Mi Robot vacuum

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Re: Mi Robot vacuum

Postby glnc222 » September 18th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Wall plugs are not a problem today. Charger bricks (PSU) work with all voltages and often have a standard connector for power cords with different wall plugs. Both cords and wall plug adapters for any country are available and inexpensive. There are several different types of wall plugs in use around the world.
This robot might use a three wire, grounded power brick because of the exposed charging plates, not clear. Neato used this. Most Laptops have a two wire brick.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby krimore » September 19th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Should receive mine this week. Will let you all know once I do.
krimore

Postby glnc222 » September 21st, 2016, 1:12 am

Pre-orders U.S, $320 Fasttech https://www.fasttech.com/products/1450/10026311/5738800
Might want to wait for stock in stores, with returns etc. In Xiaomi did Kublai Khan, a stately pleasure dome decree...complete with cleaning robots.
[edit] Later post mentions $48 shipping extra; compare to Gearbest. This is still individual package shipping from China, instead of bulk shipment to local dealers. Yet such dealers could need a further markup.
Last edited by glnc222 on October 9th, 2016, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby krimore » September 21st, 2016, 1:33 am

Dang. Overpaid by $50. I guess that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.
krimore

Postby davidelewis » September 22nd, 2016, 4:37 pm

I look forward to the review, as at US$320, that's a pretty decent price! I have been playing around with the Mi Home app (needed for the WiFi connection) and have discovered that if you choose Hong Kong as the locale in the app, you can get the English language interface.
Current
Neato Botvac Connected (2.2.0 firmware)
Scooba 5800 with PWR+ NiHM battery
Previous
Neato XV-14 (3.4 firmware) with Lithium Power (LiNMC) batteries
Neato XV-11 (3.1 firmware) with HQRP NiMH batteries
Roomba 580 with wireless remote
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby jesi » September 25th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Yah, also waiting for good review!

Just wondering, do they have plans for international version or this Chinese talking model only one..
Or can it be changed by end user via update.
jesi

Postby davidelewis » September 26th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Interesting watching AI adapt to FI (feline intelligence) ... ;-)

Current
Previous
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » September 26th, 2016, 9:58 pm

In the U.S. some original Botvacs (without the improved "D" brush bearing needed with pets) bundle 65 originally for Costco, are a little less than the $320 Xiaomi. They have front mounted wider intakes and I think larger batteries.
Which side brush is more cat resistant remains to be seen.
[edit] Correction -- confused battery with new Electrolux. Larger battery than Botvac 5200 vs Neato 3600mah.
Last edited by glnc222 on September 28th, 2016, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby davidelewis » September 27th, 2016, 1:26 pm

glnc222 wrote:They have front mounted wider intakes and I think larger batteries.

As far as I know, the Neato BotVac has a 3600 Ah NiMh battery while the Xiaomi Mi advertises a 5200 Ah Li-ion battery (44% more capacity).

Xiaomi claims their battery "yields up to 2.5 hours of cleaning on a single charge".
Current
Previous
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby davidelewis » September 27th, 2016, 1:39 pm

The Xiaomi Mi scores a 9/10 in this new review from Vacuums Guide:
http://www.vacuumsguide.com/xiaomi-mi-r ... m-cleaner/
Current
Previous
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » September 28th, 2016, 1:02 am

Thanks for correction on battery, confused it with the new Electrolux other thread. The 2.5hr run time is consistent with the larger battery size given how the Neato can run an hour to 90 minutes on 2ah charge usage (leaving unused margin against deep discharge). See battery sizes above. The extra capacity in the Mi would seem up to another hour run if the load is similar. That is likely with similar size brushes.

If the other brands cannot show significantly better performance than Xiaomi, I expect they will get a good share of the market expanding it with more buyers at the low end. Chinese products are not just a lot of unknown small brands. Lenovo bought the IBM PC business and has a big presence in the U.S., competing with Dell. This is written on one. When I call them, it's just across town. Some of the Taiwan companies are substantial.

Maybe this will push Neato to get a camera guidance design out.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 28th, 2016, 9:11 pm

In addition to that review linked, see his unusual market stats http://www.vacuumsguide.com/best-robot-vacuum/
Unusual reviews all the off-brand cheaper bots instead of the most established brands Neato, iRobot etc.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby davidelewis » September 28th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Yes, the reviewer covers a lot of the cheaper budget vacuums in his review roundup and I expect gets some clickback revenue from GearBest. He lists the typical vacuums brands that are discussed on this site as "premium" brands. According to his review of features and the price point, the Xiaomi Mi would be a premium robot vacuum.
Current
Previous
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby krimore » September 28th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Got a chance to finally watch the Xiaomi do a FULL run of my house. So first off my square footage is pretty big, around 3400sq ft., I have a Roomba 880 to compare it to. Connecting to the app was easy, the app was Chinese I had no idea what I did, just loaded it up and it automatically connected to the vacuum. There are 3 options in the app. Return home, clean and suction power. I just press clean and it starts up, very responsive. The mapping algorithm is very impressive, our house is open concept and we have most of the wires tucked away to run our other vacs so no worries about that. All I can say is that it was able to do the whole house without stopping. The route planning is actually intelligent compared to my Roomba 880, as soon as it starts up you can immediately see the room mapped on the app. Then the bot starts doing the edges, what I find especially smart is that it divides up your big rooms into small quadrants and does them in smaller portions. This mapping makes the XIaomi vac truly feel like a smart robot vacuum. One thing I find especially great is the fact that it doesn't get stuck on these bar stools that we have in our kitchen. Anyways, in about 45 minutes it was able to do my whole first floor, once done you can see the detailed mapping it made and it looks really precise. 10/10 for the mapping feature. Unlike my Roomba 880 it also had no issues finding the base, when it was done vacuuming it was at about 35% power and it only took the robot 30-60 seconds to find the base it looks like it remembers the exact path to take to get back and didn't just stumble around like the Roomba 880.

Overall its a great buy definitely better than a Roomba 880 or 980 at almost 3x the price. I've never been able to get my 880 to do a whoel floor of my house while the Xiaomi was able to with ease. Few things though, first off is the vacuum speaks Chinese, I'm not sure if you can change the language to English and the App is 90% Chinese, so figuring out how to schedule it to clean might be difficult but I did find taking a screenshot and using google translate helps quite a bit. Another thing is the noise level, this thing sounds like a jet engine, even at the lowest setting.

At the end of the day I would recommend you buy this if you are spending $300+ on a Roomba or Neato. I don't have a neato myself but I'm going to be putting my Roomba 880 on sale and grabbing another Xiaomi.
krimore

Postby davidelewis » September 28th, 2016, 11:35 pm

Wow! That's a glowing review! Too bad that the voice prompts and app menu are all in Chinese. Hopefully this will be updated soon. The fellow who reviewed the Xiaomi Mi (link above) translated the app menu...
http://i0.wp.com/www.vacuumsguide.com/w ... lation.jpg
[The image is too big to embed in this post]

A few questions...
[1] How does the actual cleaning compare with your Roomba? Have you tried running the Xiaomi Mi after your Roomba to see what additional dirt is picked up?
[2] Do you find many hairs remaining on the brush roller after a cleaning cycle?
[3] Have you tried the scheduling capabilities?
Last edited by davidelewis on September 29th, 2016, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current
Previous
Roomba Scheduler 4230
davidelewis
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » September 29th, 2016, 3:11 am

Good to see a positive review - I'll be keeping an eye on these.

However, a couple of things you said show that you are not well informed about the Roombas that you mention (in particular):
krimore wrote:... and it only took the robot 30-60 seconds to find the base it looks like it remembers the exact path to take to get back and didn't just stumble around like the Roomba 880.

The Mi Robot uses LIDAR to navigate (including back to the base) much like Neatos robots do. The Roomba 880 does not have any navigation equipment, and uses the fact that on it's random way, it will find the base (or the beam coming from it). So your comparison is not really an "observation" but more a statement of how they work.

krimore wrote:Overall its a great buy definitely better than a Roomba 880 or 980 ...

The 980 on the other hand DOES have navigation equipment and will go straight beck to the dock when required. You seem to lump them together in your "comparison"?

As mentioned above - it is one thing (granted - a good thing) to have good navigation and 'get everywhere', but how does the cleaning compare?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby krimore » September 29th, 2016, 3:42 am

Brett wrote:Good to see a positive review - I'll be keeping an eye on these.

However, a couple of things you said show that you are not well informed about the Roombas that you mention (in particular):
krimore wrote:... and it only took the robot 30-60 seconds to find the base it looks like it remembers the exact path to take to get back and didn't just stumble around like the Roomba 880.

The Mi Robot uses LIDAR to navigate (including back to the base) much like Neatos robots do. The Roomba 880 does not have any navigation equipment, and uses the fact that on it's random way, it will find the base (or the beam coming from it). So your comparison is not really an "observation" but more a statement of how they work.

krimore wrote:Overall its a great buy definitely better than a Roomba 880 or 980 ...

The 980 on the other hand DOES have navigation equipment and will go straight beck to the dock when required. You seem to lump them together in your "comparison"?

As mentioned above - it is one thing (granted - a good thing) to have good navigation and 'get everywhere', but how does the cleaning compare?

(-8

The suction on the Xiaomi is stronger than the room a 880. Ive only seen the 980 in video reviews so can't say for certain but the Xiaomi seems "smarter" in the way that it navigates and plans it's route. I know the 980 has some new features and uses a camera for mapping, but from the videos I've seen it still looks dumb. While the Xiaomi seems to always be plotting, also forgot to mention I couldn't get the real-time mapping to work all the time, it just works for a bit then stops and I'd have to restart the app again. But I really like how it shows the exact path it takes. Hands down it cleans better than my 880 and in less time too. My 880 was never able to clean a whole floor of my house properly because of the lack of mapping, seems like the suction on the Xiaomi is better too. Another thing the Xiaomi does is itwill not accidentally number the charger where my 880 often does, now I have no carpeting at all in my house all hardwood + marble so I don't know how it performs on carpets.

So from my observations from review videos of the Roomba 980, the xiaimi is definitely better. Can't say about the neato though, but for the price of the neato you can get 2 or maybe 3 Xiaomi. All my opinion of course. But I do own several Roomba, an older 400 series, a 650, 750, and now 880. The Xiaomi beats them all, it actually feels like it knows what it's doing.
krimore

Postby krimore » September 29th, 2016, 3:42 am

Also, I do know that the 880 has no mapping feature, but it's still a valid point to bring up cause I also have one of the iLife vacuum as well and the Roomba is better than that, but just going by price/value iRobot and Neato need to adjust their prices to stay in this game.
krimore

Postby glnc222 » September 30th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Software improvements?
The similar Neato laser robots have a peculiar limitation. When a room has two entrances and the layout goes around in a circle to re-enter the room from a different point, the software fails to recognize the previously cleaned room, and keeps going around the grand circle. It would be interesting whether Xiaomi has improved on this oddly dumb Neato software, for which explanations are hard to find, as there is no obvious logic problem. Users have had to put mag strip barriers across one of the entrances. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=139961#p139961
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby akeilox » October 2nd, 2016, 1:29 am

A good video showing the internals of the Mi Robot at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlZgIHOodM

There is hope for firmware upgrades or hacks as a well hidden micro USB port revealed. Although I dont know of Xiaomi's products well enough, like if they make firmware files available individually or hack/patch-friendly.

Does anyone know if the SONAR component makes a big difference? I did read somewhere the VR200 or so (German version) have SONAR but Im curious as how it can make a difference compared to Neato XV without a SONAR.
akeilox

PreviousNext

Return to All Other Robots