How well does Roomba work on carpet?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How well does Roomba work on carpet?

Postby Roomba Girl » December 12th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a roomba for my 87 yr old mom for Christmas. However, she has carpet in the whole house except entry tile. Most is sculpted pile (but not shag). Will Roomba do the job? And if so, can you recommend a model? I was thinking a scheduler of some kind would be the easiest on her. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for your helpful input - I need it!!!

Roomba Girl
Roomba Girl

Postby Dorktastic » December 12th, 2006, 2:55 pm

All of the cleaning parts (with the exception of the "pets models", which use just slightly different brush designs) are the same.

I would recommend Roomba for low to medium pile carpet only, plus hard flooring. From personal experience, i can tell you that Roomba doesn't do well on thick, cut-pile carpeting.
Dorktastic
Robot Addict

Postby EDOH » December 12th, 2006, 2:55 pm

I have a SAGE with the scheduler feature added, and a docking station. However, they (the models) all seem to have about the same vacuuming power...the different models just come with different features; and you can always add many of those features later.

The unit works well on carpet; what you have to keep in mind is that while it may not have the suction of a vacuum cleaner, the unit will travel over and over the same floor surface many times in the hour or so that it runs, thus giving the carpet a cleaning that a brief vacuuming might not attain.

The roomba does require cleaning, though...more frequently than changing a bag on a vacuum cleaner. It can be done on a kitchen counter and is not very complex; after doing it a few times, it is easy. And the roomba is pretty light to pick up.

The roomba will likely need to be moved from room to room by hand, but you would do that with a vacuum cleaner, too.

The scheduler feature can start the roomba at a pre-programmed time, or you can start it manually with the remote and steer it to the room you wish to clean...programmed cleaning works well with an open floorplan where you can place it centrally in a room with open access to another room. The roomba is not very noisy, but you woulldn't want to watch TV with it operating in the same room.

If she is open to the idea, she'll probably like it.
EDOH

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat