Can you use scooba on laminate floors?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Can you use scooba on laminate floors?

Postby Jan » September 28th, 2006, 9:53 pm

I read that scooba can be used on most hard floors - does this include wood laminate?
Jan

Postby Mooba » September 29th, 2006, 7:43 am

The iRobot Scooba owner's manual states

Page 4 - Scooba is not recommended for use on unfinished or unsealed wood, or pre-laminated flooring, which can easily be damaged by wet cleaning methods.
Page 14 - CAUTION: DO NOT USE SCOOBA ON THESE SURFACES:
* Carpet or rugs
* Unsealed hardwood or stone
* Laminate flooring (such as Pergo)

So I guess the short answer is no it is not recommended which is a bummer because we just put some down.
Mooba - an original RoomBud and co-founder of myRoomBud.com

If you don't dress up your Roomba, it's just a naked vacuum.
Mooba
RoomBudder

lamminate floors

Postby studguy43613 » September 29th, 2006, 11:31 am

Ok. I in the name of science used my scooba on my lamminate floor. I think you have to be very carefull in the area I have a ceiling fan so I turned it on "HI" to make the solvent dry quickly. Here's the deal I would not use roomba on lamminate floors all of the time. I would say one a month or every other month. Also if you have "shiney" floors I would not use it at all as it leaves a sorr of "film" over it. I think the biggest thing is making sure that if you, you use a scooba on lamminite floor you dry it as fast as possible.
studguy43613

Postby THX-1138 » September 29th, 2006, 11:46 am

The issue is not with the surface but infact with the junctions. Scooba ejects water and it may force water into these junctions so in time it will damage your expensive laminate flooring.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby Jan » September 29th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. Looks like the scooba is not for me as I wanted it for my laminate floors - what a bummer!! :(
Jan

Postby THX-1138 » September 29th, 2006, 2:43 pm

:D But you could get a Roomba instead! It works perfectly! and then use a swiffer style mop. :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

floors

Postby studguy43613 » September 29th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Yes, you guys make a great point about the junctions in the floor. My floor was instaled by a professional company and has a warrenty of 50 years so I'm not that worried about it. but as I said before people have had lamminate in the kitchen for years and I can't think of an area that gets more water than my kitchen. I'm allways droping crap on the floor. I agree with you that if your looking for something to clean your laminate floors with Scooba is not for you. I use the the new Dirt Dog and it does a wonderful job. I really don't think running scooba once in a great while hurts anything.
studguy43613

Postby THX-1138 » September 29th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Studguy,

True, my floors are also 50 yr. warranty but that is for the floor not the service :roll:

I would rather be in the safe side than having to come home and see bulging junctions, also who would want to use a swifer again after having Scooba do a great job :D
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby Bunkie111 » December 21st, 2006, 9:25 pm

Anyone out there been using Scooba regularly on Pergo? Just curious if it will really cause warping as they say. Thanks!
Bunkie111

Postby Bunkie111 » December 27th, 2006, 10:04 am

bump
Bunkie111

Postby sez » December 29th, 2006, 11:20 am

I have Pergo in my dining room, but I won't use my Scooba in there. Pergo wants you to use only their solution anyway (which smells like Vinegar, incidentally), so I'm not sure if the Scooba juice would be good for the floor.

If anybody uses the Scooba on their laminate floor, it'd probably be best to use it with vinegar.
sez
Robot Groupie

Postby THX-1138 » December 29th, 2006, 11:28 am

:? The issue with Scooba is not much about the solution being used on the pergo surface but more so that the cleaning liquid (no matter if Scooba Juice, Water, Vinegar or anything else) gets into the junctions between laminates, this is the issue. Personally I do not use it on my floors but anyone is invited to try and report back with results in the short and long term effects of using the Scooba on this type of floors.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby pieceofschmidt » December 29th, 2006, 11:44 am

i have used scooba on my laminate flooring (gasp!). it is soaks the floor no more than i would mopping the floor, so i don't see what the big deal is. the jets of the scooba aren't freakin power-washers, so worrying about them spraying water into the joints is a little silly i think. if you mop your floor with water/cleaner (like my armstrong flooring recommended), then i think you're ok to use scooba. **i am in no way responsible for any damage caused to your floor as a result of the above comments** :)
pieceofschmidt

Postby THX-1138 » December 29th, 2006, 11:55 am

Hello schidt, Welcome to RoombaReview :D

Great to know that you have at least are using it. Can you tell us how long have you been cleaning your laminates with Scooba and how often? Also could you please post pictures every 4 months of your floor for a long term effect (6 - 12 mo.) checkup for using Scooba on this type of floor? We are very interested in following up your results! :wink:
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby pieceofschmidt » December 29th, 2006, 4:03 pm

thanks for the welcome. yeah i just got both the scooba and roomba from hammacher schlemmer for xmas. as i'm typing, scooba is washing my laminates. i guess i should have mentioned that i've only done it twice since i got it a few days ago. my post was just to mention the fact that if you mop your laminate floors, then there should not be much difference between that and scooba-ing them. i would be glad to keep everyone updated on the progress and alert the board of any problems.

**edit**

the only problem i really have is that it seems to dull the shine of the floors. i'm inclined to think that this is more a result of the clorox solution than the scooba itself. maybe i'll try it with vinegar and see if there's a difference.
pieceofschmidt

Postby pieceofschmidt » December 30th, 2006, 11:48 am

update: the dull film that was there yesterday seems to have dissipated. as an experiment, i set up a VW in the middle of my living room so i could see the difference. while yesterday i could clearly see a difference in the luster of the floor sections, today both parts look identical again. just wanted to update on the laminate status :)
still no changes in the physical status of the floor.
pieceofschmidt

Laminate Flooring

Postby dmkrupa » December 30th, 2006, 7:02 pm

I worked for a mom and pop floor store for 3 1/2 years and I have approximately 1800 sq ft of laminate flooring in my home, including the bathroom. Here's what we were told off the record from the manufacturer's of laminate and hard woods.

Cleaning: Use a damp mop with a water and white vinegar solution, and
pick up spills as fast as possible.

Laminates should be able to withstand the amount of water used by the Scooba, but only if the floor was properly installed. The joints really have to be tight, and the moulding/quarter round/baseboard will not stop the water from getting under the laminate at the edges of the walls unless it had been caulked (which is not a part of normal installation).

I just got the Roomba and am looking forward to getting the Scooba. I will only use it with a WATER AND VINEGAR solution. Use your own judgement. 8)
dmkrupa

Postby sez » December 30th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Laminates should be able to withstand the amount of water used by the Scooba, but only if the floor was properly installed. The joints really have to be tight,

Well, that counts me out because I installed ours myself! :wink:
sez
Robot Groupie

Postby thermidorthelobster » January 1st, 2007, 3:02 pm

I'm quite interested in this thread as I too was thinking of getting a Scooba for my laminate floors. I was thinking along the same lines as Schmidt - given I mop the floor with a mild bleach solution anyway, and it can cope with coffee spills etc, I don't see why the Scooba should do it any harm.

When I mop, the cleaning solution takes about 20-30 minutes to fully evaporate. How long does a Scooba-cleaned room take to dry?

I'd be most interested to hear from anybody whose laminate floor HAS been damaged by a Scooba.

David
thermidorthelobster

Postby pieceofschmidt » January 2nd, 2007, 11:50 pm

thermidor:
from what i've seen, the scooba wetness is comparable to mopping. the solution evaporates at the same rate as you would expect any water to evaporate - approx. 20-30 mins, although i'm sure that depends on your local humidity (i'm in atlanta, so it probably takes a little longer to evaporate here than it would in say british columbia). that said, mine seems to be drying in less than 20 minutes. for example: when i put scooba in my kitchen and block it with a VW (approx 8ft. by 8ft.), the floor will be mostly dry after scooba has done it's little self-drying thing and then beeps at me to come get it. i've only been using scooba for about a week, but as my roommate loves to remind me, i only rarely mopped the floor before, now scooba is being run daily haha. my retort is that scooba will run til the dirty water is as clear as the clean water...haha.

one other point: i have two dogs, and their water dish has been sitting on my laminate floor for over 4 years now. they are always dripping, drooling, and spilling on the floor and so far, the floor has held up like a champ...

i agree with thermidor - i would love to hear from someone who has had actual damage from the scooba on their floors...not just irobot covering their asses :)
iRobot? Scooba? 5900 Floor Washing Robot

iRobot? Roomba? Scheduler Vacuuming Robot with Intelli-Bin?
pieceofschmidt

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat