S9 review

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: S9 review

Postby Tripmeister » June 8th, 2019, 12:22 pm

VACInc wrote:
Tripmeister wrote:I've submitted this to Irobot's customer support -- On the bottom of the S9+ where the extractor plastic is closest to touching the floor, there is a strip of felt on one side and a strip of rubber on the other. I'm really not sure why they didn't put felt on both sides, as this strip of rubber will occasionally touch the floor and make that weird rubber on floor noise as the extractor skips a little. My 980 would do this when the treads on the wheels were really low and needed replacement, but not on brand new tires. The strip of rubber already has some wear on it due to this behavior, and I'm thinking that after a few weeks it'll wear enough rubber off that it will no longer make this noise. However, Irobot has escalated it to engineering after I sent a video of it happening, so we'll see. I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem so maybe it's just a defect that needs a part replaced.

I have not noticed this...I'll have to keep an eye out for it on my hardwood and tile floors.

Uploaded the video that I sent to Irobot with it occuring:
https://youtu.be/oFXtiT0stJI
Tripmeister

Postby glnc222 » June 8th, 2019, 5:04 pm

A problem with many vacuum robots is failure of the bumper to engage some low objects which should not be climbed, but get climbed anyway, trapping the robots. Typical is the runner legs on cantilever scandinavian chairs such as Ikea's, where they climb and get stuck because the bottom edge of the bumper is too high. Another case is the flared bases of some bar stool pedestals. Also some folding tables. Similar to certain threshold problems, things about an inch high. In some cases, climbing on them triggers the drop sensors for too high elevation.
Any reports on the S9 bumper in such cases would be of interest.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby fufu » June 8th, 2019, 5:41 pm

How are you satisfied with navigation and obsticles avoidence? A video of how the S9 behaves in normal homes would be really appriciated. (can't wait for the release in Europe).

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk
fufu
Robot Groupie

Postby Tripmeister » June 8th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Tripmeister wrote:As I mentioned above about the dog bed, the s9+ is a bit more aggressive than the 980 -- I haven't seen any scuffs/marks yet but the s9+ seems to ram walls/furniture harder than the 980 did. The 980 would slow down 1 second before hitting a wall, the s9+ seems to be like your typical american -- waits until the last possible moment before slamming on the brakes. The s9+ DOES slow down before hitting the wall, it's just 0.1 seconds before impact.

As an update, the S9+ has toned down the aggressiveness after a few runs -- I guess initially it is more aggressive in order to be sure that an object is a wall vs a small object that will not always be there. It hasn't pushed the dog bed around in the last 2 runs.
Tripmeister

Postby rotorwash » June 10th, 2019, 8:56 am

Tripmeister wrote:
As an update, the S9+ has toned down the aggressiveness after a few runs -- I guess initially it is more aggressive in order to be sure that an object is a wall vs a small object that will not always be there. It hasn't pushed the dog bed around in the last 2 runs.

I have to agree. I have notice that after it has run a few times cleaning a room it will stop short of the walls instead of banging into them.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby Botty » June 10th, 2019, 10:00 am

out of interest, does the side-brush still need a screwdriver to change it, or have they graduated to a clip on/off model yet?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » June 10th, 2019, 10:19 am

Yes,, the S9 still has a screw mounted side brush.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Mikla » June 10th, 2019, 12:36 pm

I have the s9+ after upgrading from the i7+. Much more powerful and the pickup rollers are wider. Does a better job of getting over taller carpet edges. As mentioned, it is pretty aggressive in new areas as it learns. But even after learning it tends to bang some furniture pretty good.

I think the software was based on the round Roombas (e.g., i7) and all the kinks of not been worked out to the squared off front to the s9. You can watch it rotate back and forth whacking furniture as it tries to turn and cannot figure out why it can't. We have some decently expensive furniture, but the whacking was no where near hard enough to damage the furniture so I would not be worried about that.

The battery life appears to be even better than the i7 even though the s9 has more power. It does throttle the power based on carpet vs hard floor and if it deems the floor needs extra cleaning.

We have a pretty good sized house (3200 ft^2) with some real nooks and cranny's but the robot has no problem navigating through even the complex mess of chairs and table legs, mixed with carpet thickness differences.

It does get stuck on the sliding glass door ledge almost every time as it does not seem to sense the fall off to the sliding door track (it is about 1/2" below the tile). There is about a 2" distance from the edge to the face of the door where it falls in and gets stuck.

Overall... pretty impressive robot vacuum and should only get better with updates.
Mikla

Postby Botty » June 11th, 2019, 7:14 pm

s9 / i7 comparison > https://youtu.be/uZHwAu2rw48
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Foster6565 » June 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Just watched the comparison review. So basically the i7 might be able to compete on hard floors with the s9 but it is limited by the fact you cant use its full suction? A bit frustrating considering what I paid for the i7+
Foster6565

Postby bytemaster0 » June 12th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Just to chime in on some observations that others have reported:
1. Training time is MUCH slower than i7+. Most of this is due to slow speeds when rounding corners and following walls, and the fact that it repeatedly bonks into said corners to make sure they're really there. However, I do think it'll have a more accurate map. So far, it seems to take 2.5 hours vs about 1.5 for the i7+ in our layout - to be fair, where the i7+ now lives upstairs, it's a somewhat smaller floorplan due to a two-story "great room" layout.
2. Power is fantastic. It's loud, but when set to "Custom: Auto" mode, it only amps up the suction power on carpets, which dampen much of the sound.
3. Finally, a Roomba that won't flick debris around on hardwood floors or hard surfaces - especially into areas where it hasn't cleaned! It's a welcome update.
4. The side brush does destroy itself in just one pass. However, I've found that on hard surfaces, it's still somewhat usable, even in that case. If the brush were harder, we'd have said flicking problem again.
5. Corner cleaning is far superior.
6. Like the i7+, brushes are supper grippy and get bogged down during the first two runs or so. As they wear, it should work just fine.
7. Speaker is quieter than on the i7+.

I'm still running training passes, but it seems that two of them will do the trick for each floor. May post more observations as they happen, particularly if they're different from what anyone else has posted.
bytemaster0

Postby Julian » June 12th, 2019, 7:57 pm

How does the s9 handle hinged doors? With my 10 year old 560s I use rubber door wedges to keep the doors open otherwise when my Roombas encounter a door and try to “edge crawl” it as if it were a wall then without the doors wedges in place the Roomba tends to gradually push the door shut and get itself trapped inside the room. With all this talk of the s9 being quite aggressive with pushing things on its training runs do you folks have to wedge doors open or is the software smart enough to have a concept of a hinged door and know not to accidentally push it closed?
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby bytemaster0 » June 13th, 2019, 12:13 am

Julian wrote:How does the s9 handle hinged doors?

It seems to respect door wedges if they are reasonably tight between the floor and the door. However, I have several hinged doors without stops and they don't seem to be a problem. The initial training runs hit them a bit harder, but the bot can work with them without any issues.
bytemaster0

Postby Botty » June 13th, 2019, 5:17 am

All of my roombas always knock doors closed and trap themselves, but my neatos have never once done it. Wonder how neato mastered that.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Julian » June 13th, 2019, 6:27 am

Botty wrote:All of my roombas always knock doors closed and trap themselves, but my neatos have never once done it. Wonder how neato mastered that.

I can see how it could be done if the software is given the concept of a door. Presumably it can know about doorways so potentially also understand a hinged door that will move it it pushes it too hard. I can see why my random-cleaning-pattern 560s would have no chance but I did read somewhere that one of the reasons the i7+ is so expensive, and hence presumably the s9+ as well, is that they have some pretty serious processing power in them to a level beyond what the current firmware requires so maybe there is the prospect that they can get considerably smarter with time although from bytemaster0's report it sounds as if the s9 might be there already.

I never close my doors anyway so I don't use the big 10cm long or whatever door wedges stuck under the outer (furthest from the hinge) corner of the door, I use much smaller 4-ish cm long little wedges that I leave permanently in the corners of my doors directly under the hinges, placed between that lower inside corner of the door and the door frame. That way the Roomba does still wobble the doors around a bit when it edge-crawls or nudges a door (which is good because it means there isn't a dead zone under the door itself that doesn't get cleaned) but if the Roomba goes too far in trying to push a door completely closed the little wedge pushes back and stops the door closing completely.

- Julian
Julian
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » June 13th, 2019, 8:49 am

I have never had my roomba close a door but I have had it move the door a few inches causing it to spend more time around the door.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby tre » June 14th, 2019, 3:36 am

Julian wrote:
Botty wrote:...I did read somewhere that one of the reasons the i7+ is so expensive, and hence presumably the s9+ as well, is that they have some pretty serious processing power in them to a level beyond what the current firmware requires so maybe there is the prospect that they can get considerably smarter with time although from bytemaster0's report it sounds as if the s9 might be there already.

They mention this on Vacuum Wars. But it is PR. The CPU on i7+ is a 4 x ARM Cortex A7. The same processor type is used on Roborock S5. The Roborock version costs 1$ for large quantities (AllWinner R16). Sure iRobot uses a Qualcomm APQ8009 processor instead which may be more expensive but the price is not likely to be much higher. And certainly not enough to justify the expensive price of Roombas.
tre

Postby jdong » June 14th, 2019, 11:23 am

The Cortex A7 is not a super impressive processor. That is definitely not why the robot is so expensive.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby Tripmeister » June 16th, 2019, 9:07 am

Tripmeister wrote:
VACInc wrote:
Tripmeister wrote:I've submitted this to Irobot's customer support -- On the bottom of the S9+ where the extractor plastic is closest to touching the floor, there is a strip of felt on one side and a strip of rubber on the other. I'm really not sure why they didn't put felt on both sides, as this strip of rubber will occasionally touch the floor and make that weird rubber on floor noise as the extractor skips a little. My 980 would do this when the treads on the wheels were really low and needed replacement, but not on brand new tires. The strip of rubber already has some wear on it due to this behavior, and I'm thinking that after a few weeks it'll wear enough rubber off that it will no longer make this noise. However, Irobot has escalated it to engineering after I sent a video of it happening, so we'll see. I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem so maybe it's just a defect that needs a part replaced.

I have not noticed this...I'll have to keep an eye out for it on my hardwood and tile floors.

Uploaded the video that I sent to Irobot with it occuring:
https://youtu.be/oFXtiT0stJI

Another update, this noise has gone away without any modifications to the roomba, so it might have been the extractor "brushes" being a tad too close to the ground and then wearing down a few millimeters.It might have been a combination of the extractor "brushes" making contact with the floor and maybe something unusual with how the floor is made -- ex: It's engineered wood with slight 1-2 mm variations in height to give it a more natural appearance.
Tripmeister

Postby bytemaster0 » June 17th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Tripmeister wrote:Another update, this noise has gone away without any modifications to the roomba, so it might have been the extractor "brushes" being a tad too close to the ground and then wearing down a few millimeters.It might have been a combination of the extractor "brushes" making contact with the floor and maybe something unusual with how the floor is made -- ex: It's engineered wood with slight 1-2 mm variations in height to give it a more natural appearance.

It's not so much wearing down as it is the rollers being coated with dirt that reduces the friction of the rollers. The i7+ did this, and after a week or so they'd quiet down considerably. S9+ is doing the same.
bytemaster0

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat