RC3000 base station not sucking!

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

RC3000 base station not sucking!

Postby rebel » July 2nd, 2017, 4:43 am

Hi

As the title says - the base station is not sucking out the dirt. The cleaner goes to station makes a low humming sound and then proceeds to charge. There was a thread about a base station not purging but as far as I know it was never resolved.

I have had these cleaners for over 12 years and would be so sad to lose it now :( .

Any of you experts out there have any ideas?

Many thanks

Marilyn
2 Roombas, 1 Scooba 5800, 2 Karcher RC3000, 2 Trilobite, 1 Dolphin Pool Cleaner, 2 Robomowers
rebel

Re: RC3000 base station not sucking!

Postby robocleaner » July 2nd, 2017, 3:25 pm

It was this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17634

We kinda did almost sort of resolve it, except the member managed to find a second-hand base station for just a few bucks and so never pursued the fix to its natural conclusion.

It all started with a blown/overheated resistor, whose colour coding wasn't very clear at all. Unfortunately, the member replaced the resistor with one of (what we later discovered) was clearly the wrong value, and fireworks ensued seemingly causing more damage.

What we did learn was that the part of the circuit that controls the vacuum motor is very simple and made from easily sourced parts/components (even Maplin/RS Components stock them). Any electronic repair shop should be able to firstly/easily test the mains-powered vacuum motor itself to check thats still working, and if it is, any repair to that motors control circuit should be simple to test and fix.

The big issue might be if the mains powered vacuum motor itself has packed up... if Karcher still have spare motors and if you would justify the (likely) quite high cost of the replacement given the age of this RC3000?
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby rebel » July 3rd, 2017, 12:05 am

Many thanks for replying. I will see if I can find an electronics repair shop locally to have a look.

As you say it is quite old now so it might not be worth repairing but it is certainly worth a try. It has worked flawlessly all these years and is probably the most cost effective vacuum I have had! I only changed the brush and batteries fairly recently.

Thanks again

Marilyn
2 Roombas, 1 Scooba 5800, 2 Karcher RC3000, 2 Trilobite, 1 Dolphin Pool Cleaner, 2 Robomowers
rebel

Postby jappish » August 13th, 2017, 6:48 am

I'm curious if you did try and repair your base station? I'm having the exact same problem with mine. I have replaced most of the components on the board except for the U2008B since it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Had to order it from china and still waiting for the item to be shipped!
jappish

Return to All Other Robots