Neato XV Signature got stuck in charging mode...

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato XV Signature got stuck in charging mode...

Postby bab80 » October 11th, 2014, 9:53 pm

I had some time tonight to hook up my ohms meter to take a gander at D14. to my surprise it is throwing a number when I check both sides. I decided to check D15 also and D15 is fine too I think...
I have 3 different charging bases I have at home 2 xv21 and 1 xv11, I tried them all with unit to see if it would stop saying that it still charging no luck. Now what should I try guys :cry: d14 = 177.0 or 192.8 d15 = 6.22 or nothing
bab80

Postby Gordon » October 11th, 2014, 10:42 pm

bab80 wrote:... I decided to check D15 also and D15 is fine too I think...
I have 3 different charging bases... I tried them all with unit to see if it would stop saying that it still charging no luck. Now what should I try guys :cry: d14 = 177.0 or 192.8 d15 = 6.22 or nothing
Your test reporting leaves a lot to be desired!
If your meter was set to its Diode Check function and you measured D14 to first read "177.0", and then you exchanged probes touching D14's terminals and read "192.8", then D14 is not acting like a diode!

Prove that D14 is faulty by de-soldering one end (either end) and slightly lift D14's body to move its loose pin away from the PCB pad (to isolate D14 from the circuit); and then, repeat your stuck in charging trial.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby bab80 » October 12th, 2014, 12:07 am

with D 14 remove from the board no longer receive charging error. but of course I don't think I can put this unit on the charger without d14 being installed At this point in time all my screen says is low battery so I guess the only way I'm going to know for sure if d14 is the cause of this issue is to buy a new chip :pray:
bab80

Postby Gordon » October 12th, 2014, 12:14 am

bab80 wrote:with D 14 remove from the board no longer receive charging error.
Excellent, and Q.E.D.
but of course I don't think I can put this unit on the charger without d14 being installed
Of course you can't!
At this point in time all my screen says is low battery so I guess the only way I'm going to know for sure if d14 is the cause of this issue is to buy a new chip :pray:
Put D14 back on the PCB and charge your battery.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby bab80 » October 12th, 2014, 12:15 am

will do ...
bab80

Postby bab80 » October 12th, 2014, 12:41 am

Gordon wrote:Put D14 back on the PCB and charge your battery.
okay, I'm a little confused if I try to charge the batteries I'm still going to have to terminate power in order to desolder d14 since I can't do a soft power off. I have to flip the switch which would then reset the computer from acknowledging that there is a charge to the battery I tested this by using batteries from a different neato that were completely fully charged. Unless I'm not thinking straight. At this point in time I'm just going to order the part from CN I'll let you know the result about 12 days.
bab80

Postby Gordon » October 12th, 2014, 12:56 am

bab80 wrote:
Gordon wrote:Put D14 back on the PCB and charge your battery.
okay, I'm a little confused if I try to charge the batteries I'm still going to have to terminate power in order to desolder d14 since I can't do a soft power off. I have to flip the switch which would then reset the computer from acknowledging that there is a charge to the battery I tested this by using batteries from a different neato that were completely fully charged. Unless I'm not thinking straight. At this point in time I'm just going to order the part from CN I'll let you know the result about 12 days.
Take care that your batteries don't self discharge too low over that period of time.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » October 12th, 2014, 1:23 am

I have to flip the switch which would then reset the computer from acknowledging that there is a charge to the battery I tested this by using batteries from a different neato that were completely fully charged.

After connecting the battery, the unit always requires a charging. But if necessary, you can set the desired battery level using the command SetFuelGauge. If you set 100%, the indicator will light solid green. You may even be able to run the unit for cleaning.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » October 12th, 2014, 10:16 am

Lewiy wrote:You may even be able to run the unit for cleaning.
Nice discovery, has anyone actually performed this battery setting and been able to execute a cleaning run ?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » October 12th, 2014, 12:53 pm

has anyone actually performed this battery setting and been able to execute a cleaning run ?

This trick can be done even without disconnecting the battery.
When the batteries have been fully charged, I sent 'SetFuelGauge Percent 49' (you can write a smaller number). After disconnecting the USB-cable, I could not run the unit for cleaning - it has sent a message that the battery is low. 'GetCharger' useful for the control. Then I sent 'SetFuelGauge Percent 89' (there may be any number between 50 and 100). Now after clicking on the Start button, the robot begins to clean up as it usually does. Of course, if the battery was actually empty deception will soon be revealed. The cleaning mission will be interrupted in a few minutes.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby bab80 » October 22nd, 2014, 7:37 pm

:dance: Success!!!! :dance: just got the parts today from China 10 pack . Replaced the chip and turned it on to a green light but low battery, used terminal to set fuel gauge to 90. the unit stayed green no problems whatsoever, put it on the charger and charged it for about 5 minutes after switching the power off and back on. acting exactly like it should. Ran a clean cycle no problems whatsoever was able to pick up unit put down move to another location pull the dirt bin no error with charging whatever. So, I can confirm replacing that chip D14 part# MBRS540T3G will fix this issue at least for my unit. Now I just have some problems with the laser not being able to see correctly probably didn't screw something in right. but otherwise thanks a bunch for everyone's input/help :cheers: :thanks:

I'm going to test this over the next couple days. if I run into any problems with the chip burning out or or anything to do with this issue I will report in but I think I'm in the clear. :pray: Thanks again :D
bab80

Postby Gordon » October 22nd, 2014, 8:19 pm

bab80 wrote::dance: Success!!!! :dance: ...
Congratulations, bab80!

If you wish to check on that diode's leakage, over time, just do a GetCharger fetch (no contact to a live Base), and take note of VExtV's value. Whatever reading you first obtain should be stable from check to check, over time. If you see VExtV, sans Base connection, increasing, then "stuck in charging" might again be in your Neato's future.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby Ritchie34 » December 13th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Hello,
the last days i had also a charging Problem with my XV Signature. It came always to the Error 8006.
With Tera Term i made a small script to view online the getcharger results.
So i could see, that my power supply has a Problem. Its green light was flashing and it only supplied with flashing mAMPh and Volt, so after 3 hours on Docking my robo had about 50%.
Now i have tried an older Fujitsu power supply with 19V and 5A, it works fine right now, but i want to have an overview with an Export of the getchargerdata to Excel.
Can anybody help me with my script for a csv like Date some Posts before?
For my online view with tera term i use this macro:
while 1
clearscreen 0
sendln 'getcharger'
pause 3
endwhile

Thanks
Ritchie34

Postby glnc222 » December 13th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Lewiy showed above a script for RealTerm (another open source telnet program like Tera Term):
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=126772#p126772

I am curious how the output from Neato commands is processed in Excel. A recording file of text from Neato via the script is in the form of repeated multi-line sections, each section showing a column of figures. Each line is for a different variable, such as:
A,xx
B,yy
C,zz
A,xx
B,yy
C, zz

This file in the spreadsheet is not in the form of a single line for "A" with all the numbers across, e.g.
A,xx,xx
B,yy,yy
C,zz,zz

The spreadsheet will take these csv files and put each element in a cell of the table.
How is the sheet rearranged in rows or columns of data for each variable? Is there such a transform inside excel?
I use open source LIbreOffice Calc (analogous to Mozilla) instead of excel, having little use for these programs.

[edit] As mentioned in a later post, this application employs the Pivot Table feature of eXcel and also in LibreOffice Calc, help topic https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Pivot_Table. Many online tutorials.
The pivot table (formerly known as DataPilot) allows you to combine, compare, and analyze large amounts of data. You can view different summaries of the source data, you can display the details of areas of interest, and you can create reports.

A table that has been created as a pivot table is an interactive table. Data can be arranged, rearranged or summarized according to different points of view.
Last edited by glnc222 on December 15th, 2014, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 13th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Can anybody help me with my script for a csv like Date some Posts before?

I just notice TeraTerm has an elaborate scripting language TTL "TeraTerm Language" with commands such as GetDate and GetTime generating strings to include in output. In the Macro manual. http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/manual/en/macro/command/index.html
You need help using this facility? You already wrote a macro...but not a programmer? I will have to look at it. Maybe RealTerm is easier?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » December 14th, 2014, 5:02 am

glnc222 wrote:...
How is the sheet rearranged in rows or columns of data for each variable...

I run Excel and do import data from a file that was recorded by Realterm. Filter may be applied to the column in the table to select values of one parameter (for example, current or charge level). Then I copy the selected column values ​​and insert to a new sheet. By columns, grouped on a new sheet, you can create a chart. I recorded the sequence of my actions in the Excel macro, the macro runs now by clicking the mouse. Unfortunately I can not explain better - my English is not as good as yours.
Last edited by Lewiy on December 15th, 2014, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby Ritchie34 » December 14th, 2014, 10:57 am

Yesterday i wrote my first TTL-Macro to get the data from Tera Term in a csv. It's not perfect but it works.
Then today i made a full Charge of my robo beginning with 15% and stopped with about 93%.
With my Export of Tera Term i imported it into an Excelsheet and tried with the Pivot-Table function, it worked.
See attachements.
Attachments
Robo.zip
Macro for use with TeraTerm and Excelsheet
(358.14 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Ritchie34

Postby Lewiy » December 15th, 2014, 5:15 am

Ritchie34 wrote:Then today i made a full Charge of my robo beginning with 15% and stopped with about 93%.

On your diagram the initial charge current is about 4A (gradually reduced to 2A). This is more than 1C. Do you think this is normal? Perhaps they use a different charging algorithm in Signature? It should be faster than in XV-series. And what about Botvac?
Attachments
Robo.jpg
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby Ritchie34 » December 15th, 2014, 1:08 pm

My original power supply brick with 24V/2A has a flashing green light and loads my empty batteries to 50% in 3 hours. Then i got the error 8006, charging takes to long. With getcharger i saw on my original ac/dc brick, that it has a Problem to supply constantly, it flashes with its Voltage (like its green light) from 24V to 10V during load and pushes 4000mAh for a very short period and than takes about 3 seconds to get to his 24V and then it pushes the next pulsing load. This method takes to long.
So i temporarly use now an older Fujitsu Laptop ac/dc brick with 19V an 5A. It works like on my diagram. 8)
Ritchie34

Postby one4spl » December 31st, 2014, 12:45 am

2014-12-30.jpg

I've substituted D14 (MBRS540T3G) with a TO-220 package MBR735, as shown.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1029

I picked one up locally in Australia from Jaycar Electronics. I've mounted it with a bit of double-sided foam tape.

I've only just completed the job but its done a charge and run cycle without issues so far. Thanks for all the info peeps :cheers:
one4spl

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics