Neato Tire Traction

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato Tire Traction

Postby glnc222 » September 30th, 2015, 8:21 pm

One other 3D printer file has been posted, for an extension lowering the bottom bumper edge for tubular chair legs, scandinavian furniture etc. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=118974#p118974

See complete list of 3D printer files in the Mods & Repairs list top of main forum page. New items added when they appear, now including the wheel, tread, and axle.

Last edited by glnc222 on July 30th, 2016, 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » October 17th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Botvac Drive Wheel -- Geared

[edit] Now that rims are printable, the Botvac wheel may be unnecessary. Rims can be replaced.
The article notes gripping with a tight fit and some glue if necessary, which was not.

The Botvac drive wheel is also a gear with teeth on the inside edge, driven by pinion on the motor shaft.
The tread attachment appears to be studs instead of slots in the XV, but was not removed for perfect inspection.
Whether 3D printers, at least of the personal kind, can make gear teeth strong enough is a question.
Until replacement wheels are available, I am not removing the tread. I suspect the wheels will be packaged with the motors if they are ever sold, so unlikely to be practical.
BotvacWheel.JPG
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » January 18th, 2018, 2:17 am

A tread for use on deep pile carpet has been 3D printed
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2068532

glnc222
Robot Master

Postby benpieter » November 16th, 2018, 5:20 am

Printed the wheel in TPU. Had to cut some of the rim's plastic to make the new wheels fit. Eventually perfect and tight fit, however have to get some proper glue :mrgreen:

1.jpg
2.jpg
benpieter

Postby essayer » May 14th, 2019, 9:17 am

Bumping this as the tyres on my Botvac Connected lasted about a year before wearing so much it can't climb thresholds any longer! I think it occasionally gets stuck under the sofa and sits there for a long time driving the wheels but not moving, and it's out of warranty now..

Reading the post above, I'm guessing there's some way to 3D print wheels for it? Or maybe buy them premade?
essayer

Postby glnc222 » May 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm

The 3D printer code for the XV model drive wheel tread is at http://www.thingiverse.com/make:232141
No separate printing for Botvac instead of XV is posted, but perhaps the wheels are the same size. You would have to glue the tread onto the rims as the fastening cannot be reproduced (the rims are probably molded onto the wheels when made at the factory).

A couple of replacement wheels alone are listed on ebay, and several more with drive motors, complete assemblies, much more expensive.

There are services to 3D print things but fairly expensive if you do not have the printer and supplies yourself. They seem mainly for commercial makers of jewelry etc.

Another possibility is making a tread out of mouse pad foam rubber material as described earlier in this thread, which you would glue on -- simply strips of the material. Using a very tiny drill bit you might be able to insert cut off sewing pins into the rim as well, requires experiment.
Another material is harder foam mounting tape, which might be covered with an outer layer of softer weatherstrip foam. Or try other types of weatherstrip.

The Botvac wheel is a little harder to work with than the XV because of the gear teeth molding into the rim -- cannot be penetrated by fastening pins.
I see Thingsverse has added a printing for the Botvac drive pinion but still none for the wheel itself.
glnc222
Robot Master

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics