New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

Postby Botty » May 29th, 2019, 2:44 am

Botty
Robot Addict

Re: New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

Postby babakonda » May 29th, 2019, 3:40 am

If only the new Braava Jet m6 introduced a way to clean the pads while on charging base... (similar to upcoming Narwal bot). I don’t see a point moppong the whole place with a single mop; even with Braava and Braava Jet I change the pads during its run.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » May 29th, 2019, 3:52 am

for the current prices i hope the S9 can run in the dark and has no-go lines in the app.
and considering the price the performance for that braava had better be good as well.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » May 29th, 2019, 4:00 am

I doubt about the no-go lines - it can be bought already on iRobot USA website. One dual-mode virtual wall is included in the package. Also, no mention of any new mapping technique.

TBH I expected more than just using Neato’s shape after years of claiming round is better.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » May 29th, 2019, 4:13 am

hardware no-go is absurd at that price point when you can get £300 neatos that have it.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » May 29th, 2019, 7:30 am

I think I'll stick with my $36 used Roomba and $45 used Braava. Cost less than the sales tax on these new toys. :roll:
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » May 29th, 2019, 10:48 am

babakonda wrote:I doubt about the no-go lines - it can be bought already on iRobot USA website. One dual-mode virtual wall is included in the package. Also, no mention of any new mapping technique.

Weird, they only list the virtual wall as included with the s9, not the s9+. I wonder what that's about. I'm fairly confident that both the i7 and s9 have the hardware to support no-go zones.

babakonda wrote:TBH I expected more than just using Neato’s shape after years of claiming round is better.

Yeah, I agree. I wonder what their strategy is, because it seems like they're just making more and more expensive robots. Spending over $1,000 on one is almost unfathomable to me; I can't imagine I'm the only one.

And it's definitely weird that they're so blatantly copying Neato's design. I admit that I like the idea of having the brush at the very front of the robot--hopefully the caster's axle won't get wrapped in long hair/pet fur so easily now--but it seems kind of hypocritical considering iRobot just sued a number of companies for "copying" their round design.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » May 29th, 2019, 10:51 am

I don't know if this just happened since the s9's release, but I noticed the Looj and Mirra are no longer for sale directly from iRobot. They have just three categories of robots on their website now: vacuums, mops, and lawn mowers. Is iRobot walking away from gutter and pool cleaning robots?
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby jstimson » May 29th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Sorta wish we would get an updated Scooba. Something with scrubbers and vacuum action instead of a roaming swiffer.
jstimson

Postby rotorwash » May 29th, 2019, 12:26 pm

I'm curious if this will be as loud as the i7. I hope it actually does a better job with hair and debris. I am still rocking the 980 after trying the i7 and hating it. My issue was that the i7 never seemed to have a forceful suction compared to the 980. The 980 seemed way stronger and I worked with tech support with no solution.
I might try this and run it hard for 30 days. The price I am sure is a direct result of the trade issues and tariffs imposed on the parts they use.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » May 29th, 2019, 12:32 pm

The 980 has 10x suction vs 5x suction.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » May 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

ps0001 wrote:I wonder what their strategy is, because it seems like they're just making more and more expensive robots. Spending over $1,000 on one is almost unfathomable to me; I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Yeah. I realize robotics is fascinating, but many people just want a vacuum cleaner that saves effort without "breaking the bank".
I can't see these newest very complex models holding up in the long run compared to the older more simple models and repair could be expensive.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » May 29th, 2019, 1:04 pm

jstimson wrote:Sorta wish we would get an updated Scooba. Something with scrubbers and vacuum action instead of a roaming swiffer.

Just came out - https://youtu.be/eQYyc_IcJD8
I’ve ordered one and it should be here in the next few days. Good overall reviews from what I’ve seen, and much longer run times than the scoobas. I’ll test it and report back.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » May 29th, 2019, 1:41 pm

leonicholson wrote:
ps0001 wrote:I wonder what their strategy is, because it seems like they're just making more and more expensive robots. Spending over $1,000 on one is almost unfathomable to me; I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Yeah. I realize robotics is fascinating, but many people just want a vacuum cleaner that saves effort without "breaking the bank".

At least they don't cost what Book Scanners cost, roughly $12,000 to $27,000 for ones that actually have a camera that takes lossless TIFF. Don't waste your time on the <$600 pieces of garbage that Amazon and others sell in an attempt to save money, all they have is a lossy JPG camera (and they don't tell you this until you open the box and read the manual, I call that deceptive).

One gets what one pays for in most cases.....

At least iRobot offers financing for their products if you can't afford to pay upfront. I need to do some research on how to get financing on the Book Scanner, as the companies that sell them don't offer it directly.

Also, decide. what you NEED before buying - maybe a $75 canister is all your home really needs and make it one of the kids chores to vacuum! The kids will always be smarter than a "robot" (and usually cheaper, if you already have them).
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » May 29th, 2019, 4:33 pm

I'm not a fan of the new D design. It's kinda ugly. We tried a D7 a few months back and returned it because it couldn't turn itself around properly. On several occasions we watched the rear end climb up the wall as it tried to make a 90 degree turn in a corner. Hopefully iRobots software is smarter than that. The I7 should go on sale later this year, might have to look at the option.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby rotorwash » May 30th, 2019, 10:11 am

drunkpenguin wrote:I'm not a fan of the new D design. It's kinda ugly. We tried a D7 a few months back and returned it because it couldn't turn itself around properly. On several occasions we watched the rear end climb up the wall as it tried to make a 90 degree turn in a corner. Hopefully iRobots software is smarter than that. The I7 should go on sale later this year, might have to look at the option.

Thats a good point about the rear climbing up. I ordered one yesterday no deals for loyal customer either. I will give it a full run down when I get it. It will need to handle long dog hair or it gets the boot back to iRobot like the i7 did.
I talked to the sales guy and a couple of things they changed like exhaust is not internalized like the i7 (what a dumb idea).
Also it has dual modes like the 980. Finally the dust bin is .5liters which people have been asking for a larger bin for years.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » May 30th, 2019, 11:52 am

Does this have a brush or extractor?
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » May 30th, 2019, 12:54 pm

leonicholson wrote:Does this have a brush or extractor?

It looks like it uses the same extractors as the i7.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby fufu » May 30th, 2019, 1:26 pm

rotorwash wrote:
drunkpenguin wrote:I'm not a fan of the new D design. It's kinda ugly. We tried a D7 a few months back and returned it because it couldn't turn itself around properly. On several occasions we watched the rear end climb up the wall as it tried to make a 90 degree turn in a corner. Hopefully iRobots software is smarter than that. The I7 should go on sale later this year, might have to look at the option.

Thats a good point about the rear climbing up. I ordered one yesterday no deals for loyal customer either. I will give it a full run down when I get it. It will need to handle long dog hair or it gets the boot back to iRobot like the i7 did.
I talked to the sales guy and a couple of things they changed like exhaust is not internalized like the i7 (what a dumb idea).
Also it has dual modes like the 980. Finally the dust bin is .5liters which people have been asking for a larger bin for years.
Would be great if you could give us some insights afterwards. I always love to see some video which shows the robot behaviour and wasn't produced by the marketing department. Would be great if you could do that. Maybe how the S9 interacts with obsticles. iRobot claims that the S9 has a 3D sensor which helps it avoiding to crush into furniture.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk
fufu
Robot Groupie

Postby fufu » May 30th, 2019, 1:27 pm

ps0001 wrote:
leonicholson wrote:Does this have a brush or extractor?

It looks like it uses the same extractors as the i7.
The same but 30% longer

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk
fufu
Robot Groupie

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat