Neato XV-12 -"please check my filter and dirt bin"

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato XV-12 -"please check my filter and dirt bin"

Postby yiyaha » March 9th, 2012, 2:11 pm

hi, everyone, have you encounter this kind of problem? My brand new Neato XV-12 has this very weird problem. After fully charging, I press the start button, the Neato will generate some loud noise for a while but doesn't move a step, then suddenly stopped, the LCD showes "please check my filter and dirt bin". That's absurd, since this neato is brand new, the dirt bin and filter are all clean and empty. I have contacted the customer care staff, but their solutions can not solve the problem. I tried to update the firmware to 2.6, but failed. If anyone had encountered the same problem, could you please tell me how you solved the problem without sending it back for replacing? thanks.
yiyaha

Re: Neato XV-12 -"please check my filter and dirt bin"

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Try blocking half of the filter area with some tissue paper or paper towel to block some of the airflow then test and see if your Neato will run.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Blind Guy » March 9th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Also, you may want to check the Dirt Bin to be certain it is properly seated.

There is a Safety Switch that prevents the Neato from operating correctly, the Dirt Bin presses down on it when it is snapped down in place.

Lift up on the Dirt Bin, as if you were removing it, then snap it back down firmly.

David (aka Blind Guy)
Blind Guy
Robot Addict

Postby yiyaha » March 9th, 2012, 4:01 pm

wow, vic7767, your method solve the problem, and the neato can run normally now! However, if I remove the tissue paper out of the dirt bin, the same problem happens again after the neato moves a few steps. What's the reason for this problem, are there any other solutions to completely solve it? Will updating to firmware 2.6 solve the problem? If half of the dirt bin has to be blocked by the tissue paper, I have to empty it more often than other people:( But many thanks for your help making the neato run at last.
yiyaha

Postby yiyaha » March 9th, 2012, 4:18 pm

I've solved the problem by using a slice of tape sticking to the filter instead of inserting tissue paper in the dirt bin. The neato is running happily now. Vic7767, you are such a master of robotics, Neato customer care dept. should hire you as their team leader:) None of them could tell me this solution:( Actually, I've asked for a replacement. Now I have to contact them to send the replacing Neato back:) How much trouble and money could be saved if they have Vic7767 as their leader:)
yiyaha

Postby aubie » March 9th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Updating to 2.6 may solve it.
The Neato rep that post here said, that you would need the latest firmware to use the new high flow filters Neato is coming out with this summer.
Another thought would be to swap filters and see if that solves your problem.
aubie
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Sine the high flow filters aren't out yet you might consider adding a HEPA filter to the stock filter you already have. That should add jut enough air resistance to slow the vacuum rpm and satisfy the monitor program.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby aubie » March 10th, 2012, 8:11 am

vic7767 wrote:Sine the high flow filters aren't out yet you might consider adding a HEPA filter to the stock filter you already have. That should add jut enough air resistance to slow the vacuum rpm and satisfy the monitor program.

High flow filters from Neato will be available at the end of April.
You will need to upgrade to 2.6
aubie
Robot Groupie

Postby Lupa13 » July 5th, 2014, 3:24 pm

SOLVED definitely !

None of the solutions here had worked for me, so I thought the switch was the problem and decided to dig further...Here is how I solved it:

You will have to open your Neato to have access to the Dirt Bin switch (Google to know how to open.. :roll: )

Take out the black rubber that is the switch that makes the connection of the Dirt Bin, and clean the metallic connection beneath it with a white eraser (uploading photos to show what I mean..).

This make it function like new again !! :dance:

Good luck!
Attachments
white eraser.jpg
"tool" to use to clean the contact
white eraser.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
DirtBinSwitch.jpg
Connector to clean
DirtBinSwitch.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
dirtBin.jpg
The black switch
dirtBin.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
Lupa13

Postby Wing Nut » July 6th, 2014, 2:01 am

I sure appreciate the helpful and well illustrated post, but I can't help but notice your Neato looks like it could do with a good vacuum itself! :shock:

I suspect the dust and grit that seems to be everywhere is what made its way into the hopper detection switch in the first place and caused the failure. While you've corrected the problem for the moment, I suspect it might come back without a more regular clean inside and out.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Postby Lupa13 » July 6th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Yes, its true !! The photo was before I cleaned it all...

As you´ve said, part of keeping it running smoothly must be the cleanning INSIDE it !!! ;-)
Lupa13

Postby glnc222 » July 6th, 2014, 9:43 pm

It can also be cleaned with alcohol. The rubber eraser pens are often for corrosion. There's gold in them thar' switch contacts. Of course, opening the Neato to clean it voids the warranty...
BotVacs don't have that problem -- just a different bunch.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 308Tom » September 13th, 2015, 1:18 pm

After much frustration, and marginal success with putting a spacer between the dustbin and the rubber covered switch, I found a solution that works for me. It keeps the dustbin seated and avoids the "Please replace my dustbin" message.

The small lugs that are supposed to "latch" the dustbin in place are either worn or never were well formed. My solution was to take a small file and make a more prominent "lug" on the latching area.

My photography is poor, but perhaps you can see in the larger photo the location of the lugs. In the more detailed photo, lined area is what I filed or shaved away.

Now when I put the dustbin in, it clearly “snaps” or latches into place and the days of frequent fiddling with the dustbin to get Neato to run are gone.
Attachments
Dustbin Lug.jpg
Dustbin.jpg
308Tom

Return to Neato Robotics