Would a roomba trigger a home's security system?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Would a roomba trigger a home's security system?

Postby cissado » January 24th, 2007, 9:45 pm

I pressed "clean" on my scooba today as I was walking out the door. Love it! but when I got to the front door to set my house alarm, I paused to think... Would the scooba or roomba trigger the alarm's motion sensors? I didn't have time to check it, so I did the logical thing. I didn't arm my house and kept the scooba going. lol Did I mention I love it?

Sure I could test it out but was wondering if this was discussed before. My searches came up with 50 threads about everything else. "motion" alarm", sensor"...

To my knowledge, I would guess it's safe, because I think the motion sensors are triggered by 30-45 pounds or more, if I remeber correctly. Any experiences?

My system has recently been triggered by either a helium birthday balloon in the house floating around or an open window facing moving branches outside. I'm not sure which one did it. So I am concerned about this.
cissado

Postby cb747 » January 24th, 2007, 9:57 pm

A motion detector does just that. It detects motion so i would think your scooba or roomba would set it off as long as the sensors can pick up motion that low to the ground.
cb747
Robot Addict

Postby cissado » January 24th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Wow, that's not good. Forget about the scheduler for me then. Ouch.

Of course i will be trying it out some before coming to a full conclusion. I forget if the motion sensors which did only over 30 or 40+ pounds were specific ones that were purhcased or if they were the standard weight varieties. I know people with cats and dogs have these issues and those sensors are for them. Just not sure if they are "custom" sensors or standard.

Well, anyone with a cat that has a security system? lol

So far i really impressed with the scooba and I'm planning on the roomba next. I really don't like the high volume of the scooba and want it on when I'm not home. That's too bad. It's not over yet, but it is a bump in the road.

thanks for the reply.
cissado

Postby cb747 » January 24th, 2007, 10:23 pm

I dont have a security system but it is possible that they wont pick up any motion 6 inches off the floor which in that case will work well for you. Best bet maybe call the alarm company and ask them :)
cb747
Robot Addict

Postby bluenoise » January 24th, 2007, 10:37 pm

I was wondering the same thing, but haven't tested it yet. I bought a Scheduler last night and scheduled it to run at 5:00 PM today. As I was arming my system, I just did perimeter only (disables the motion sensors). Maybe tonight I'll think to test it.

If your system has a way to disable the motion sensors, which I assume they all do*, you should try that until you can confirm the Roomba won't trigger them.

*Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to arm the system while you're home. Some systems call this the "Stay" mode.
bluenoise

Postby RC Eden Carpet Cleaning » January 25th, 2007, 12:39 am

I had an alarm system in my old home and thought the same thing, that Roomba would set off the alarm. I did some tests with me standing by in a portion in the home that I had not armed and... Good news my alarm was not set off by Roomba, because of the low height of Roomba. I would suggest you do a similar test, if you can not arm individual zones then stand outside and wait to see if the alarm goes of or not... Good luck and hope this helps :D
RC Eden Carpet Cleaning
Founding Member

Postby sircastor » January 25th, 2007, 1:20 am

I would do some tests. Most modern alarm systems that use motion detectors should be installed to clear a certain level. Often they will be properly aimed to dodge pets and such. My expectation is that they would not be set off by the roomba, but it depends largely on your alarm system and the installer.
sircastor

Postby cissado » January 25th, 2007, 4:31 pm

I installed the alarm system myself but did not do the programming and don't know the product really well.

After a little searching, I see that there are different "pet friendly" motion detectors for alarm systems that don't detect pets "up to.. 40 pounds... 60 pounds.. 90 pounds.." etc... Depend on which you want to buy.

There are different types of rays that are emitted from these sensors to pick up motion. Mine has a height adjustment depending on how high you mount it on the wall. In my case 7.5 feet high. Then it shines down at an angle to "detect" or "arm" the whole room from that height. I also have multiple sensors installed, so if one doesn't get you, the opposite side of the area will.

I just need to find out now, which one mine is. If it's the "pet friendly" sensor or not. I saw a similar one to mine and it had no such feature. I may be out of luck, but will ask my programmer. It definately does depend on the individual system though.

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked and discussed already. Possibly so, but I didn't catch it on the search.

PS I do have the disarm feature for my motions but that is when I'm home and it only arms the perimeter of the house. This is for going to bed at night and "securing" the house while still being able to roam around the house during the night. I'd really hate to use half the system everyday. I may have to replace all my motion sensors... hmmm.

Thanks for the replies.
cissado

Postby cissado » January 25th, 2007, 8:06 pm

OK Last update, in case anyone is following with interest...

I noticed one of my motion sensors has a 30 pound and 65 pound clip that can be either taken off or kept on for each sensitivity setting. So, others' may have the same thing, since I've seen a lot advertised with such settings but mine was not. I thought it didn't have it until I checked.. The roomba/scooba is definately under 30 pounds and will not have a problem even with the higher sensitivity setting.

thanks again.
cissado

Re: Would a roomba trigger a home's security system?

Postby bhylak » March 23rd, 2011, 6:11 am

I don't think you looked over the posts iMayne... It won't if your alarm system is pet friendly.
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby iMayne » March 23rd, 2011, 6:15 am

bhylak wrote:... iMayne... It won't if your alarm system is pet friendly.

I need to learn. Tell me how and why.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » March 23rd, 2011, 6:55 am

The house next door got broken into so we decided to get a security system. Because we have a dog, the installer placed the motion detector such that anything under three feet tall will not activate the alarm. If our dog decides to walk on his hind legs we are in trouble :) So far my security dawg has not caused any alarm trips.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby bhylak » March 23rd, 2011, 3:44 pm

I'm not exactly sure. I believe it has to do more with weight though... Not entirely sure.
Ben

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby roombafan56001 » March 23rd, 2011, 5:15 pm

How is a motion sensor supposed to detect the weight of an object? Wouldn't a motion senors sense.. motion?!
roombafan56001
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » March 23rd, 2011, 5:24 pm

A home security system may have more than movement sensors. It may include weight sensors, light sensors, sound sensors, fire, smoke, carbon monoxide, and other gas sensors. Depending on the system it may become difficult to prevent a false alarm when a Rooma or Scooba is running around.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bhylak » March 23rd, 2011, 5:26 pm

I believe the lens calculates the dimensions for it... But, that said, a spider that jumps in front could account for 1000 pounds...

About the sensors... Your right. If it is solely movement, it shouldn't be much of a problem. If you have a heat sensor, that could be a problem.
Ben

bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby roombafan56001 » March 23rd, 2011, 5:33 pm

bhylak wrote:I believe the lens calculates the dimensions for it... But, that said, a spider that jumps in front could account for 1000 pounds....

LOL. I just laughed really hard... thats a horrible system of calculation..
roombafan56001
Robot Addict

Postby sageman » March 23rd, 2011, 7:12 pm

bhylak wrote:I believe the lens calculates the dimensions for it... But, that said, a spider that jumps in front could account for 1000 pounds...

the ones at school used to be turned on by flys and spiders
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby roombafan56001 » March 23rd, 2011, 8:02 pm

What did they do just sound off?
roombafan56001
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » March 23rd, 2011, 9:18 pm

I doubt there was anyone there to disarm the alarm.
Ben

bhylak
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat