Eufy RoboVac 30

Questions and comments about all other Robots go here.

Eufy RoboVac 30

Postby Zzz » May 23rd, 2019, 11:50 am

I’ve been using this for about a week and I like it a lot. It goes more places than my previous Roomba e6 due to the lower profile (out of perversity, the clearance under my cabinets is the exact height of Roombas to ensure they get stuck). It’s also cheaper, quieter, runs longer (100 mins), uses magnetic strips for borders that give me more flexibility than virtual walls, docks more reliably and easily, and has a nicer top plate (glass vs plastic that gets dirty and scratched up very quickly).

Any other owners out there who want to share their experience, especially if you’ve been using it for a while? I’ve heard it might be less reliable in the long term than Roomba so that’s something to watch for.

Because it has a remote control that you can use to steer it, I’ve been running it without placing the dock in the same room (out of laziness) because even if it stops somewhere inaccessible, I can use the remote to move it. I wonder if there are any downsides to doing this.
Zzz

Re: Eufy RoboVac 30

Postby Brett » May 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

Remotes are IMHO a useless gimmick in all but one case: I have some customers in wheelchairs - when it is or has been raining, the chair wheels often bring in some dirt, and they can use the remote to clean up just that area straight away. In every other case it's a gimmick to play with - the whole idea of a robot is that it should be largely autonomous.

This unit is based on a plethora of cheapie Chinese units out there. In the past they used to lunch their wheels - particularly the left one for some reason. So reliability is a question mark for sure.

This one might be different, but in the past these units had 3 or 4 patterns of behaviour, and randomly cycled between them. Roomba machines (even the dumb bounce-bot ones that the navigating robot fan-bois like to bash) have some smarts - when stuck amongst the dining room chair legs they change behaviour to try get out. If they get stuck in a small room they stop after a while, rather then cleaning it for an hour...

Oh, and the spec says that is has a 2600mAh battery - that's at least 30% smaller than the smallest iRobot batteries. So if the energy available is 30% less, it's doing 30% less work. If, as you say it's doing it for longer then it is doing somewhat less work still!

Yes they are cheap. But mostly I've seen them at prices that, given the above concerns, are not cheap enough. And even if they were dirt cheap and you bought three and just threw them away when they failed, do you want to be contributing to the throw-away economy and the landfill monster down the road?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to All Other Robots