New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: New Roomba S9+ & Braava M6

Postby ps0001 » June 3rd, 2019, 8:27 pm

Botty wrote:Yeah the price in the uk is nuts. £2200 for the s9+ and m6. The mrs would murder me in my sleep.
It’s just not justifiable imo, not when I got a brand new D7 from amazon on Black Friday for £399 and the s9 STILL doesn’t have no-go lines.

I'm not in the UK, but I think the price in USD is nuts too. It seemed like the prices for the 980 and i7 were already a stretch for the average middle-class consumer. I, for one, can't justify paying more than $1,000 for a robot that still lacks some basic features available from competitors at a fraction of the cost.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 4th, 2019, 4:21 am

Botty wrote:Yeah the price in the uk is nuts. £2200 for the s9+ and m6. The mrs would murder me in my sleep.
It’s just not justifiable imo, not when I got a brand new D7 from amazon on Black Friday for £399 and the s9 STILL doesn’t have no-go lines.

Where are you getting the UK prices from? I've only been able to find Euro pricing for the 12th July EMEA launch. Are you estimating based on those or is there an official UK price listed somewhere?

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » June 4th, 2019, 4:25 am

Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 4th, 2019, 5:11 am

Many thanks Botty.

The first place I visited was the iRobot UK site but as soon as I saw that the main homepage splash was all about "The all new Roomba® i7+" I'd just assumed they hadn't caught up with the s9+ and went no further. I obviously should have been more persistent and dug deeper. Over the years I've got too accustomed to the UK site being hopelessly behind the US but that seems to be changing now which is good. I even remember in the way distant past when iRobot actively blocked international access to the US Roomba site and forcibly redirected UK accesses to the UK site making it very difficult to see info on latest releases.

I've actually been caught out quite badly by this. iRobot have completely blind-sided me. After 10 years with my original Roomba 560s I've been waiting and waiting for a big enough product update to persuade me to upgrade. The s7+ was it so I bought one about 2 months ago. My s7+ is now past its return window but also, because of some work in my flat and clutter needing tidying up, it's sitting on its base station but has never even done a single revolution on any of its motors.

I really didn't expect another big upgrade so close after the s7+. After 10 years of using the 560 I'm not sure I want my once-a-decade upgrade to be to the second-best model in the range so I'm seriously considering selling on my unused s7+ and getting an s9+. If I get the same use from an s9+ as I've had from my 560s (I actually have 2) then when looking at a decade of use it makes it easier to justify paying a huge one-off price (at least for me).

I'm going to follow the s9 review thread quite closely to check if the s9+ really does look to be shaping up as the best Roomba you can get and if it does then I'm going to grit my teeth and trade up.

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » June 4th, 2019, 5:19 am

yeah it's strange they're not promoting it on the homepage.

there's actually quite a lot of the irobot sites that are hidden from view but still public. I find googling "thing-youre-looking-for" site:irobot.co.uk often turns up interesting stuff, for example this - https://shop.irobot.co.uk/noname/roomba ... lang=en_GB - which doesn't seem to be visible from the 800 series accessories page in their store (https://shop.irobot.co.uk/uk/accessorie ... lang=en_GB)

unusually, these odd bits and pieces are almost always cheaper than buying from 3rd parties
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 4th, 2019, 5:30 am

Botty wrote:
gregj wrote:It looks like the base still uses the bags. How on earth do they think this is ok in this day and age? I know these are americans, so they don't give a flying fart about planet - but most of the civilised world does.

yeah that is a real shame. would be great to have a washable, reusable bag. guess that's a revenue trickle they don't want to let go.

I just did some more looking at this. From looking at the price on the iRobot UK site I'm not sure I'd use the word "trickle" about the revenue from the bags - £21.95 for a pack of 3! (https://shop.irobot.co.uk/uk/dirt-dispo ... lang=en_GB).

However, following on from my previous musings it looks as if the third-party market is already up and running for these. There are lots of listings on eBay for copies from China, e.g. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173918174412) at £2.99 a bag. The iRobot site simply lists a single item "Dirt Disposal Bag 3 Pack for Series e & i" so I'm assuming the s9+ and s7+ use the same bags. Once I get whatever I settle on (s7+ or s9+) into service I'll probably order 2 or 3 from china to check they aren't junk and don't fall apart and then order a year's worth at a time. I'm certainly loathe to pay iRobot prices for them if I don't really have to.

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » June 5th, 2019, 3:59 am

semi-related to this, how often do people need to clean their i7 / s9? I get the convenience of not having to empty the bag, but you surely can't leave the robot with hair collecting in the rollers / wheels etc for 2 or 3 months at a time?

When I clean up my neato i do the bin / roller / wheels etc all at the same time. It all still needs to be done so a self-emptying bin wouldn't mitigate much hassle.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » June 5th, 2019, 10:04 am

Botty wrote:semi-related to this, how often do people need to clean their i7 / s9? I get the convenience of not having to empty the bag, but you surely can't leave the robot with hair collecting in the rollers / wheels etc for 2 or 3 months at a time?

When I clean up my neato i do the bin / roller / wheels etc all at the same time. It all still needs to be done so a self-emptying bin wouldn't mitigate much hassle.

I've wondered the same thing. We use a 665 and 980 daily and empty/clean every 2-3 days with a shop vac.
This also indicates how well the things are operating.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » June 5th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Julian, you should call your country’s iRobot and ask if they can do anything if you wish to upgrade from i7 to s9, given the robot is unused. ;) just try that before selling it yourself.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby donttrustahornygoat » June 5th, 2019, 7:23 pm

leonicholson wrote:
Botty wrote:semi-related to this, how often do people need to clean their i7 / s9? I get the convenience of not having to empty the bag, but you surely can't leave the robot with hair collecting in the rollers / wheels etc for 2 or 3 months at a time?

I've wondered the same thing. We use a 665 and 980 daily and empty/clean every 2-3 days with a shop vac.
This also indicates how well the things are operating.

Depends on how much long hair you have in your house. My wife sheds like a dog, so I remove the hair every 2-3 weeks. For my upstairs roomba, I only need to do it every couple of months.

I actually enjoy removing the hair because you're not dealing with any dust and it's a very quick and easy process. Doing it weekly would be no issue for me.

All in all, couldn't be happier with the Clean Base and not having to empty the bin. My S9s should be in shortly. Only concern I have is their brute strength. Though, that should be addressed through firmware if it turns out to be a big problem.

If you want the S9 without the base, the bin emptying process looks to be a big improvement.
donttrustahornygoat

Postby leonicholson » June 5th, 2019, 9:53 pm

donttrustahornygoat wrote:My wife sheds like a dog, so I remove the hair every 2-3 weeks. For my upstairs roomba, I only need to do it every couple of months.

My wife wears her hair short and, unfortunately, I've already shed most of mine. :lol:
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby donttrustahornygoat » June 8th, 2019, 12:09 am

Vacuum Wars review is up. Highest suction and performance they've measured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYr-q5rNLM
donttrustahornygoat

Postby Botty » June 24th, 2019, 9:38 am

m6 navigation looks ok, but overall i'm not sure it really justifies the price difference over the 240.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby leonicholson » June 24th, 2019, 10:06 am

Botty wrote:m6 navigation looks ok, but overall i'm not sure it really justifies the price difference over the 240.

I think you have to compare the M6 more to the 380t, which utilizes navigation cubes to map individual rooms.
(Also, the 380t uses reusable cloths and a reservoir pad that can contain you own cleaning solution).
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » June 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

leonicholson wrote:
Botty wrote:m6 navigation looks ok, but overall i'm not sure it really justifies the price difference over the 240.

I think you have to compare the M6 more to the 380t, which utilizes navigation cubes to map individual rooms.
(Also, the 380t uses reusable cloths and a reservoir pad that can contain you own cleaning solution).

sorry, what i meant was that i think the 240 is a better machine than the 380, and the m6 doesn't look that much better than the 240.

you can get reusable pads for the 240 btw
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Kz1s » July 11th, 2019, 10:27 am

ertooso wrote:I doubt about the no-go lines - it can be bought already on iRobot USA website. One dual-mode virtual wall is included in the package. Also, no mention of any new mapping technique.

I’m not sure in what package there is a virtual wall included. There was none with my s9+ nor any with my braava m6. Also when I go to the iRobot website and check under what’s in the box of each bot it does not list any wall barriers. I actually had to use my own from previous ones I’ve had.
Kz1s

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat