New Scooba - no water

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New Scooba - no water

Postby kevitra » December 6th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I just hooked up our new Scooba 5800 (We've had a Red for two years).

It goes in circles and walks around the room like Roomba, but no water is coming out. The inside is dry and nothing is coming out of the tank.

I took a small rod and poked where Scooba pokes the black rubber valve to get water and nothing comes out. I assume with normal Scoobas water comes out when it is poked.

Any suggestions? I tried iRobot but they were already closed.

Thanks!
kevitra

Postby vic7767 » December 6th, 2006, 10:21 pm

The IRobot site has some information about your problem, try this link:

http://homesupport.irobot.com/cgi-bin/i ... 1153319315
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby kevitra » December 6th, 2006, 10:43 pm

Thanks. I found that about 15 minutes ago and tried it. Using a straw over the pump valve I cannot push water through it with my mouth. I also cannot suck any air out of it. It seems like it is completely blocked by something.
kevitra

Postby Gordon » December 7th, 2006, 1:34 pm

kevitra wrote:... Using a straw over the pump valve I cannot push water through it with my mouth...
Right, more force is required than I can provide too. Use a bulb-syringe or turkey baster (buy a new plastic-bodied type just for Scooba, and cut off the tip just enough to enlarge the tip's ID to become a slip fit over (what I call) the Solution Inlet Lance). You need enough hydraulic force to break the lip seal of one or two diaphragm valves within the pump. The membrane has enough tackiness, when dry (as it will be when you receive the bot) to basically 'glue' itself to the valve seats.
Perhaps a cross-sectional view of the pump-assembly can help explain those words. See Figure 6 in this pump discussion and focus on the edge view of the RED membrane. Notice the flow-arrows at the inlet and outlet-valves. Those are the sticky zones. In a NEW Scooba, it is very unlikely there will ba any "debris" causing a problem; more likely, its just sticky 'rubber'.
It might be good for you to read the words above and below Fig.3 at this page, and take the offered link, just below the figure. That path may help you cure the first problem you posted.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby kevitra » December 8th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Gordon wrote:
kevitra wrote:... Using a straw over the pump valve I cannot push water through it with my mouth...
Right, more force is required than I can provide too. Use a bulb-syringe or turkey baster (buy a new plastic-bodied type just for Scooba, and cut off the tip just enough to enlarge the tip's ID to become a slip fit over (what I call) the Solution Inlet Lance). You need enough hydraulic force to break the lip seal of one or two diaphragm valves within the pump. The membrane has enough tackiness, when dry (as it will be when you receive the bot) to basically 'glue' itself to the valve seats.
Perhaps a cross-sectional view of the pump-assembly can help explain those words. See Figure 6 in this pump discussion and focus on the edge view of the RED membrane. Notice the flow-arrows at the inlet and outlet-valves. Those are the sticky zones. In a NEW Scooba, it is very unlikely there will ba any "debris" causing a problem; more likely, its just sticky 'rubber'.
It might be good for you to read the words above and below Fig.3 at this page, and take the offered link, just below the figure. That path may help you cure the first problem you posted.

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed iRobot two days ago and haven't heard back from them yet. I have a syringe that I can cut the tip off of to make it fit snug. I'll try it and report back. Otherwise I will just return it next week for a new one. I'd prefer not to if it is fixable.
kevitra

same problem - no water - 2nd scooba

Postby paulina » December 8th, 2006, 7:07 pm

already returned scooba 1 due to same problem - trying my damndest to get scooba 2 to put out water - just about ready to throw in the towel on scooba. tried all the fixes, called support, nada.
paulina

Re: same problem - no water - 2nd scooba

Postby Gordon » December 9th, 2006, 3:08 am

paulina wrote:... - trying my damndest to get scooba 2 to put out water - .... tried all the fixes,...
Paulina, I grasp your frustration, but take a look at the following list of things to do/check, and tell me if you have done all:

Here are a few actions that Scooba owners may do when no solution is ejected by the robot:

1) When you first attempt to set Scooba into its cleaning mode, listen for the sound of a motor operating, just after pressing Clean. There will be no other observable action(s), just the motor's sound. That is the pump's motor. It will run for about three seconds before the robot 'decides' YES, there is solution passing through me, I will switch ON the other motors and start to work. But, if no solution is detected by a sensor in the Lance & Elbow, the pump-motor will be shut off and an error will be indicated. If you do not hear the motor running before anything else happens, there is no use proceeding and the Scooba must be returned to the seller.

2) Do a visual inspection of the three-legged portion of the Inlet-Lance. If one or more "legs" are broken, the Lance may not be stiff enough to open the solution delivery valve located in the Tank. If the Lance has been damaged, there is no use proceeding and you must return Scooba to the seller.

3) Apply a hand-pump (bulb-syringe, or turkey-baster), filled with dilute solution (or water), to the Inlet-Lance and force liquid into the Lance and through the Pump, all the way to the floor-jets. Examine the surface under Scooba to find two wet spots and a wet streak between them -- if the passageways are clear. If only one jet is ejecting, block it with a finger-tip while repeating the purging.

4) Fill the Clean Tank with properly diluted cleaner. Initially, the stopper must be left open, while holding the Tank level (in the orientation it would have if attached to the robot). In that orientation, depress the Outlet Valve (a.k.a, "Feed-Port", see list-element #6 at Figure 3) with a small rod. While the Outlet-Valve is held open, liquid should flow freely down the rod and onto your fingers. Close the stopper and repeat the outlet-flow check. If flow stops, it is safe to conclude that the Vent Valve is stuck closed. In that case, you should kiss a water filled hand-pump against the Vent-Valve Figure 4, Item #7 and force some liquid through it and into the Clean Tank (while doing that clearing, the Tank may be held in any orientation--for convenience). Wetting the lips of that valve should put it back in operation. About the only other fault that will prevent solution out-flow is a plugged filter screen which precedes the valve. The filter-mesh is visible through the clear wall of the Clean tank. If solution fails to flow out of the Tank at this time, a replacement Tank should be requested from iRobot (or the Scooba may be returned to the seller).

You have now verified that the pump-motor is operational, the Clean Tank is able to drain out solution, the Lance is strong enough to operate the Outlet Valve to make that happen, and that the fluid conduit(s) to, through, and out of the pump are clear passages all the way to the two jet orifices. You should attempt to make Scooba go to work at this point. If Scooba fails to put down solution and get to cleaning at this point, back to the seller with it!
---Gordon
See Chat-Sticky "READ FIRST" then ask a Q.
See 'mysite' for info.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby Jeremy » December 9th, 2006, 10:00 am

I had the same problem with mine, tried a pen, turkey baster... nothing worked. Then I came across instructions on how to do the selt test on the scooba, left it run for a while on the water jet test and it wasn't too long and I had water, it has worked flawlessly ever since
Jeremy

Postby kevitra » December 15th, 2006, 12:27 am

Using a cut off syringe fixed my Scooba. He is running right now.

Thanks for the help. It looks like it is cleaning great. My wife will be happy.

If you have one that doesn't work quite right, don't give up.
kevitra

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat