Why do we need a Roomba for pets?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Why do we need a Roomba for pets?

Postby Dorktastic » September 8th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Why do we need a Roomba For Pets?

I'm going to betray my ignorance here: I can't quite see why pet hair is such a challenge for Roomba.

I am imagining that you'd have to empty the dust bin constantly and the brushes would get hairy, if you had cats and dogs. But I have 2 human roommates with long hair (one to her chin, one below her shoulders) and that seems like a much bigger threat to Roomba. Hair winds around the brushes, under the side brush, into the brush bearing areas, into the wheels, etc.

Isn't long human hair a lot worse for Roomba than pet tumblefur balls? What am I missing?
Or should we have a Roomba for Long haired Humans? :D
Dorktastic
Robot Addict

Postby IndyGuy » September 8th, 2006, 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure dogs and cats shed much worse than humans. The extra shedding puts alot of extra strain on the brush motor. I'll bet burned out brush motors are the leading cause of death in Roombas.
One Roomba to Rule Them ALL,
One Scooba to do ALL the Mopping
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Lin » September 8th, 2006, 3:54 pm

I just bought my roomba in July, and specifically for my pets. I was tired of vacuuming every 2 days to keep pet hair at a minimum. Now I run my scheduler daily and my house always looks clean. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and rats.
4 cats + 2 dogs + 2 horses + 2 rats - roomba = Pet hair free house!
Lin

Postby Funkey Monkey » September 10th, 2006, 8:46 am

You have horses in your house!!!!

:shock:
Funkey Monkey

Postby Lin » September 10th, 2006, 11:39 am

Not in my house silly. But I come home covered in horse hair.
4 cats + 2 dogs + 2 horses + 2 rats - roomba = Pet hair free house!
Lin

Postby Qooop » September 10th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Since 1 of my Roombas bit the dust (propably the electrical storm, I had ordered some surge suppressors but they weren't in yet) I went ahead and ordered a Discovery Pet. My wife and I love the daily cleaning up of cat hair the Roombas do for us. The place where hiar is a problem is the narrow vacuum intake slot. When I empty the bin it is always packed full in that little slot.
Qooop

Postby IndyGuy » September 11th, 2006, 1:02 pm

I was wondering about the Rats! You have Rats for pets?
One Roomba to Rule Them ALL,
One Scooba to do ALL the Mopping
IndyGuy
Robot Addict

Roomba for Pets

Postby Darex » September 12th, 2006, 11:32 am

Well, I've only had my Discovery for 4 days, and I have two Golden Retrievers, and I've been running it daily.

Cleaning my Roomba takes a minimum of 20 minutes.

Not only do I have to do the normal stuff with the brushes and roller, but I have to pull off the bearings, unwind all the hair under the bearings, wipe the sensors, and mostly spend the bulk of the time with a knife cutting the hair wound up around the thin parts at the ends.

It's EXTREMELY tedious, and no matter how much time I spend, I can't get the hair completely out from around the front wheel.

I forecast a short lifespan for my Roomba, even with fastidious cleaning I'm doing.

It's really taking the bang out of the automated cleaning process, because I'm spending 1/3 the time cleaning out the Roomba as it takes to clean a room!

You cannot possibly imagine how insidious Golden Retriever hair is compared to ... anything.

I'm dying to know how the Roomba for Pets brushes compare/differ. If they are retro-fittable to my Discovery, then I will ABSOLUTELY rush out and buy them, if they are anything at all superior to the standard ones.
Darex

Hair around front wheel

Postby My Roomba is Rambo » September 13th, 2006, 11:55 am

I highly recommend "Nair" for the hair problem around the front wheel. You can use it to remove hair buildup by spreading some on the axel on both sides of the wheel and letting it sit for 5 minutes or so. I use a pipe cleaner to place it. It will make the hair into a soft mass that is easier to remove. Then place it as a preventitive on the clean axel before you run the Roomba each time. That way the Nair will be under the hair build up and make your next cleaning easier. I have a border collie and let me tell you he really leaves long hair around and this has really helped my Roomba recovery time.
I hope they make the castering removable front wheel so that you can retrofit it on the older Roombas. That is the ultimate answer.
This is the first I have heard about a Roomba for pets. Perhaps they should come up with one that the pet could wear?
My Roomba is Rambo
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat