Having problems with Neato Botvac D5 Connected

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Having problems with Neato Botvac D5 Connected

Postby -paranoid- » January 23rd, 2017, 6:57 pm

Hello, people. I'm Rodrigo, from Brazil. I just got a Neato D5 Connected and ran into some troubles. While looking for answers I came across this board, hope anyone can shed some light for me...

First of all, the robot connects correctly with the app and wifi, but when I start cleaning, it leaves the base up to arround 10" then stays still and after ~5sec it stops, sounds a chime and shows an error. The app just says "Reboot Me". When I do the whole rebooting sequence, it does it all over again. One thing my wife noticed was that the lasers turret is not moving.

Somebody knows what caould be happening?

Thanks in advance! :wink:
-paranoid-

Re: Having problems with Neato Botvac D5 Connected

Postby glnc222 » January 23rd, 2017, 7:38 pm

The unit is defective and needs to be returned. A message to "reboot" means the computer encountered a non-recoverable error executing software. Any number of engineering defects could result in such failure. As to the lidar, it will not be spinning once the robot stops. If it is not spinning while moving, it will quickly issue an error message. The professional approach to repair such defects, efficiently, is to replace the major components one at a time until it works. Most suspect is the main computer system board, major part of the unit value. Not worth the time to analyze it tediously, when in the end some component module will still need replacement. Especially if it is new under warranty.
Specific errors with sensors and motors tend to produce particular error messages such as wheel blocked etc. These are issued with the software running, cpu good. Asking to reboot goes to the cpu itself.
What does customer service say?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 24th, 2017, 12:01 am

As this is a WiFi unit there is a further complication -- failure in the WiFi connection or in the cell phone app.
One thing which is done with cpu failures in the robot is rebooting by switching off the battery power, same as on many devices, insuring a full restart. I do not know how interruptions in WiFi communication would affect this model. Trying it in a room close to the router might show a difference in behavior.
If it can operate without the WiFi just using a start button try that.

One reason it could shut down a few feet from the dock is failure to charge the battery fully or a faulty battery, that is it runs out of power off the dock so fast the cpu cannot even run anymore. The state of charge on the battery can be checked over USB with the Neato Control Program (they do not include such things in the WiFi app apparently, though they could). The Fuel Gauge parameter should be close to 100 when full and the battery voltage around 13v at least (it is a 12 volt system I think, but could be higher; anything below 12 certainly would be a discharged state. Check the battery label for the operating voltage.)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby -paranoid- » January 24th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It's fully charged. Could try the control program, though I'm not optimistic. It also does the same thing when not connected at all.

Returning the robot unfortunately is not an option, since I live in a non supported country.

Thanks once again.
-paranoid-

Postby vic7767 » January 24th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Since you are not under a warranty restriction you might consider opening up your D5 and have a look at all the connectors while paying particular attention to all battery cables, plugs and jacks. Also double check the battery pack and wiring.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 24th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Looking more closely at your description it seems the robot shuts down immediately after leaving the base. So the lidar has not even started to spin the first time. The lidar can be checked with a graphic display with the Neato Control Program. Many defects in the lidar can be repaired. However, stopping immediately could mean any one of the operating parts has a fault, such as the fan or brush motor failing to start (drive wheels appear to work if it has pulled off the dock). Battery and power problems are suspect as the robot is switching from dock power to battery power at the time of failure. The robot should be booted off the dock to see if the battery power is working. The USB can be run there.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby -paranoid- » January 25th, 2017, 9:37 pm

So, I don't it's the battery is at fault, as the robot will start from off the base. It also responds to presses on the bumper switches, if done before it shows the error.

Thanks, I think I'll try the Control Program. I can get it from the website, right?
-paranoid-

Postby JEfromCanada » January 25th, 2017, 10:17 pm

The control program is user-created. Check the forum for the thread about this software. It should include a download link.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby DannyR » March 4th, 2018, 6:56 am

Hi @-paranoid-, i am having exactly the same problem as you had, with my D5 Connected, can you tell me what the solution was, thanks. br /Danny
DannyR

Postby SpiderSpartan » March 18th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I'm having the same problem. Bot pulls about 10" off the dock, starts the vacuum, starts the brush, and then stops everything. Then it starts all the motors again, stops, starts a third time, and stops with a message asking to be rebooted. Anyone send a bot in for out of warranty repair?
SpiderSpartan

Postby SpiderSpartan » March 20th, 2018, 10:47 am

On another note, this doesn't happen every time. Only about 90% of the time. :lol: I just had 2 days of good cleaning. Then back to the standard MO of failure.
SpiderSpartan

Postby Erithtotl » April 19th, 2018, 9:16 am

I have a similar problem. The botvac is constantly losing connection to the app, or asking to be rebooted. It fails to complete most of the room. This morning its playing the same 5-notes every few minutes as well. I have excellent wifi in my apartment. I'm starting to wonder if its defective or just a piece of junk.

Anyone had success with these issues?
Erithtotl

Postby SpiderSpartan » April 19th, 2018, 9:41 am

I've not had any issues with connectivity on mine, just it failing to run and asking to be rebooted with no specific error message. I think my issue is related to the accelerometer, because if I give it a gentle kick at just the right time when it's starting it actually runs. It's a real shame Neato can't seem to figure out their hardware, because I really like the cleaning logic. I'm also not to happy that they don't offer any in house repair services. Now I have to decide if I really want to send my bot to a 3rd party repair shop.
SpiderSpartan

Postby Casassie » April 20th, 2018, 1:10 pm

I am currently having the exact same issue, though my unit did about 300 sqft before bringing up an error code my unit is only about 4 months old. :( not impressed.
Am I doomed to send it in?
Casassie

Postby Jrcanuck » July 21st, 2018, 4:13 pm

I too am having the issue with the D5.
It moves several inches from it’s station and revs up, only to shut down.
It repeats this process 3 times and it does not work.
It has a proper Wifi connection and the sensors are cleaned.

I see no solutions on this board. Does anyone have an answer?
Jrcanuck

Postby vic7767 » July 21st, 2018, 5:31 pm

Either the Lidar is not spinning up so the robot can't see or there may be a high current detected on the brush motor.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby duinsel » October 30th, 2018, 6:21 pm

I had this on my D3. Google led me to a youtube movie, in the comments someone suggested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ5UphdC1Nw
Neato D5 Connected - Reboot me error

"I just fixed mine. It did the same thing after something got lodged in the brush so it could not turn. After removing the object I could not get the error to clear. Finally I figured that one way to clear the error might be by causing a new error. After rebooting it and starting it back up, try holding it's left bumper in (your right as you face it). This will generate a new error and the info light will flash red. Let go of the bumper and it will turn blue. Now hold the bumper a second time before pressing the start button. It will error red again. Let go and it should turn blue again. Now press the start and hopefully it should work for you as it did for me."

And on the second attempt this helped me as well.
duinsel

Postby cae2111 » April 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I finally fixed mine 2 months ago, and have had no further problems in 8 cleaning cycles (once a week).
After having tried all of the DYI solutions/ suggestions above. I opened up the D5 and used 100psi compressed air to blow out the brush/beater bar motor and everything else that I could easily reach, I'm guessing that the dust from the motor brushes (or other dust) was causing a high amperage warning condition in its systems pre-check. :D
Bought new in July 2018, but did not want to deal with Neato, So my warranty is probably gone.
cae2111

Postby miknix » May 22nd, 2019, 10:26 am

cae2111 wrote:I finally fixed mine 2 months ago, and have had no further problems in 8 cleaning cycles (once a week).
After having tried all of the DYI solutions/ suggestions above. I opened up the D5 and used 100psi compressed air to blow out the brush/beater bar motor and everything else that I could easily reach, I'm guessing that the dust from the motor brushes (or other dust) was causing a high amperage warning condition in its systems pre-check. :D
Bought new in July 2018, but did not want to deal with Neato, So my warranty is probably gone.

@cae2111 So what exact issue were you experiencing before fixing it using compressed air? Did your D5 throw a "reboot me" message in the app after initiating the vacuum and moving a little bit from the dock? Or was yours throwing the error right at beginning of a vacuuming session before it even started moving?

SpiderSpartan wrote:I've not had any issues with connectivity on mine, just it failing to run and asking to be rebooted with no specific error message. I think my issue is related to the accelerometer, because if I give it a gentle kick at just the right time when it's starting it actually runs. It's a real shame Neato can't seem to figure out their hardware, because I really like the cleaning logic. I'm also not to happy that they don't offer any in house repair services. Now I have to decide if I really want to send my bot to a 3rd party repair shop.

@SpiderSpartan mine too is throwing the "reboot me" error immediately when I launch a vacuuming session, it doesn't even move or make any noise (besides the error beeping sound)! Have you found a solution? I'll try checking tonight if mine also starts moving if I give it a gentle push like you do.
miknix

Postby cae2111 » May 26th, 2019, 8:03 am

Mine had the problem in the 1st post, moved about 10" from dock and then tried to start up several times then shut down and asked to be rebooted. It is still working without additional problems cleaning 900 square feet weekly, after cleaning with compressed air.
cae2111

Next

Return to Neato Robotics