Firmware 3.4

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Firmware 3.4

Postby glnc222 » December 15th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Russian files earlier in this thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127302#p127302
(the last file listed, a second v3.0 link, is no longer online)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby grover0 » December 16th, 2015, 8:21 am

It worked! Thanks! My Neato XV11 (board rev 64) is now running 3.4. I looked at the Russian thread (thanks for pointing me back to that in your link), which gave me the right commands and switches to use with NeatoUpgrader.exe. The firmware update failed the first time, the screen was blank and LED ring was green and there was no response when pressing buttons. I thought I had bricked it, but pulling the battery out did the trick. I did it a second time and now is running 3.4.24079.
grover0

Postby glnc222 » December 16th, 2015, 12:44 pm

The discontinued bottom link in Lewiy's post above is for Hex's Neato Control website which may have duplicated the Russian forum post material. I may get more info why Hex removed his version and may post an english version of the instructions. The script appears to automate terminal use of the USB commands for flashing which might be usable manually, not sure. You can see some time delays put in between commands to await responses. Some expertise in flashing microcontroller firmware is needed. Some terminal emulators have scripting features, RealTerm, TeraTerm on SourceForge.net. The files may include a custom terminal emulator.

It is common with flashing that a system must be rebooted after flashed, so that the modified code is started, often by disconnecting power. During the flash a separate copy is running which must be terminated. It is like PC's having to reboot when upating Windows. Garmin GPS units are this way when updating online, instructions to turn on and off the unit at certain times.

[edit] I am working on a post with english version of the instructions.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 17th, 2015, 12:03 am

I think I have located a confusion involved in the Russian instructions for offline firmware updating.

[edit] This material is limited to the newer Rev.64 "Binky" system board processor. For the oldest Rev. 113 "Cruz" boards (on machines with a charging jack on the side) a method using Vorwerk's procedure instead of Neato Robotics was found. It was previously reported Vorwerk and Neato use the same firmware except for unpublished configuration commands set over USB when installing, allowing charging lithium batteries in the Neato robots for example (lithium and NIMh batteries require different charging procedures). See separate thread "Guide: How to Update Neato XV Series With Vorwerk Updater" http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005. Rev113 board code files from Vorwerk have also been used with the Neato Upgrader here listed for Rev64 only; later post below http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=134925#p134925.
Remember the old Rev113 Cruz system board is incompatible with firmware beyond v3.1 (online; 3.2 now found working offline per later posts).
[edit] Complete older rev113 Cruz file collection for Neato Upgrader https://github.com/NoahJaehnert/Neato-XV-Series-Cruz-Rev-113-Update courtesy djos post
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=134994#p134994
-- know your system board type: old boards have working side jack for charging.
Rev64 Binky picture http://xv11hacking.wikispaces.com/PCB+rev.+64?responseToken=1fde818a4b8987f46d1d464e64e89ca2
Rev113 Cruz http://xv11hacking.wikispaces.com/PCB+rev.+64

[edit] Offline updating is more correct than online, eliminating any internet connection failures. Correct online procedures would first download all files to the PC for an offline procedure and just automatically proceed.
The online procedure might also check the status of the existing firmware in the robot and the system board to insure compatibility. Details of Neato's procedure were not disclosed.

Neato Upgrader Tool and Driver Installation
There are references to both a "NeatoUpgrader" program and a "NeatoUpdaterTool".
The "Updater Tool" is the installation file from the Neato updating website, now discontinued. However, the tool file links are still active, and I have copies of the files if needed. These files are also used to send USB commands to Botvac for which no updating web pages ever existed at the company website, barring access to the files through the web page menus.
As posted for use in the Neato Control Program thread:
Windows 64-bit:
http://www.neatoroboticsupdates.com/Nea ... er_x64.exe
32-bit:
http://www.neatoroboticsupdates.com/Nea ... er_x86.exe
Note in 64 bit Windows 7, and all 8 and later a global setting is needed to over-ride prohibition of unsigned drivers,
regardless of any options presented locally on screen by obsolete code. Instructions on the web, e.g. here
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=125431#p125431 Prodcedure varies over different Windows versions as Microsoft moves things around.

The installation files install two different things, a USB driver in Windows for the Neato XV and Botvac devices, identifying them to programs, and also a kind of terminal emulator program "NeatoUpgrader" installed in the Windows Program Files (x86) directory, in a Neato Robotics folder. The Upgrader is used by the second, firmware install step on the company updating website (now discontinued).
[edit] The Updgrade tool also records a log file of its operations which reveals details of the update procedure at C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\NeatoUpgrader\Logs\

The Upgrader takes a script file argument. The script file contains commands for the Upgrader which uses a Send command to send USB commands and data to the robot, as well as internal commands such as time delay WAIT etc.
The Upgrader script will reference another file of .enc type containing the firmware to be uploaded to the robot.
These files are supplied by the links in Lewiy's post earlier in this thread
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=127302#p127302
(the last file listed, a second v3.0 link to Hex's Neato Control website, is no longer online. Duplicate of the other material not needed)

The robot itself performs the flashing operation given the data.
The risk involved is if the flashing over-writes the flashing program itself, there could be a problem in case of any errors, destroying the ability to re-flash any correction. Many software and hardware techniques are used to arrange these things in a robust, error resistant way which can recover from errors, with duplicate copies etc. We do not know how good the Neato work was. Garmin GPS units get updated all the time for map revisions and never show problems, example of a proper system.

A user above reports success with the process, along with Russian users etc. (Shirgal also reports success). It is important that the robot and PC be in perfect working order, equipped with a good charged battery, and run on battery -- because power management from the dock is under software control, which software is being updated...

Hardware issues
The Russian .enc files supplied are for the newer, v64 "Binky" system board Neato XV series only. v113 "Cruz" boards have a different, incompatible microcontroller and circuits. The newer system boards are in all units lacking the side jack for direct charger connection on original XV's. Some units also had the jack but covered up with a plug. It may be necessary to open the case and examine the system board. See Mods & Repairs main forum page for links to disassembly instructions. Installing the wrong software in a system can render it irrepairable, "bricked" (usable only as a brick...).

Script File and Procedure
I have edited a translation by Lewiy of the Russian instructions. Neato Robotics does not explain details of the Upgrader commands, so it is not clear what would be done just by issuing USB commands manually. Some of the Upgrader commands likely relate to properly exiting and restarting the robot system. It is typically necessary to reboot a system, powering on and off, after flashing firmware. This is similar to rebooting a Windows PC when installing some system software updates. The reboot loads things into memory which are difficult to arrange once the system is already setup in memory and messy to manipulate, while the system is running.

Instructions:
1) Download the firmware .enc file desired
2) Rename the firmware file for easy - file.enc (i.e. filename "file")
3) Create a text script file my.txt with the following content :

send SetLanguage None
getlocal file.enc
wait 5000 (corrected previous typo "5000 wait" per Shirgal following post0
send testmode on (note this USB command must always be set off manually instead of just disconnecting USB or closing a terminal program, or by rebooting the system as done here)
send-nowait setsystemmode PowerCycleCDC (unkown function of upgrader)
wait 22000
upload code reboot
wait 22000
send getversion
send SetLanguage None

4) Copy my.txt file to the folder where you installed NeatoUpgrader.exe (usually "C:\Program Files(x86)\Neato Robotics\" or "C:\Program Files\Neato Robotics\" depending on the operating system) .
5) Connect the robot to the computer in the usual way, and turn it on.
6) Run in the folder where you installed NeatoUpgrader.exe, the following command at a command prompt:
NeatoUpgrader.exe /NoServer my.txt

If the robot has been connected properly (in the list of COM-ports has Neato), then the whole process will take place rather quickly - first, the screen goes blank and the robot will restart the service mode, which will be active only a special boot firmware. Further, the robot will be loaded with firmware from the specified file. If all goes well, the robot will restart again and ask you to select the language as in the first turn. It's all!
The robot then write that he wants to charge - this is normal and has been repeatedly discussed.
User in previous post mentioned needing to power off and restart the Neato to properly reboot.
Perhaps there was an issue merely because Testmode OFF was not included, unknown.
Last edited by glnc222 on March 13th, 2016, 2:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby shirgal » December 17th, 2015, 3:26 pm

[quote="glnc222"

send SetLanguage None
getlocal file.enc
5000 wait
send testmode on (note this USB command must always be set off manually instead of just disconnecting USB or closing a terminal program, or by rebooting the system as done here)
send-nowait setsystemmode PowerCycleCDC (unkown function of upgrader)
wait 22000
upload code reboot
wait 22000
send getversion
send SetLanguage None
.[/quote]

Some notes :

1-Third row should be "wait 5000" same as "wait 22000"
2-At instruction renaming the file into "file.enc" is a must not for easy.

Just did success one now 3.01 to 3.4
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » December 17th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Fixed post line per Shirgal. Looks like "send testmode off" could be added at end, the last lines sending normal USB commands after flashing complete. The flash is performed by the "upload code reboot" line, which may not be rebooting properly, not clear as a power disconnect was found needed.
Setting language to none is odd, there are terms to select the language which could be used at the end. None just makes the operation usable in any country, in the online procedure.

[edit]Shrigal also reports successful upgrading.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby shirgal » December 17th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Yes i did twice with no issue rebooting, although the language set to None when boot finished Neato ask you to select your language and the marker is on English row.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby Persson » December 20th, 2015, 5:31 am

Ive tried downloading the neatocontrol(.exe) but cant launch the program!What am I doing wrong?

Im trying to fix my mothers xv signature pro (lidar doesnt spin) by getting 3,4. The lidar "belt" is okey.

Am I stupid? :)
Persson

Postby vic7767 » December 20th, 2015, 10:35 am

You need to download the NeatoControl(ZIP) file and then unzip it first. Then within the unzipped folder you will find the exe file to run.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Persson » December 21st, 2015, 4:56 pm

vic7767 wrote:You need to download the NeatoControl(ZIP) file and then unzip it first. Then within the unzipped folder you will find the exe file to run.

Sorry. It was neato upgrader I meant!
Can you upgrade from neatocontrol also?
Persson

Postby glnc222 » December 21st, 2015, 5:21 pm

Firmware has nothing to do with why the lidar does not spin. Updating risks damage while not fixing anything in this case. The lidar motor is faulty, or the connections, or the bearing. There is no additional information from Neato Control if you already know the lidar is not spinning. You can turn the spin on and off with it.

[edit] You cannot update firmware with Neato Control. The Neato Upgrader does that and only when used with the correct firmware files. Running incorrectly can damage the unit.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Persson » December 23rd, 2015, 3:45 am

Ive got the "vision blocked 3000" fault code and the lidar is not moving at all.

So the unit is bust then :) I read something on neato.com that I could try and upgrade it to make it work in some mysterious way.

I guess "scan lds" is lidar test?
Persson

Postby vic7767 » December 23rd, 2015, 11:00 am

You can test the Lidar motor using a 9 volt battery. If it spins then the main board will need replacing, if the motor does not spin then the motor needs replacing.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 23rd, 2015, 2:41 pm

Lidar motor thread "My vission was blocked..." http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=124670#p124670
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby kslmgd » January 1st, 2016, 3:56 am

Just updated neato es.. with 3.2 to 3.4 no problems at all !
:thanks: :cheers:
kslmgd

Postby aliby » January 1st, 2016, 5:28 pm

Does anyone have the 3.1 files for the XV21 Rev 113 board?

I have an XV21 that has the following versions and would like to upgrade to get the corner cleaning functionality:

SW 2.4.15667
LDS V2.6.15295
Board Rev 113

Thanks!
aliby

Postby aliby » January 1st, 2016, 6:01 pm

Disregard. I was able to get the firmware from Vorwerk's site for the Rev 113/Cruz board and flash it to my Neato manually using the same instructions provided here for the Rev 64/Binky ones.

I will write up a how-to in a new thread shortly.
aliby

Postby djos » January 2nd, 2016, 4:43 am

anyone got the "cruz" rev113 FW3.1?

I have an old XV-11 Im restoring which is stuck on FW2.6.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby djos » January 2nd, 2016, 5:15 am

djos wrote:anyone got the "cruz" rev113 FW3.1?

Never mind, I figured out a much better way and wrote a guide:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby aliby » January 2nd, 2016, 12:37 pm

djos wrote:
djos wrote:anyone got the "cruz" rev113 FW3.1?

Never mind, I figured out a much better way and wrote a guide:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19005

I agree, this is a much better/easier way than I ended up doing. Long story short, I pulled the files of Vorwerk's website manually and found the password for the ZIP files. Then I used the same method for offline firmware flashing that heXor originally posted to his Bitbucket with the .enc firmware files provided by Vorwerk.

In case anyone's interested, I posted the necessary files for Rev 113/Cruz to my Github here: https://github.com/NoahJaehnert/Neato-X ... 113-Update. Using these, I now have a fully functioning Neato XV-21 with the following firmware versions:

SW 3.2.18755
LDS V2.6.15295
Board Rev 113
aliby

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics