Unable to detect Wifi Signal from D3 or D4

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Unable to detect Wifi Signal from D3 or D4

Postby tranman » March 22nd, 2019, 10:21 pm

Ok, I'm at my wits end after spending 3 months trying to connect to 2 x D3 and a D4. Neither of my iPhone or Android phone can detect the robot in the APP or via wifi network scan. The first one I purchased briefly showed a "neato-xxxxxxxx" SSID (where x is the mac) on my wifi analyzer but it was weak and very brief. Neato customer support exchange it with another D3. The 2nd D3 wouldn't charge so they send me a 3rd D3. The 3rd D3 had the same issue, no wifi signal. They then replaced it with a D4 and still I can't detect a signal. I've gone through several resets and pairing without any luck on each unit. My understanding is that once the robot is in pairing mode (right bumper and power button method), it should act as an AP and broadcast a SSID startring with "neato-" and ending with the last part of the serial number (the MAC address). On the last two Neato, I can't detect this signal. I tried an iPhone, Android, and 2 laptops. I would say it is my wifi but I don't even get to that point to try connecting to my WiFi. It almost seems like the Wifi chip is not enabled on the Neato robots or antenna is broken. But even with a bad antenna, I should be able to detect something since it's only inches away.

Any clue before I return this piece of junk?

NOTE: I have a networking background and have yet to seen this kind of problem on the several hundreds of AP I've installed or managed. I also have 3 older Neato but are not wifi capable. I tried using the Neato Control software but I don't see any information for the Wifi subsystem.
tranman

Re: Unable to detect Wifi Signal from D3 or D4

Postby JEfromCanada » March 23rd, 2019, 1:51 am

It's hard to believe all the robots you have received are having WiFi issues. You are INCORRECT that your robot broadcasts its own SSID. Your Neato connects to your HOME WiFi network by recording the SSID and password of your HOME router. It then becomes a node on your network. However, before you connect the Neato to your home network, you need to download and configure the phone app.

Follow the steps in this document: https://support.neatorobotics.com/hc/en ... -to-Wi-Fi-
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby septer012 » March 27th, 2019, 4:01 am

JEfromCanada wrote:You are INCORRECT that your robot broadcasts its own SSID.
You are incorrect, it definitely broadcast its own SSID, in the format NEATO-####### during pairing, setup.
septer012

Postby JEfromCanada » March 27th, 2019, 4:46 am

Sorry, I thought the OP was having difficulty connecting to the HOME NETWORK. After connecting to the network, then, YES, the bot broadcasts an SSID during the pairing procedure to the mobile device.

My bad.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Messy-o » March 30th, 2019, 3:08 am

I have exactly the same issue with two neato D5s that I recently bought. One would not generate a WiFi access point like yours, and the other one looks like it’s fried after the 4.40 update - it won’t even play the warning chime when I take out the dust bin.

I also have a D3, which I’ve used for a few months now without problems, but getting two lemons out of three is never fun

tranman wrote:Ok, I'm at my wits end after spending 3 months trying to connect to 2 x D3 and a D4. Neither of my iPhone or Android phone can detect the robot in the APP or via wifi network scan. The first one I purchased briefly showed a "neato-xxxxxxxx" SSID (where x is the mac) on my wifi analyzer but it was weak and very brief. Neato customer support exchange it with another D3. The 2nd D3 wouldn't charge so they send me a 3rd D3. The 3rd D3 had the same issue, no wifi signal. They then replaced it with a D4 and still I can't detect a signal. I've gone through several resets and pairing without any luck on each unit. My understanding is that once the robot is in pairing mode (right bumper and power button method), it should act as an AP and broadcast a SSID startring with "neato-" and ending with the last part of the serial number (the MAC address). On the last two Neato, I can't detect this signal. I tried an iPhone, Android, and 2 laptops. I would say it is my wifi but I don't even get to that point to try connecting to my WiFi. It almost seems like the Wifi chip is not enabled on the Neato robots or antenna is broken. But even with a bad antenna, I should be able to detect something since it's only inches away.

Any clue before I return this piece of junk?

NOTE: I have a networking background and have yet to seen this kind of problem on the several hundreds of AP I've installed or managed. I also have 3 older Neato but are not wifi capable. I tried using the Neato Control software but I don't see any information for the Wifi subsystem.
Messy-o

Return to Neato Robotics