Neato starts and alerts on battery

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato starts and alerts on battery

Postby talomer40 » April 16th, 2015, 4:00 am

Hi,

I have the Neato pet - he was connected all day, i pressed for him to start working, he starts and after 10 sec he suddenly says the battery is empty and goes back to station, i recently replaced the battery with new one - what am i missing, what is going with my Neato.
talomer40

Re: Neato starts and alerts on battery

Postby glnc222 » April 16th, 2015, 4:27 am

Did the new battery always work this way, when first installed?
What happens when the old battery is installed?
Which model is "pet", which XV number?
How old is the machine? How long and how often has it been run? Is it under warranty?
Do you have USB connection to the unit to a PC to run tests on the battery and analyze the charger?
Have any error messages appeared on the LCD?
Which brand of new battery was installed?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 17th, 2015, 6:14 am

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer -

Did the new battery always work this way, when first installed?
- it was working good until lately
What happens when the old battery is installed?
- I put the old batterlir and it was in a loop saying - "please press OKAY to restart battery issue" - it didnt help i kept pressing and it came back
Which model is "pet", which XV number?
- XV-25
How old is the machine? How long and how often has it been run? Is it under warranty?
- about 3 years, running good, about 2-3 times a week, not under warrenty any more
Do you have USB connection to the unit to a PC to run tests on the battery and analyze the charger?
- i can do that, how do i run tests on the battery only - what command is that i will do it now
Have any error messages appeared on the LCD?
Which brand of new battery was installed?

i just updated the Neato to 3.4 - it says it fixes battery issue, now im charging it, lets see what will happen after the charge.
talomer40

Postby talomer40 » April 18th, 2015, 6:21 am

Hello again,

Even after the update, the Neato was connected to the charger all night, just started working and after 5 sec massege on screen saying he has a low battery.

Before i go to change the battery again (i bought a pair and i have 1 new i didnt use yet)
How can i check if it is battery or the charger?
talomer40

Postby vic7767 » April 18th, 2015, 9:42 am

Right after a full charge is completed, remove batteries and measure voltage of each. They should read 8+ volts. Use a dc bulb (brake light) and see how long a single pack will keep the lamp lit while watching voltage until 6 volts is reached. One hour will indicate the battery is OK. Test both batteries.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 18th, 2015, 2:03 pm

You can also read battery voltage under load over USB with the Neato Control Program or terminal emulator.
The fan alone can turned on as 1 amp load. The Fuel Gauge parameter can be checked.
Most likely the battery is bad without error messages or other anomalies during charging.
It cannot hurt just to try the other battery temporarily to see any difference.
The batteries wear out unused on the shelf unless charged every now and then anyway (maybe every six months).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 19th, 2015, 7:32 am

I want to test the battery with USB and the terminal, should i run the command to check all sensors?
What info should i seek in the output?
talomer40

Postby Lewiy » April 19th, 2015, 9:45 am

Have you checked the battery contact reliability? Short-term loss of contact leads to a message that the batteries are empty.
If the contacts are reliable, you can check the characteristics of the battery charge by repetition via USB GetCharger every 3-5 seconds (NeatoControl is suitable for these purposes).
I do not think that the check of sensors will help you.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 19th, 2015, 9:57 am

What do you mean by "battery contact reliability" ?

You mean connect the neato to usb and run the command every 3-5 sec?
should the neato stay connected to power or not while connecting to USB?
What parameters should i need to check there?
talomer40

Postby glnc222 » April 19th, 2015, 1:35 pm

I was thinking more of simply checking the drop in voltage when the fan is running. A large drop, maybe more than half a volt, not sure, indicates a bad battery. The fully charged battery reads over 16v without the fan running.
The battery connector should be checked physically, see if the hollow parts are closed enough for a tight fit.
Best if another battery is available to compare the voltages. The Fuel Gauge from GetCharger should show close to 100 per cent when fully charged. Charging current from the dock can be checked, normally close to 2 amps.
I think shows as negative over USB, for direction going into the battery. So see if the dock and charger are working. Most likely a bad battery which does not hold a full charger. The voltage may show correct after fully charged, but charges too quickly and discharges too quickly. Those are the symptoms of worn out batteries.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Lewiy » April 19th, 2015, 2:27 pm

talomer40 wrote:What do you mean by "battery contact reliability" ?

If the contact is lost for a moment, after its recovery the charge level will be set 14%. Therefore, the machine tells you that the battery is empty. This is from my personal experience.

talomer40 wrote: You mean connect the neato to usb and run the command every 3-5 sec?
should the neato stay connected to power or not while connecting to USB?
What parameters should i need to check there?

Yes. While Neato is charged at the station, send him GetCh via USB. In response, a special interest is the parameter Charger_mAH; 1939. It should be 1800-2000 mAh for an hour or two while the battery charge lasts. In addition you will be able to interpret VBattV, VExtV, BattTempCAvg, FuelPercent.
Lewiy
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 19th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Above
If the contact is lost for a moment, after its recovery the charge level will be set 14%.

Very important. Bad connection in the battery connector makes the computer record a discharged state of the battery causing the program to prevent cleaning. It is possible to reset this state, the Fuel Gauge per cent, over USB and show that the battery is really fully charged.

The hollow side of the molex connector can be loosened over time and can be tightened by inserting something to try and bend the slit parts more closed. Both sides can be cleaned with alcohol.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » April 20th, 2015, 4:06 pm

glnc222 wrote:...The hollow side of the molex connector can be loosened over time and can be tightened by inserting something to try and bend the slit parts more closed. ...
Nicely expressed advisory glnc222, and well suited for the huge number of readers that have no interest in technical detail! However, we do have technical details (pix too) in an existing post for the few that do wish to gain intimacy. They may take this link to obtain that learning experience: viewtopic.php?p=121916#p121916

In addition to the enlarged power sockets' issue there was at least one case of power-pin push-back in one of Neato's in-chassis Molex connectors. The 'push-backed' pin became almost totally de-mated from its socket. See that post here: viewtopic.php?p=94520#p94520
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 30th, 2015, 10:57 am

Hi All,
Thank you for the reposes, i have yet tried to read the Charger_mAH.
Last week the Neato worked 2 times, worked good, three days ago the neato started to clean and got stuck in a rubber, i didnt move it for 1 day, after it i cleaned the brush and connected it to the station and it happened again, started working and stopped after 10-15 minutes saying low battery.
I connected it to the charger again but again it happened - - started working and stopped after 10-15 minutes saying low battery.
I think but im not sure - that the station is not charging good i will check it with USB and the command you gave me.
+ do you think it has anything to do with the fact that if im not at home and Neato is stuck (brush or cat games) the battery is being fully empty and then it the problem comes again?
talomer40

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2015, 11:16 am

It would appear that the battery pair capacity is poor. Possibly, select "New Battery" from the menu and then charge the Neato for a full day without running a cleaning cycle, then, test the capacity by running a cleaning session.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 30th, 2015, 11:33 am

ok,
You mean have it full empty, connect it to the charger station and while it charges choose "new Battery"?
talomer40

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2015, 11:41 am

No, with the Neato not on the charger, select New Battery and then put it on the charger and do not use it for 24 hours. Then try a cleaning cycle. What you are trying to do is recover possible unbalanced individual cells that are not able to reach their individual full capacity. Leaving the Neato alone for 24 hours while on the charger may help the cells become balanced.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 30th, 2015, 11:43 am

ok - but he is fully empty now, i have to charge it a bit in order to choose "New Battery"
talomer40

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2015, 12:27 pm

OK, if the battery pair is so discharged that the Neato menu cannot be used then of course place it on the charger and select New battery. For the future, never let the batteries discharge that low. It is not good for them to be totally discharged.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby talomer40 » April 30th, 2015, 1:28 pm

ok,
I want fully discharged, i choose "new battery" - i put it in the station, the light was flashing and it was showing that it is charging but after 5 minutes the light is green (not flashing) and the battery looks in the LCD as full.
(this is after i had low battery 10 minutes ago)

Should i leave it for 24 hours?
talomer40

Next

Return to Neato Robotics