NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: NeatoControl - program for diagnostic neato robots

Postby EvilPaladin » July 21st, 2016, 11:02 am

i have a XV-21 on SW 2.6.15840 Rev 113
I'm trying to update the firmware via the neatocontrol/Vorwek Updater method. But it seems like i failed at the neatocontrol stage.

I turn on the XV-21 and check on device manager that it appears on COM5
i then select "connect" on NeatoControl 3.1 and it just totally shutdown the XV-21 and closes the NeatoControl program. (I tried unchecking "auto detect port number", renaming the "Com Port name" to COM5, nothing works)

NeatoControl goes into a "Not Responding" mode and immediately closes itself.

Details of my machine:
Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Is there anything else I can try?
EvilPaladin

Postby 3kgt » July 21st, 2016, 6:04 pm

First i wanna say Thanks for the Dev of the app.
But the links for instructions videos are not working!
And i dont know how to test the left wall IR/sensor and if i read the lidar correct. and side brush motor dosent work either for me.
Botvac 70e

Edit..All sensors work...i get value from all of them.
i was to tierd too see the values under the false/true test
Love robot vacums :)
Today: Neato Botvac 70E
Tested: Neato XV-14,15, Signature pro & Irobot 521,581, 630,650,780 + 2 Samsung modells + XV-25 + Scooba 230
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby ofirshw » August 14th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Hi,
I tried mine (Botvac D75 with NeatoControl 3.1), and I can get all the readings besides the Lidar (I turned it on using the program, it doesn't start rotating nor reading).
Also, all the controls work (wheels, brushes, vacuum) besides the side-brush.

When I'm running Neato for cleaning, both Lidar and side-brush work.
Please assist.
ofirshw

Postby glnc222 » August 14th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Older Versions
Links to very old versions have been discontinued, but version 2.8 which could avoid any bugs in the latest 3.x
is active at https://yadi.sk/d/j7BciZA8tgEbU

Additional at the regular depository v1.8, v2.9 https://bitbucket.org/heXor/neatocontrol/downloads

For fastest response post bug reports to https://bitbucket.org/heXor/neatocontrol/issues
and translate to Russian if possible, with Google translator or Chrome browser, or other service.
Last edited by glnc222 on August 16th, 2016, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ofirshw » August 15th, 2016, 5:31 am

Thanks! for some reason, today it did work, and in both versions.
I'm not sure what changed.
ofirshw

Postby glnc222 » August 16th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Additional Old Versions

At the regular depository v1.8, v2.9 https://bitbucket.org/heXor/neatocontrol/downloads

For fastest response post bug reports to https://bitbucket.org/heXor/neatocontrol/issues
and translate to Russian if possible, with Google translator or Chrome browser, or other service.
Observe professional programming standards of reporting, precise and specific to aid the programmer.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JFet » December 2nd, 2016, 9:30 am

Hi,
I get message "error 22" when i am trying to connect and app crashing .
Please find attached pic.
Could you please help me?
Thanks
Attachments
dddd.png
dddd.png (4.55 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
JFet

Postby glnc222 » December 2nd, 2016, 3:50 pm

Not sure, but that could be an internal Windows error about its own USB interface devices instead of about the vacuum, implying some fault in the Neato Control code or the OS, a USB protocol issue. Communications with the robot can be tested separately with a terminal emulator program, hyperterminal, teraterm etc. before trying the Neato Control. Windows utilities will show the robot device. Also try another version of Neato Control. Reboot the PC Windows. See the USB Neato Programming manual links at top of main forum page. All Neato Control com with the robot uses these text commands. Experts may offer other opinions.
Certain very old AMD PC's with Nvidia system boards have a fault in the USB system board drivers. Newer PC's and Intel based ones always worked.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby JRG57 » December 12th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Two weeks ago I bought a second hand Neato XV-21 with the following data:

SN 0148998
SW 3.2.18755
LDS V2.6.15295
Board Rev. 64
Board SN 18077

I am not sure how old it is but the seller told me that it functioned without problems until the day he decided to sell it. I unpacked it charged it and was exited to test it. Ist my first robot.
Unfortunately it does not do what it is described to do. It hoovers the edges 3-5 times and very rarely turn to the mid floor area and if it does only for a few seconds after which it escapes back to the edges. I have made a soft reset and a hard reset but no improvement.

Some days ago I downloaded the NeatoControl program v. 3.3 and yesterday I made a lidar test and found out that the lidar does not recognise anything on a longer distance that 90 cm. I did a test with different objects, moved them closer and further away from the lidar until they disapeared (app. 90 cm distance).
I have read about the function GetLDS but I do not know how to perform it.

What courses the lidat to get short sighted?
What can I do to find the course for the short-sightedness?
Would it possibly solve the problem changing the 7 caps (100 uF/25V) on the board?

Could someone of you guys with experience with the NeatoControl SW make a short description on how to interpret the fifferent values and views provided?
That would be great.
JRG57

Postby glnc222 » December 12th, 2016, 6:39 pm

This particular failure, distance, has not been posted before. GetLDS is a text command in the USB Neato manual, link top of main forum page, published at Neato Robotics website (copies available if not there anymore). They are used with a terminal emulator program, Hyperterminal, Putty, Teraterm etc. A separate command spins the lidar before taking a scan. Neato Control automates the text commands and renders the scan data graphically.
The distance loss might be due to either lenses out of focus or some loss of power in the beam, or sensitivity in the detector. Sorry you got a lemon. Lidar units are expensive parts.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby joker18 » December 13th, 2016, 1:30 am

JRG57 wrote:Two weeks ago I bought a second hand Neato XV-21 with the following data:

SN 0148998
SW 3.2.18755
LDS V2.6.15295
Board Rev. 64
Board SN 18077

I am not sure how old it is but the seller told me that it functioned without problems until the day he decided to sell it. I unpacked it charged it and was exited to test it. Ist my first robot.
Unfortunately it does not do what it is described to do. It hoovers the edges 3-5 times and very rarely turn to the mid floor area and if it does only for a few seconds after which it escapes back to the edges. I have made a soft reset and a hard reset but no improvement.

Some days ago I downloaded the NeatoControl program v. 3.3 and yesterday I made a lidar test and found out that the lidar does not recognise anything on a longer distance that 90 cm. I did a test with different objects, moved them closer and further away from the lidar until they disapeared (app. 90 cm distance).
I have read about the function GetLDS but I do not know how to perform it.

What courses the lidat to get short sighted?
What can I do to find the course for the short-sightedness?
Would it possibly solve the problem changing the 7 caps (100 uF/25V) on the board?

Could someone of you guys with experience with the NeatoControl SW make a short description on how to interpret the fifferent values and views provided?
That would be great.

The used Neato Botvac Connected I bought some months had the same problem. It was nearsighted and did not navigate properly. Never found the docking station and was going over the same spot many times.
What I did was trial and error. I opened the lidar, marked on the laser and lens position and then started to move them and tested after each modification using neato control. For me it was very difficult to adjust the lens, It needed a lot of force to move so I ended pushing forward the laser a few milimiters. This solved the problem for good.
It never failed on me afterwards.
joker18

Postby JRG57 » December 13th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Thank you joker18 for your hint. I guess I will have to try the same.
Did you take the lidar unit completely out or did you unscrew the tower top and assembled everything else after that?

I will not be able to do the work before next year (-: as I will be in holiday from coming weekend for 3 weeks.
I will report back if I will be succesful or not. Chross fingers.

If anyone else had the same experience I would be thankful for your comments.
JRG57

Postby vic7767 » December 13th, 2016, 3:13 pm

You basically have two options. As mentioned above in this thread, you can make small adjustments to the Lidar installed inside your Neato. It's possible to accomplish those adjustments with just the top of the turret removed from the Lidar.

Option 2 would be to purchase a second Lidar and replace the one installed.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby joker18 » December 14th, 2016, 12:58 pm

JRG57 wrote:Thank you joker18 for your hint. I guess I will have to try the same.
Did you take the lidar unit completely out or did you unscrew the tower top and assembled everything else after that?

I will not be able to do the work before next year (-: as I will be in holiday from coming weekend for 3 weeks.
I will report back if I will be succesful or not. Chross fingers.

If anyone else had the same experience I would be thankful for your comments.

You don't need to take the lidar completely out, take just the top off. Also, if you take it out you will have to work a lot to assemble it back after each small adjustment and for sure you don't want that :D.
joker18

Postby glnc222 » December 14th, 2016, 3:55 pm

The lidar is easily removed as an entire unit with power and data plugs.

More lidar repair posts have appeared on other websites, shown in Google search. e.g.
http://blog.avrnoob.com/2015/08/neato-b ... -1-ir.html
The lidar interface is a serial output with a protocol which was published once and the unit is taken out of Neato's for other uses. Software packages offered. It might be necessary to hook it up to something besides a Neato to adjust it, I don't know. These things are useful to hobbyists equipped for that kind of work on instruments, given the expense.

An instrument just for Neato lidars has been offered $30 https://www.getsurreal.com/?v=47e5dceea252

Discussed in thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19060

It might be possible to get the lidar firing stationary and observe the focus with a camera or the data response to moving the lens. I think it was mentioned the receiver lens is fixed in place, like a simple camera. Then only the laser lens needs adjustment. You'll have to check.

[edit] Pulsing and low power of the laser (for safety) may make it hard to see even with an ordinary camera.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby befaythful » December 29th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site, but have been reading a lot in the past few days. I too am having an issue with NeatoControl. I just brought in a XV-11 with a bad LCD. When I charge, I can start it, but it runs for a few minutes, then turns off. It will not restart unless I place on charger first.

I hoped to get more info using NeatoControl. I installed the driver, and tried three versions of NeatoControl. Every version crashes when I click connect. On the newest version, I get the "error 22" and on the other versions, I get the WaitCommEvent Fail.

I've got the Neato ("Arthur") against his charger and plugged into my USB port, and I've verified in "Devices" that my USB Port is showing Neato.

I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

-befaythful
befaythful

Postby glnc222 » December 30th, 2016, 3:44 am

Information Neato Control displays graphically can be had in text using a terminal emulator, teraterm, hyperterminal etc., with the USB commands link top of main forum page or in Mods & repairs list. This can also test communications with the robot, the driver, and the robot's communication function. Neato Control uses these commands to get all its data and just provides a handy interface and do continuous polling etc.
I never ran the program in Windows 10 64 bit so don't know about that, but I have run it in 32 bit Win10, on a compact laptop, netbook. I suppose someone has run it in 64bit somewhere as most computers are built that way for some years now, except when ultra-compact, tablets and similar.

The Neato failure mentioned sounds like a worn out or defective battery which has lost capacity. Trouble shooting Neato always requires a known good battery to start with. Data from Neato Control will not do much more than reveal this condition. The battery can also be tested out of the Neato attaching a load such as a 12v 25w auto or other lamp, some 10W resistors in parallel, whatever, about a 2 amp load, and check the voltage drop (the two packs in series for the whole battery).

The program error observed might originate within the Windows communication software instead of in the Neato Control.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby thomas » January 14th, 2017, 11:01 am

Hi

i'm trying to use Neato Controll on my xv11 with SW 2.4.15667 and board rev 113.

the problem is, when im execute the command "connect" in neate controll ver 3.3 i don't get any response from the neato.
Running it on Win7 Prof SP1 x64

1. i installed the "NeatoUpdaterToolInstaller_x64"
2. i don't understand what this means:

Use
Place the driver - by downloading the firmware update program (Neato Updater Tool) to Off.
-->What should i place to off ???

3. Second attempt to connect to the neato by terminal (BrayTerminal v1.93b)
Connect to comport 3 in this case.
send: GetVersion
response: nothing.

Can anybody help me to understand the problem ?

Edit:
Solved the problem by using another pc: Lenovo laptop with intel chipset.

Thank you
thomas

Postby glnc222 » January 14th, 2017, 2:28 pm

The driver package for PC's installs two things, the driver and an app for updating firmware, not used by Neato Control (but can be used for offline updating firmware, another thread). The app is a type of script driven terminal emulator with special functions. There is a USB text command for flashing.
The driver contains the unique device ID embedded in the robot, so Windows can locate the port to which the robot is connected. The same ID is in Neato Control to automatically find the driver, through internal Windows tables. ID shown in Advanced options in Device Manager.

Some old AMD PC's had a fault in NVIDIA PC system board drivers preventing Neato's USB protocol, which no other company used so never fixed by NVIDIA.
The USB connection can be tested by seeing the robot in Windows Devices and Printers or Device Manager, and using a terminal emulator for text commands.

Caution oldest, Rev113 Cruz Neato system board cannot use firmware above v3.2, and can be damaged by flashing higher versions -- cpu change.
See Mods & Repairs list main forum page for relevant links.

[edit] I noticed that with Botvac Connected, support was added to connect a flash drive to the USB, with an OTG cable supplying a USB host side, instead of using the PC as the flashing source, adding more reliability for PC faults damaging the Robot by incorrect flashing. Vorwerk has always been more thorough in this area. There are no updates, though, to the original Botvac software, just for the WiFi versions.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby deepfriarmedia » April 30th, 2017, 10:25 pm

EvilPaladin wrote:i have a XV-21 on SW 2.6.15840 Rev 113
I'm trying to update the firmware via the neatocontrol/Vorwek Updater method. But it seems like i failed at the neatocontrol stage.

I turn on the XV-21 and check on device manager that it appears on COM5
i then select "connect" on NeatoControl 3.1 and it just totally shutdown the XV-21 and closes the NeatoControl program. (I tried unchecking "auto detect port number", renaming the "Com Port name" to COM5, nothing works)

NeatoControl goes into a "Not Responding" mode and immediately closes itself.

Details of my machine:
Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Is there anything else I can try?

Mine keeps doing the same thing! I have everything correctly installed and I am running a similar setup to yours. I also find that it does this on other computers and os'. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with my vacuum. I want to update becuase my xv-11 is stuck at 2.4 and can't use the high performance filters.
deepfriarmedia

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics