roomba i7 cloud issues

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: roomba i7 cloud issues

Postby jdong » November 29th, 2018, 11:13 pm

ps0001 wrote:Any new features with it? I'm still on 1.2.7.

Not that I’ve noticed yet!
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » November 30th, 2018, 1:27 am

Never mind, it turns out I have 1.5.4 too. The app was giving me a hard time about updating to 1.4.0 yesterday, but I upgraded it [the app] today, and now it's reporting that the Roomba has 1.5.4.

It looks like they tweaked some of the aesthetics, but I haven't noticed any new features either.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby skagitstan » December 23rd, 2018, 2:23 pm

Hi folks,
A noobie to this site, but I also had a cloud connection problem on my i7+, which I bought from iRobot, and arrived this past Thurs 20 Dec.
Note that I said had. I managed to get a connection going. Figured I might talk about it here.
The TL;DR:
Out of the box, the unit could not connect to the cloud, and had firmware 1.0.8. I installed the latest Android app on a tablet.
Customer support ran me through all the elementary stuff, which I had already done.
So I continued troubleshooting on my own.

I set up a phone as a hotspot, linked the i7 and tablet to the hotspot. The i7 now found the cloud, and allowed me to install the latest firmware update (1.5.4).
The i7 now connected to the cloud just fine via the hotspot. But when I reverted back to my router (Netgear R7000) the i7 could no longer find the cloud.
After a bunch of rummaging around, I found that the i7 needed a lower router MTU value than its default 1500. Apparently it is set to something lower (PPPoE maybe) and can't handled longer packets. I dropped the value down to 1450 and immediately got cloud connectivity.

So this may be a fix for some other folks. I'll ping experiment raising the rate until I get a good max value.

Of course, I have no idea why iRobot is shipping units with the 1.0.8 firmware all the way into Dec. Or don't seem to have an idea of the various ways to correct cloud issues.
skagitstan

Postby mattshup » December 24th, 2018, 11:23 am

Hi folks,
A noobie to this site, but I also had a cloud connection problem on my i7+, which I bought from iRobot, and arrived this past Thurs 20 Dec.
Note that I said had. I managed to get a connection going. Figured I might talk about it here.
The TL;DR:
Out of the box, the unit could not connect to the cloud, and had firmware 1.0.8. I installed the latest Android app on a tablet.
Customer support ran me through all the elementary stuff, which I had already done.

I set up a phone as a hotspot, linked the i7 and tablet to the hotspot. The i7 now found the cloud, and allowed me to install the latest firmware update (1.5.4).
The i7 now connected to the cloud just fine via the hotspot. But when I reverted back to my router (Netgear R7000) the i7 could no longer find the cloud.
After a bunch of rummaging around, I found that the i7 needed a lower router MTU value than its default 1500. Apparently it is set to something lower (PPPoE maybe) and can't handled longer packets. I dropped the value down to 1450 and immediately got cloud connectivity.

So this may be a fix for some other folks. I'll ping experiment raising the rate until I get a good max value.

Of course, I have no idea why iRobot is shipping units with the 1.0.8 firmware all the way into Dec. Or don't seem to have an idea of the various ways to correct cloud issues.

I’m having literally the exact same issues as you. Had to update from 1.0.8 to 1.5.4 through my iPad hotspot and has cloud connectivity just fine. Once I try to revert back to my WiFi router (Linksys WRT32X) it loses all cloud connectivity and becomes a dumb Roomba again. I came across your post last night and even tried lowering the MTU value but it didn’t fix anything for me. Anybody else have any suggestions? I have a ticket into Roomba Customer Support but the guy didn’t know much and just forwarded me to the app designers which is a few days away yet. :cry:
mattshup

Postby skagitstan » December 24th, 2018, 12:18 pm

mattshup wrote:
Hi folks,
The TL;DR:

I’m having literally the exact same issues as you. Had to update from 1.0.8 to 1.5.4 through my iPad hotspot and has cloud connectivity just fine. Once I try to revert back to my WiFi router (Linksys WRT32X) it loses all cloud connectivity and becomes a dumb Roomba again. I came across your post last night and even tried lowering the MTU value but it didn’t fix anything for me. Anybody else have any suggestions? I have a ticket into Roomba Customer Support but the guy didn’t know much and just forwarded me to the app designers which is a few days away yet. :cry:

Silly question:
Did you reboot the i7 and force close/restart the app?
I know I did that, on the assumption that the i7 might not recognize that the MTU was lowered.
skagitstan

Postby mattshup » December 24th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Silly question:
Did you reboot the i7 and force close/restart the app?
I know I did that, on the assumption that the i7 might not recognize that the MTU was lowered.

Yes, also did that. Several times just because I was frustrated. :roll:

On another note, Roomba Customer Support called me back this morning wanting a few more screenshots of my iRobot app cloud connectivity errors. So maybe we are getting somewhere....
mattshup

Postby rjp-2054 » December 28th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I am also having the exact same issue with my i7. I did a packet capture at my firewall/router and I can see my router sending an icmp reply to the roomba stating 'destination unreachable' due to fragmentation needed. It stated MTU of next hop is 1492 and the length of the packet being sent is 1514 with the "do not fragment' option being sent. This needs to be fixed from the i7 side... what are they doing to help?
rjp-2054

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat