Is Buying Xiaomi Roborock 2 From Overseas A Bad Idea?

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Is Buying Xiaomi Roborock 2 From Overseas A Bad Idea?

Postby moparjer » February 14th, 2018, 10:45 pm

On Ebay the Xiaomi Roborock S50 is priced $479-$499. Am I missing something or is it a bad idea to buy from China or Hong Kong if, for example, repairs or returns are needed?
moparjer

Re: Is Buying Xiaomi Roborock 2 From Overseas A Bad Idea?

Postby vic7767 » February 14th, 2018, 11:00 pm

The early purchasers of robotic vacuums always purchased at least two of the same model. That usually solved the spare parts and support issues.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Brian79 » February 15th, 2018, 6:05 am

moparjer wrote:On Ebay the Xiaomi Roborock S50 is priced $479-$499. Am I missing something or is it a bad idea to buy from China or Hong Kong if, for example, repairs or returns are needed?

Repairs and returns will be an issue as you will have to return it to China or Hong Kong if you ever need to do that. My view is the performance and price point is so good it is worth the small risk if I got a unit that needed to be returned for service.

I think buying two units incase you need one for parts is insane unless you need two units. Parts will become available as the unit becomes more popular.

I might wait for a sale and get it from gearbest DOT com or lightinthebox DOT com instead of getting it off of eBay.
Brian79

Postby glnc222 » February 15th, 2018, 1:13 pm

It depends on location and tolerance for risk. Shipping returns from the U.S. for such heavy items can be $70 -- and expensive even domestically for the weight. I gather Xiaomi has more distribution in Europe, maybe cheaper shipping. I see reports of some defective units supplied, on European forums. Some appliances have such a good reputation the best bargain can be sought, e.g. high end audio/video equipment, no-return dealers with factory warranties the only resort. Many robotic vacuums do not seem to be in that category.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » February 15th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Brian79 wrote:I think buying two units in case you need one for parts is insane unless you need two units. Parts will become available as the unit becomes more popular.
I've been purchasing vacuum robots for 20 years so my insanity is earned by experience. There will be some accessories made available for newly purchased robots but I don't consider those as parts for a broken robot. The only place to obtain parts to repair a robot is from another robot. You will notice this fact when looking for replacement parts on ebay or Amazon.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jch2473 » March 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

It took me a couple of months to receive a replacement battery for my xiaomi robot so keep that in mind. You can find replacement parts but it can take a long time to get them.
jch2473

Postby ivanilia » April 8th, 2018, 3:17 am

I ordered 2 xioami robovacuum cleaner. Gen1 and the roborock. The first I had to wait for 8 weeks. The second for 1 week. Both perform very good after intense 2 month period use. So far, very happy with the cleaning and performance. If the durability proves to be good enough (lasts at least 2 years) I think it the best buy at this moment price/performance wise. The cleaning algorithme is superior to any other vacuum cleaner. I've had 6 roomba's, 1 neato so I can tell the difference.
ivanilia

Return to All Other Robots