i7 Partial Cleaning Runs

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

i7 Partial Cleaning Runs

Postby ed@tenholder.net » January 4th, 2019, 10:52 am

Just bought an i7, first robot vacuum, and I am very impressed. I have a large single floor home, and it takes more than 4 hours to run a mapping run. I have not found a way to break this up into smaller chunks, as I want to observe how/what it is mapping, and 4 hours is a long time to follow this thing around the house. If I pause it, it says it will cancel run if I don't restart it after xx minutes.

I'd like to be able to start a mapping run, let it run for an hour or so, then send it back to home to recharge, then continue the mapping the next day.

Am I missing something?

Same goes for large cleaning runs.
ed@tenholder.net

Re: i7 Partial Cleaning Runs

Postby rotorwash » January 4th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Yes you are missing something....just let it map your house. when its done it will show you where it went on the app.
Don't need to follow it. Mine took two runs and our ranch house was complete. After its mapped you can split the house up to shorten vacuum times plus after it learns your floor plan the vacuum times will be quicker trust me
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby RTC » January 4th, 2019, 8:51 pm

ed@tenholder.net wrote:I'd like to be able to start a mapping run, let it run for an hour or so, then send it back to home to recharge, then continue the mapping the next day.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you don't need to send it back to recharge. These machines go home automatically when they sense the battery is low then when recharged return to the place they left off automatically and resume from there.

They need no attention or supervision, unless they encounter a problem and get stuck (e.g. my 980 got impaied on broken springs under the sofa a couple time and jammed a wheel when it "inhaled" more than 10 feet of thread from a dropped spool once. These did require my attention to correct and resume)
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ed@tenholder.net » January 5th, 2019, 8:59 am

I have several places where it does get stuck (wires under bed, etc) and I'd like to keep my eye on it while it is mapping. So, from your answers, I assume I am NOT missing anything -- there is no way to pause a cleaning or learning run for more than a few minutes without it restarting?
ed@tenholder.net

Postby RTC » January 5th, 2019, 10:56 am

If I make a change in furniture placement or blocked areas I usually will watch or stay around checking on my 980's progress periodically. If it happens to report an error while I am not looking I can find and assist it rapidly and if necessary rearrange the things causing the problem.

However after that I usually start a cleaning cycle before I have to leave to do things and let it run unattended. Usually when I get back home it has finished and is back in the Home Base. But should it not be there and is not still cleaning someplace, it then becomes a search for where it got stuck - assist it and resume the cycle from a place near where it was stuck. The first time that happened was the time the sofa had impaled it to the floor with a broken spring, I currently have it blocked with a piece of wood from going under the sofa until I can buy a new sofa!

The longest the 980 ever took was the first time I ran it and was between 3 to 4 hours, including one return to home to recharge after about 2 hours. Since then it has never run much longer than an hour and has not had to return home to recharge. I believe the reason that initial cleaning took so long was it was doing detail cleaning (magnifying glass light on, going forward/backward) much of the time in many areas to remove deep dirt, which it rarely does anymore.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat