also how to update app to get the"virtual cleaning area" I don't know?

Any ideas?

UPDATE:
I was a bit wrong above since I had clicked on the shortcut for the robot. When I clicked the MI home app (only containing my robot) I could change to China. I managed to update app to 4.3.15 in the following way.

1. Uninstall app
2. Reinstall app in play store 4.2.5
3. When opening app in play store it instantly ask for region (ask even before app open, play store is still shown). There I select the top choice in Chinese letters (chinese letters also on bottom of list but I think that means "other" as in the app, and that choice is really slow for Europe)
4. Open app and sign in
5. Go to settings for the app and check for updates (not settings for robot)
6. Update will proceed "outside play store" to 4.3.15 (some questions asked like participate in xiaomi feedback program, untick the minimal tick mark if you don't want to participate)

7. Go to app settings, Change locale to USA (SINGAPORE SERVER).
When it propose that you change to USA(USA) server - DO NOT, SEE BELOW
!!! IMPORTANT !!!

DO NOT SELECT USA (USA SERVER) as it is currently impossible to pair the mi 1 robot vacuum there (believe me, I tried resetting wifi, resetting robot, direct connecting robot on wifi, connecting through normal wifi, adding manually...NOTHING WORK ON USA(USA) server at least for the old version 1 of the robot.
8. RE-ADD your schedules, do not disturb and so on. Language packs stay, but other than that most info is lost. I had some cleaning history but only for like a week in history the rest was gone.

Tried updating firmware when on China server but above seem to be the latest.

I have not found any way to select cleaning area as for the new robot v2 nor any way to add "virtual walls" so I guess the updates in the app are nothing special except mentioned in the quoted post about korean language =(
zebgelatchi

Postby NeilF » November 26th, 2017, 10:30 am

Here's a video of the new V2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_P_bFhWWE

Looks basically the same, so I assume it uses many/most of the same internals/parts?

I hope the clean region shown in the app comes to the V1?!
NeilF
Robot Groupie

Postby twistdh » November 26th, 2017, 11:42 am

Hi everybody! It's my first post and i'm writing from italy :)
I use this robot from august and it's brilliant! I hope that the custom cleaning area arrived also for this V1.
we'll see :)
twistdh

Postby indiahill » December 4th, 2017, 7:38 am

I bought v2 in China.
Yes, I think it worth the price, absolutely!
1.Previously when I used v1, I need to wipe the floor sometime.
Now I do not need the wiping step by myself, just let v2 do it.
2. it support custom zoned cleaning, i.e. you can choose an area on map, and let v2 clean that area.
indiahill

Postby NeilF » December 4th, 2017, 7:51 am

indiahill wrote:I bought v2 in China.
2. it support custom zoned cleaning, i.e. you can choose an area on map, and let v2 clean that area.

Ignoring the mop feature, how do you feel the V2 compares to the V1 on hard floors and carpets?

It looks like it's otherwise the same, with even the same internals/brushes etc? Are the brushes and wheels even the same?

Does the V2 do edges any better/close?

Shame the zoned cleaning seemingly isn't coming to the V1!!? :(
NeilF
Robot Groupie

Postby twistdh » December 4th, 2017, 2:28 pm

indiahill wrote:I bought v2 in China.

Hi,
With the v2 you con also choose an area to exclude from the cleaning? Thank you
twistdh

Postby Skyeclad » December 7th, 2017, 10:42 am

:(

Forum Friends, I need help!

It seems like my Xiaomi has died. It's apparent early demise came about in a terrible way. Unfortunately for me, one of my dogs evacuated #2 on the floor and Xiaomi decided to be helpful and clean it up. That left an amazing amount of mess to clean up both on the floor and within the body of the robot.

Well after cleaning her up as well as I could, including opening up the body and cleaning under the casing although not within the electronics. I closer her up, clean as I could get her and she would not turn on. I made sure that the battery was seated securely...nothing. I held buttons down in an attempt to restart...nothing. I set her against the dock and although she got a little warm, no sounds or lights in response.

I contacted Rockrobo and they asked a couple of obvious questions, like is the base plugged in but they quickly gave up and told me to contact the reseller, Gearbest.com. They gave me 3 choices, send it back for repair, take $30 in credit or buy a new one for $25 off retail. The only option that sounds worthwhile is sending it back for repair but I imagine that just may not be cost effective.

Is there anything that I can do to self-diagnose and repair before the decision becomes shipping cost vs write-off?
Skyeclad

Postby NeilF » December 7th, 2017, 10:46 am

Skyeclad wrote::(

Forum Friends, I need help!

It seems like my Xiaomi has died. It's apparent early demise came about in a terrible way. Unfortunately for me, one of my dogs evacuated #2 on the floor and Xiaomi decided to be helpful and clean it up. That left an amazing amount of mess to clean up both on the floor and within the body of the robot.

Well after cleaning her up as well as I could, including opening up the body and cleaning under the casing although not within the electronics. I closer her up, clean as I could get her and she would not turn on. I made sure that the battery was seated securely...nothing. I held buttons down in an attempt to restart...nothing. I set her against the dock and although she got a little warm, no sounds or lights in response.

I contacted Rockrobo and they asked a couple of obvious questions, like is the base plugged in but they quickly gave up and told me to contact the reseller, Gearbest.com. They gave me 3 choices, send it back for repair, take $30 in credit or buy a new one for $25 off retail. The only option that sounds worthwhile is sending it back for repair but I imagine that just may not be cost effective.

Is there anything that I can do to self-diagnose and repair before the decision becomes shipping cost vs write-off?
$hit!

^ Sorry, bad jokes aside... Maybe time to consider upgrading to the V2?

ps: Maybe leave the unit to dry out for 24hrs, just incase there's some moisture shorting something out?
NeilF
Robot Groupie

Postby Skyeclad » December 7th, 2017, 1:38 pm

NeilF wrote:
Skyeclad wrote::(

$hit!

^ Sorry, bad jokes aside... Maybe time to consider upgrading to the V2?

ps: Maybe leave the unit to dry out for 24hrs, just incase there's some moisture shorting something out?

Unfortunately, it's already been a couple of weeks now. No chance it's still wet if it ever was. I'm imagining that the $hitty event caused the problem but I can't figure out how it did. I only had the unit for 9 months and I replaced a wheel prior to this "bricking". I wish there was a way to diagnose the issue to be sure. I will say that it was a fantastic robot while it worked. Since it's been down, I've relied on my Roomba 650 and we can already see the dust piling up around the house.

The new unit sounds interesting but I'm skeptical that the mop feature is worth the extra money. I already have a Braava and it's nowhere near as convenient when you have to remember to fill up the reservoir.
Skyeclad

Postby krimore » December 8th, 2017, 11:24 am

The Mi Robot V1 is being cleared out at Gearbest. Found this coupon that brings the price down to $279US.

https://goo.gl/C669xj

You can use coupon: XMIVCHK

Enjoy guys. It's a limited use coupon so get it while it works. :cheers:
krimore

Postby Skyeclad » December 8th, 2017, 12:46 pm

krimore wrote:The Mi Robot V1 is being cleared out at Gearbest. Found this coupon that brings the price down to $279US.

From what I see, its $299 with $21 shipping to US or $319 with $0.13 shipping. The coupon code does not work: "Code for single unit price only; VIP Price, Special Offer or Group Deal all exempt. "
Skyeclad

Postby krimore » December 9th, 2017, 9:59 am

Skyeclad wrote:
krimore wrote:The Mi Robot V1 is being cleared out at Gearbest. Found this coupon that brings the price down to $279US.

From what I see, its $299 with $21 shipping to US or $319 with $0.13 shipping. The coupon code does not work: "Code for single unit price only; VIP Price, Special Offer or Group Deal all exempt. "

You gotta make sure you're logged into the site, I just tried it and its still working for me.
krimore

Postby BootloopBot » December 10th, 2017, 3:19 am

Not sure how some poop could have ruined the robot so bad.
I-ve watched a video online of the robot disassembly and it seems that most components are pretty isolated from external elements.
If your bot does not works, i-d say that you should disassemble it completely and try to clean it up thoroughly.

I dont think sending it in to fix is worth it. Just buy a new bot.

Mine still works great after sucking in water a couple of months ago due to a pipe leaking water in the restroom.
BootloopBot

Postby NeilF » December 10th, 2017, 6:11 am

BootloopBot wrote:Not sure how some poop could have ruined the robot so bad.
I-ve watched a video online of the robot disassembly and it seems that most components are pretty isolated from external elements.
If your bot does not works, i-d say that you should disassemble it completely and try to clean it up thoroughly.

I dont think sending it in to fix is worth it. Just buy a new bot.

Mine still works great after sucking in water a couple of months ago due to a pipe leaking water in the restroom.

Taking it apart and putting it back togethor will not help the electronics!?
NeilF
Robot Groupie

Postby BootloopBot » December 10th, 2017, 10:13 pm

To clean it thoroughly.
BootloopBot

Postby NeilF » December 11th, 2017, 5:55 am

BootloopBot wrote:To clean it thoroughly.

Yes, but cleaning it thoroughly is very very very unlikely to kick electronics back into life again...
NeilF
Robot Groupie

Postby Skyeclad » December 11th, 2017, 10:12 am

I think that taking it apart might be the only way to go other than buying a new vacuum. The return trip to China is just under $100. That doesn't seem worth it given that I've given Gearbest plenty of reason to deny my warranty if they feel like it. I've opened up the body to replace a broken wheel for a prior issue and I've opened it up to clean it out now. While they might honor it, I don't want to end up paying $100 and then being told to pay $100 to get it back(which I wouldn't).

Maybe opening up the unit will reveal something or maybe I'll just buy a new one. Debating whether the new unit is worth +$165.
Skyeclad

PreviousNext

Return to All Other Robots