Dyson, Roomba, Neato CFM comparison

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Dyson, Roomba, Neato CFM comparison

Postby EYE063NOSYD » August 28th, 2017, 6:07 pm

I was watching a comparison video from Youtube user (HowToLou), where he tested the Roomba 880 and Neato XV Signiture vacuums.
In his comparison he did a test to check CFM and although not 100% accurate, does give a good comparison.
I wanted to do a similar test and compare the Dyson 360 with those two models.

Here's a video of the test,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kudDMOZfnLM

I managed to calculate the 360 can put out 17.4cfm, another test lead me to calculate 18cfm, I thought this was an interesting take on the determining the flow of these machines.

Anyone else have other models to test or suggestions to testing feel free to share.
EYE063NOSYD

Re: Dyson, Roomba, Neato CFM comparison

Postby glnc222 » August 31st, 2017, 12:37 pm

I measured air flow in some Neato models with an anemometer and by proxy with with the fan motor current (thread "electronic filter monitoring" Neato forum). I compared it with the Samsung Powerbot, similar (Samsung Forum 9000 thread). The Botvac model appeared to have a stronger and more efficient fan than older XV models, around 35cfm. It depends on how much the filter is clogged.

But the air flow alone is an insufficient measure for cleaning, as the size of the intake and the air pressure can matter (you want the air flow per square inch of intake). A vacuum industry measure used is Air Watts, with a formula combining air pressure with the air flow -- which has been criticized by Dyson, for their full size vacs -- while touting it on their robot; it is supposed to be most relevant to in-the-wall central vac systems. Samsung shows what appears to be Air Watt measures for different models on the U.S. website. Also the low power, battery robots do not usually compare to killowatt electric power full size vacuums, and rely on the brush action for cleaning.

This raises questions whether these devices can clean embedded dirt in carpets, but long term testing of the Samsung by left-over extracted by a full size vacuum showed some effectiveness. Dyson and other new class robots may have higher suction, being their specialty. I showed the Powerbot cleaning hard floor with the brush removed.
Robots with narrow intakes depend on side brushes, which cannot clean carpets, making some suction measures further irrelevant.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to All Other Robots