Homemade keep off mats for Neato

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Homemade keep off mats for Neato

Postby viper001 » March 18th, 2014, 4:00 pm

I've had limited success with the rolled strips that came with my XV-11 as far as building a little square barrier around the pet dishes in my laundry room. I would like to get just a regular mat to replace these strips instead. My question is, I have seen black magnetic mats for the Roomba for this purpose, but will these work for the Neatos? Basically, what is preventing the Neato from encroaching on an area, does it just need to be black, or magnetic, or both?

TIA
viper001
Robot Groupie

Re: Homemade keep off mats for Neato

Postby vic7767 » March 18th, 2014, 6:13 pm

The Roomba mats are not magnetic but they are black for a reason. The Roomba cliff sensors are triggered by the black mat.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 18th, 2014, 10:09 pm

The mag strips can be glued to place mats or thin plastic cutting board sheets, cut to size. Try double stick tape for temporary installations, or just scotch tape over them. The entire sheeet can then be picked up along with the strips, and they are held in place.

Amazon etc. reviews of the Keep Off Strips and Mats for Roomba are mixed. They did not always work for Roomba, much less Neato. I tried a number of black materials which did not work. Neato may have more powerful illumination of the surface than Roomba, so what works with Roomba may not work with Neato.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » March 18th, 2014, 11:01 pm

viper001 wrote:Basically, what is preventing the Neato from encroaching on an area, does it just need to be black, or magnetic, or both?

I have a fourth option... create something high enough to trigger the bumper sensor.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 18th, 2014, 11:23 pm

what is preventing the Neato from encroaching on an area, does it just need to be black, or magnetic, or both?

It is magnetic, period. Color does not matter -- paint to suit, or cover with duck tape. There are two types of sensor, one for magnetic strips, and another optical sensor for cliffs, which do not produce a reflection. The black materials sold for Roombas try to fool these cliff sensors, simulating a long distance to the floor reflection.
Even if that works on Roomba it probably will not work on Neato's sensors.

Roomba does not have the magnetic sensors on the Neato. The magnetic strips are specially magnetized for the electronic field detectors, different from ordinary stick-on magnetic sheets and strips (the poles are on opposite faces of the Neato strip).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby viper001 » March 19th, 2014, 8:02 am

Some great suggestions guys, thanks for the ideas. We have already tried putting the bowls inside of a basket but the Neato tended to scoot the whole thing around because it wasn't very heavy and sitting on a slick floor. I think I will try the strips attached to another mat, that seems like a workable plan. :D
viper001
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » March 19th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Secure thin items to hard floors with removable masking tape, won't damage it.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby yyzdnl » March 20th, 2014, 3:24 pm

You can cut the magnetic strip length wise to get twice the length and then hot glue it to the outside edge of a plastic placemat. This works well for us. I have tried the cut strip under heavy rugs and it didn’t perform as well as the full strip but it is fine if not covered by too heavy a material.
yyzdnl

Postby ventureforth » December 16th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Can any magnetic strip (like the magnetic rolls from a craft shop) do the trick?
ventureforth
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » December 16th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Can any magnetic strip (like the magnetic rolls from a craft shop) do the trick?

No. Regular stick-on magnetic sheet material is not magnetized in the same direction as the Neato mag strips. You will see the regular material described as "multi-pole" while Neato strips are magnetized with the same pole all along the surface, opposite poles on the top and bottom of the strip. This is for detection by the standard Hall Effect electronic field sensing component. One user had access to the factory making magnetic material and had material processed by their machines, which apparently can be set different ways. Most customers will not be able to do that.

As for the optical based cliff-imitating material, the product for Roomba has mixed reviews, and no household black material I have tried works. Even special paint such as Krylon Ultra-Flat Camouflage reflects too much Infrared light at such close proximity to the emitter. Possibly the expensive stealth anti-IR coatings available would work, $80 a can on Amazon.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby eeweew » December 17th, 2014, 8:16 am

eeweew

Postby mfortuna » December 17th, 2014, 8:19 am

I have small area rugs that have a black border that is not very pronounced. My 400 series avoid it like the plague. The Neato doesn't care one bit. My one and only attempt to run the Neato upstairs ended with it falling down the entire flight of stairs. The debris bin popped out but there was no damage. I assume it glided down the stairs.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 17th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Will a bunch of these: http://www.supermagnete.nl/eng/block-ma ... 5-1.5-01-N

neodymium coin magnets. Maybe if stuck in a row onto tape, same pole up (repelling each other...). 25-50 per foot is not cheap. Needs the right pole on top.

[edit] I misunderstood the shape of those blocks. Says 5 x 1.5 x 1 mm but shows a cube. don't know what that is.
The coin shapes are on ebay (from China, where neodymium is mined). Very powerful.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Loshki » December 17th, 2014, 7:57 pm

This is one of my sillier posts...
As you can see, I use an old wooden tray. Between its weight, and the fact that it's in a corner, it's so far
turned out to be Roomba, Neato and Scooba proof, and cat approved. It lifts up for
easy cleaning and doesn't shift, but if it did, I'd probably just velcro it to the baseboard.

My main problem is rug edges, where they either curl up, or the fringes cause a problem.
I've used masking tape on the fringes with reasonable success.

For the rug edges, which are on hardwood, where I didn't want to risk double sided tape, I
bought a Sanford Design Kneaded Eraser, which I'm told can be used like blu-tac to hold down
carpet on hardwood flooring, without leaving indelible marks. I haven't tried it yet. Awaiting
that shipload of round tuits.
Attachments
kenny2.jpg
Loshki

Postby OMG-LOVE-MY-NEATO » December 29th, 2014, 1:05 pm

New Age Pet Habitat 'n Home HiLo Diner Raised Dog Bowl, Medium, Russet
http://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Age-Pet-H ... r/33723103

I found this works well for me! They have rubber on the bottom so they do not move!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Platinum-Pets ... d/15723222
OMG-LOVE-MY-NEATO

Postby glnc222 » July 5th, 2015, 6:42 pm

If a suitable serving tray is not available, perhaps consider an office letter tray ("in/out box").
Search "pet bowl" for other threads on this problem.

I think it is best to use bumper contact instead of the mag strips, however. The strips are not always reliable and in some configurations Neato can back up across them; the sensors are in the front. Spilling water presents a damage hazard to the Neato instead of merely interfering with cleaning -- not "fail safe".
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Wing Nut » July 6th, 2015, 12:07 am

eeweew wrote:Will a bunch of these: http://www.supermagnete.nl/eng/block-ma ... 5-1.5-01-N

Work then?

Experimental in this form, but this was really the only thing that worked for me -

Previous attempts at using the same cheap but very powerful 8mm diameter button magnets laid across the floor and held down by tape were only partially successful even when placed almost against each other - and it wasn't easy herding them into line either! :doh:

Only after adding a strip of ferrous metal (the pruning saw blade) did my XV-11 take ~100% notice of the magnetic barrier. I guess it augments the magnetic field, filling in any gaps. And even then, as ginc222 suggests, Neatos can sometimes reverse across a Neato-supplied strip, so nothing magnetic is foolproof. Some sort of raised border (or a closed door) is best for marking off water bowls and wet areas.

I never did get around to using something similar under carpet, which was the reason for this trial - I just got more Neato strip instead.
#1 Neato XV-11 SW 2.0 Board Rev 113 / 3500mAh battery pack installed May 2013 / Pet & Allergy pack installed Sept 2013. In July 2014, received and repaired a faulty #2 Neato XV-11, running Lithium Power 4400mAh battery since July 2015
Wing Nut
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics