Which brush

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Which brush

Postby allpro » November 18th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Hello.
I’m a quire new Neato D7 owner.
It comes with spiral combo brush. Very satisfied so far the performance and noise.

Which brush would be recommended for carpets, wood, tiles and pet hairs:
Spiral combo brush or combo brush ?
Discription were so close when I compared these brushes.
allpro

Re: Which brush

Postby Brett » November 19th, 2018, 2:08 am

The spiral is simply quieter.

You are overthinking this. Any difference in performance would be too small to measure and overshadowed by differences in the type of carpet you have, the nature of the pet-hair etc etc. It is not as scientific as you think.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

Robot repair: www.qubot.com.au
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Noge » November 21st, 2018, 6:07 am

there's very little info abt the different brushes. on their website each brush basically has the same description.
Noge

Postby Noge » November 21st, 2018, 6:07 am

there's very little info abt the different brushes. on their website each brush basically has the same description.
Noge

Postby fmulders » November 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Hi, I have some experience with the different brushes. Which one is best for you depends on the floor type you are going to use it on and the kind of dirt that you are removing.

I will list the pros and cons for the types I know.

Beater Brush: with straight rubber blades:
My brush for the D3 used for living room and kitchen (tiles)
My brush for the XV-11 used for the 2nd floor (carpet)
- noisy on hard floors
- less good in removing hairs from carpets
+ hair is easy to remove
+ Is "beating" on carpet which will remove far more dust from it.

Spiral combo brush: My brush for the D85 used for the 1st floor. (wooden laminate)
- collected hair is extreme difficult to remove, need knife/tool to cut collected hair
- does not "beat" the carpet and therefore remove less dust from it.
+ No extra noise
+ removes hairs from carpet way better than the beater brush.

Hope this helps a little
fmulders
Robot Groupie

Postby Brett » November 26th, 2018, 9:22 pm

fmulders wrote:... - does not "beat" the carpet and therefore remove less dust from it ...

Sorry, this is not right. Each fibre of carpet gets "beaten" just as much with each brush - the only difference is that you don't have a whole line getting beaten at the same instant (therefore making much more noise).

Much as we want to believe that each of these things are scientifically tweaked by engineers with thick glasses to each scenario, they are not. Example:

Revision x machine is working well but is having a problem with hair buildup in a spot. Engineers find an improved design. Marketing people say: that's nice but what will we do with all the "old design" units in production and in stock? We'll sell the new one as "the pet edition" and charge more for it. Over time the new model number comes out with a different colour cover, and they are... ALL the new design!
"Discerning buyers" say I'll wait to pay more for the "Pet Edition" when it comes out...
*Facepalm!*

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

Robot repair: www.qubot.com.au
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby fmulders » November 27th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Brett wrote:Sorry, this is not right. Each fibre of carpet gets "beaten" just as much with each brush - the only difference is that you don't have a whole line getting beaten at the same instant (therefore making much more noise).

It is not only the noise, it is more efficient on carpet! (not for collecting hair but for the dust between the vibers)
I tested with the same Neato.
1st run: spiral brush, empty bin.
2nd run: spiral brush, look at bin not much collected
3rd run: Beater brush, look at bin,...whooo again a lot of dust was beaten from the carpet.

My experience is that on my type of carpet it really makes a difference.
fmulders
Robot Groupie

Postby redpoint5 » November 27th, 2018, 7:14 pm

This thread could use some definitions of the various brush types. As I understand it:

1. The beater brush is the original Neato brush that had straight rubber blades.
2. The combo brush has both rubber blades and bristles that are slanted at an angle.
3. The spiral brush has rubber blades that angle and spiral around the roller.

Are there other brush types?

My experience is the original beater brush worked very well, sucked longer hair into the dustbin rather than wrapping around the brush, but was extremely loud on hard floors.

The combo is much quieter, but may not get quite as much debris, and certainly gets clogged up with hair.

I haven't tried the spiral yet, but will order one once I get my D3. I'm still using my xv-11
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics