Scooba won't shoot water

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Scooba won't shoot water

Postby Prixmo » December 16th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Hello,
I'm a newbie to this group...joined today. I own a Roomba Red and a Scooba. I haven't had a single problem with Red, had it over a year. Scooba was working fine, have only used it maybe 8 times and it always worked. Today, it won't shoot any water out. I've followed the instructions, I always clean what they tell me to clean, dry it good... Today it makes the trying to work sound and the "check tank" light came on. I checked the tank, drained it, started over, washed filters,... I gave it a nudge and it started cleaning but no fluids will comes out at all. ???
Prixmo

Postby vic7767 » December 16th, 2006, 11:55 pm

Prixmo, welcome to the forum. There are several different solutions to the problem you are having. The easiest is to purchase a turkey baster and cut the tip to fit the nozzle on the base of the scooba and force water through it. Not many people have the setup I have but if you have an old tropical fish tank package and it included an airpump you can fix your problem. I used a three foot section of clear tubing from the pump, filled it with water, connected one end to the pump, the other end to the inlet valve on the scooba, plugged in the pump and let it run until water started coming out of the bottom of the scooba. This always works for me.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby seanrolsen » December 17th, 2006, 10:50 am

I whacked mine by the charging port and he behaved.

(As per troubleshooting instructions on irobot.com)

:lol:
seanrolsen

Postby Ed » December 17th, 2006, 11:37 am

Good luck. I've performed every fix ever published, yet the problem persists. This is a serious issue for scooba, and I will not buy another IRobot product until their QC improves.
Ed

Postby kevitra » December 17th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Ed wrote:Good luck. I've performed every fix ever published, yet the problem persists. This is a serious issue for scooba, and I will not buy another IRobot product until their QC improves.

If you have only used it 8 times it should be under warranty. Call and see what they say.
kevitra

Postby vic7767 » December 17th, 2006, 6:52 pm

How long has it been between cleaning cycles with your Scooba?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

2 scooba's SAME problem - NEED TO THE PRIME PUMP!

Postby prop-guy » January 5th, 2007, 12:42 am

I bought my wife a 5800 for Christmas. It took a zillion tries to get past the CHECK TANK light. Finally worked but layed no fluid down. So i returned it and go another one. Much to my shagrin, the NEW one did the exact same thing. I did all the recommeded crap, but my insticts still leaned toward priming the pump. I took a 20cc syringe and drilled out the end so it would fit over the inlet and seal tightly. I filled the machine with water until it puke out. SUCCESS!!!

Perhaps IROBOT could include a modified syringe with the Scooba. Might save a lot of troubles....

Thanx
T

:?
prop-guy

Postby czunit » January 7th, 2007, 12:50 am

Same here, my Scooba was DOA. Used a syringe and straw to put water into the inlet till it squirted out the bottom, happy as clam.

Chris
Yes, I have blown up batteries. :-)
czunit
Robot Addict

Postby Maryland Mike » January 8th, 2007, 12:30 pm

I had the same problem, and was unable to blow hard enough using the pen method to clear the clogged part.

I then tried using the squeeze bulb from the Murine Ear Wax Removal System and found that it fit the valve perfectly. One good squeeze later and the Scooba was shooting water.
Maryland Mike

Re: 2 scooba's SAME problem - NEED TO THE PRIME PUMP!

Postby debugger » May 1st, 2007, 4:50 pm

prop-guy wrote:I bought my wife a 5800 for Christmas. It took a zillion tries to get past the CHECK TANK light. Finally worked but layed no fluid down. So i returned it and go another one. Much to my shagrin, the NEW one did the exact same thing. I did all the recommeded crap, but my insticts still leaned toward priming the pump. I took a 20cc syringe and drilled out the end so it would fit over the inlet and seal tightly. I filled the machine with water until it puke out. SUCCESS!!!

Perhaps IROBOT could include a modified syringe with the Scooba. Might save a lot of troubles....

Thanx
T

:?

Many thanks for this page. I bought a Scooba, spent a fortune on importing it into the UK, eagerly awaited the 16 hour first charge and then got faced with all this CHECK TANK rubbish.

FRUSTRATION, really kicking myself for wasting so much money on an item that didn't work.

Instruction manual - no use - no mention of priming pump at all!

Found this and similar pages. No Turkey Basters in my house, no old Fish Tank accessories. Eventually took a ball point pen to bits, attacked it with a hacksaw to get the end off it, filled with water and blew, and blew, and blew - boy do you need a lot of puff to get this thing going - eventually success.

There's obviously a design fault here, many would give up much sooner - I think many have, some to get a replacement that's exactly the same, and some completely lost customers. iRobot really need to include instructions to get past this and provide a kit of parts to achieve it - otherwise they'll just lose customers.

It's not like the Roombas that just work, the Scooba is a real fiddle to get going but once it's going it's brilliant.
debugger
Robot Addict

Postby iRobotCSR » May 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm

If the Scooba is not putting down solution, try the following:

I. Is the Scooba making the "whirring" sound at start up?
If not, try removing the tank, placing the Scooba on the side (where the brushes come out) and tapping it against the floor or counter top 3-5 times.

II. If you're getting the whirring noise, try the following:
Remove the tank and the battery and set them aside. On the base of the Scooba next to the eject brush button is a solution valve sticking up. Fill a turkey baster (or similar object) up with water and flush that valve out until you notice water going through freely. If you do not have a turkey baster, call Technical Support and they will send you a suction bulb.
Once the water is going through freely, clean up the excess water and replace the battery in the Scooba.
Now, on the bottom of the tank is black poppit valve. With the tank in the upright position, take a pen or pencil point or a toothpick and poke that valve several times to ensure that solution is coming out from the tank.

Between those two troublehshooting steps, your Scooba should be up and running in no time.

I hope this helps!
iRobotCSR

Postby debugger » May 2nd, 2007, 2:05 am

iRobotCSR wrote:If you do not have a turkey baster, call Technical Support and they will send you a suction bulb.

It was indeed this second issue that was my problem. From reading this forum it would appear that this issue is commonplace, so I would suggest what needs to happen is:

1. The instructions you outlined should be included in the manual.

2. The suction bulb should be included with every Scooba.
debugger
Robot Addict

Re: Scooba won't shoot water

Postby tracy1 » September 25th, 2009, 12:26 pm

I took a children's medicine dropper and, although it wouldn't fit the valve, shot water into it the best I could and then I took a straw which will fit the valve perfectly and blew through it REALLY hard. Problem solved!
tracy1

Re: Scooba won't shoot water

Postby Msd » January 2nd, 2014, 9:03 am

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Scooba. I tried the steps suggested by IRobotCSR, but the problem persists. Other suggestions?

Thank you.
Msd

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat