My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby vic7767 » November 30th, 2014, 12:25 am

The plastic pulley is press fitted on the Lidar motor shaft. A small flat blade screwdriver can be inserted between the motor shaft and the pulley and can be pressed off.

Presented below is a photo of the screwdriver I use to remove the pulley from a Lidar motor. It is from a precision driver set and is the largest one in the set. Depending upon how far down the shaft the pulley was installed will determine which of the flat blades you may want to insert under the pulley and twist to raise the pulley up away from the bottom of the motor.
Attachments
idar pulley 001.JPG
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Freezer » December 18th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I'VE GOT IT!!! Yes, I purchased the JameCo PN: 2173044 and it works GREAT!!! But...MAKE SURE THE POLARITY IS CORRECT!! This may apply for the "Error 0005" and a error about a "Battery" issue.

As for removing the pulley (glnc222), it's a tight fit but slowly pried it from side to side until it came off.

"phylsmith2004" hit the nail in the head with the Sept 24 pictures. Exactly what I saw.

"vic7767" Also mention another VERY important issue on NOV 4th--> "I've wired the JameCo PN: 2173044 motor to several Lidar units and they work just fine. The only issue is that you have to remove and solder the original connector from the old defective motor and make sure that the black lead is wired to the ( + ) marking on the replacement motor."

~There is hope and I hope this helps~ :clap:
Freezer

Postby joeschmo » January 1st, 2015, 3:03 pm

Congrats Freezer on fixing your unit!

One of my Neatos went blind about a month ago and I knew the Lidar motor was the culprit because the turret was no longer spinning. I ordered this motor posted in a previous post:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221209189111?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It took a little over 3 weeks to arrive from Shanghai and I can confirm that this motor will work because my Neato can see again and is currently running a mission with no issues....yet.

I too made the mistake of soldering the red wire to the (+) which caused Neato to get confused. So...after 3 teardowns and a new motor my unit is up and running perfectly again.

Thanks for all the info in this thread that helped me fix the problem. :)
joeschmo

Postby drfish » February 11th, 2015, 2:05 pm

So both my XV-21s started having this error around the same time, at first it was only a couple times a week but eventually they both quit on me at the same time. I took one apart yesterday suspecting dog hair to be the problem and so far at least that seems to be the case (though I'm going to buy two of those motors if they act up again).

Behold:

I used the tips of some zip-ties to hold open the clips keeping the bearing in place. I could tell right away that things weren't spinning as nicely as they should. After I got it apart this far and dusted off the outside crap I put the chuck of my drill in the bearing pressed firmly and ran it all out for a few minutes forward and reverse, then repeated a couple times. It spins like a dream now, very smooth, put it all back together and so far so good. Will try the "fix" on Neato #2 in a couple days if things keep working on #1.
drfish

XV-21 - my vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby emferrari » February 28th, 2015, 12:46 pm

I have tried all the troubleshooting from NEATO and I am trying to check if the LIDAR is indeed working.

What are the commands I should run thru hyperterminal to make it rotate so I can test if it is not a faulty motor.
emferrari

Re: XV-21 - my vision was blocked. Please press OKAY (3000)

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2015, 1:47 pm

glnc222
Robot Master

Postby emferrari » February 28th, 2015, 1:53 pm

PERFECT! When I click to enable the brush motor and disconnect I get the vision blocked error. Does that means it is faulty?
emferrari

Postby vic7767 » February 28th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Does the Lidar turret spin ?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Note you can reconnect after initially disconnecting USB as demanded by the software so the bot is not restrained by a cable. You can even carry a notebook around with a tether. Adding WiFi under study other threads. See mods & repairs list top of main page. [edit] Botvac dropped this disconnect requirement.
Last edited by glnc222 on February 28th, 2015, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2015, 2:12 pm

The brush motor puts a load on the system possibly revealing some borderline power supply, voltage regulation issue on the system board, cpu disruption. Hard to diagnose. Typically handled by swapping new expensive parts.
[edit] More severe failure has been fixed replacing power supply capacitor C10 on the system board. See thread list.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Wonder if the brush motor load disrupts power to the lidar spin motor causing lidar errors. Fancy equipment needed to trace exactly, easier to swap system boards.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby emferrari » February 28th, 2015, 2:31 pm

vic7767 wrote:Does the Lidar turret spin ?

It did not, immediately after I pressed that button I got the vision blocked error on the display.
emferrari

Postby glnc222 » February 28th, 2015, 2:48 pm

There are some more elaborate tests possible with the Neato Control Program. I think there is a usb command which reports the lidar spin rate (usb manual in the mods&repair list main page). There is a data logging feature in the program to repeat commands.
An interesting check is that the vacuum fan takes more power than the brush motor. Instead of the brush turn on the fan (SETMOTOR VACUUMON, SETMOTOR VACUUM OFF ; requires TESTMODE, which must be turned off manually, why you disconnect before exiting Neato Control to turn off). MIght be some way in Neato Control to do this fan test, haven't checked.

For more elaborate engineering there is a cheap data logging device for PC's, ICP12 usbstick.

[edit] Regular startup turns on the fan first, then the brush at the end. So the brush load is creating the maximum drain and could be the proverbial straw that breaks. All can be simulated with USB commands.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby emferrari » February 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Attaching a list of the sensors that shows on my screen when connected with the NEATO.
Attachments
sensors_neato.png
emferrari

Postby glnc222 » March 1st, 2015, 12:51 am

I do not know what motors were running when this snapshot was taken, and do not have an XV at the moment for exact comparison. However, the current of 464ma shown is higher than I recall for the quiescent machine, no more than 200ma and closer to 100ma for just the processor. The unit cleans around 2.5amps so this load will drain the battery fairly quickly without running. The battery voltage looks ok, maybe a tad low because under that load, if it was freshly charged. The machine has been kept in a cool place to show 57 degrees fahrenheit (14C) on the battery temperature. I've never run it in rooms below 68 degrees, but doubt it is too cold but a little unusual. (We have had power outages in winter storm in this region last few days.)

I would be concerned some sort of short is loading the battery with that current shown. Presumably the unit is off the dock?
Perhaps that load is from the lidar spinning to show the graphic scan? Lot of unknowns.

Someone else would have to explain the item "VoltageReferenceInmillivolts", never seen before -- if anyone even knows, as the machine design is not published.
When using the Neato Control Program it is also a good idea to peruse the USB text commands manual. The graphics program is expecially useful for showing the lidar graphic display, and allowing quick examination of how sensor inputs change with conditions, pressing the switches etc.
The text commands are used connecting a terminal emulator program such as hyperterminal, putty, realterm,teraterm etc. (with the Neato Control Program disconnected). The manual assumes familiarity with electronics and computer controlled device construction, technical terms. It does not identify error codes and such details documented, from the proprietary software.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » March 1st, 2015, 7:10 am

glnc222 wrote:Someone else would have to explain the item "VoltageReferenceInmillivolts", never seen before -- if anyone even knows, as the machine design is not published.

About Voltage reference -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_reference. VoltageReferenceInmillivolts is ultrastable in Neato - fluctuations are in range 1224-1225 mV anytime.
glnc222 wrote: Wonder if the brush motor load disrupts power to the lidar spin motor causing lidar errors.

A simple way to find out is to send GetLifeStatLog via USB. Then it will be possible to figure out if there was a dramatic voltage drop on the battery, which caused the issue.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 1st, 2015, 1:18 pm

Neato Control Program may execute TESTMODE ON since it advises to insure it is turned off by disconnecting before closing the program. This activates the power line for motors which do not turn except under separate rpm control signals. There might be some additional load involved compared to executing GETAnaLogSensors in hyperterminal without turning TestMode on. I never made note of any such difference, so unknown. Still seems high at least intuitively. Test mode is required to perform the motor running commands over USB.

Voltage references are generally used to calibrate voltage measuring components and would be expected to be stable. Perhaps the item is measured and reported to detect failure in some components. If adjustable it is the kind of thing which fine tunes the software for particular hardware and should not be modified. Similar to the color rendering settings on TV's accessed only in a hidden service mode.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby drfish » March 6th, 2015, 12:24 pm

So the "fix" I applied in my post above didn't work for very long. I think there was just too much dog hair in the bearing and after a few days Neato started up with error 3000 again. Since the fix worked for a little while I figured the problem wasn't the motor or the electronics so I focused on finding a bearing replacement, ideally a sealed bearing like Vic likes so much for his mods. I was able to read "6807Z" from the existing bearing and after some Googling I found a perfect drop in replacement that was sealed on both sides, the "6807-2RS" which I was actually able to order right from Amazon Prime (other places had it cheaper but I wanted it fast and with an easy avenue for returning if it didn't work).

The new bearing rotates more stiffly than the old one but it doesn't grind like the old one either. Neato seems ok with it after a few nights of running his normal 3AM shift. If I get another couple trouble free nights out if him I'll open up Neato #2 and replace his Lidar bearing as well. :)
drfish

Postby maggoty » March 7th, 2015, 5:20 am

Hi,
I'd like to say that I have also done this motor replacement just today on my neato xv-21. I bought the following motor from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390999395981?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I had to cut the shaft down with a file. Apart from that it is working just a treat.

IMG_0091[1].JPG
Looking at the motor, the black wire was going to a small circle indent on one side. My replacement motor had the same layout, so I copied it exactly.

I tested the old motor with a AA battery and some paper clips. It wasn't doing anything, where as the new motor started to spin. I knew this would fix the problem at that point.

After putting it all back together it worked the first time. Going strong for now. :D

Only issue now is the faulty LCD screen which is illuminated, but has no writing on it anymore. Thankfully it's still functioning with this fault. I just can't read the screen.

Thanks for your help everyone. This has saved me many many dollars.
maggoty

Postby drfish » March 16th, 2015, 7:29 am

Just wanted to report that I replaced the bearing on my second Neato and it is back to working 100% again.
drfish

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics