Will a Roomba work for me?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Will a Roomba work for me?

Postby Emmaexito » June 4th, 2007, 1:03 pm

I covet a Roomba....oh how I covet one! But I am concerned that it won't really work in our house. We have an open floor plan, with area rugs. Can a Roomba handle jumping up onto an area rug from a hardwood floor? Or would it get stuck trying to get around it? Also, the floors in the kitchen area are very uneven. Again, would it just get stuck at every change in level? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Emmaexito

Re: Will a Roomba work for me?

Postby geekgranny » June 4th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Emmaexito wrote:I covet a Roomba....oh how I covet one! But I am concerned that it won't really work in our house. We have an open floor plan, with area rugs. Can a Roomba handle jumping up onto an area rug from a hardwood floor? Or would it get stuck trying to get around it? Also, the floors in the kitchen area are very uneven. Again, would it just get stuck at every change in level? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

My Roombas and DirtDogs get up onto my low pile rug runners, with with latex backing, with ease. Sometimes they will catch and pull a corner up with them but rarely get stuck and release the edge as they move on. Dirtdogs are much more aggressive in doing this with their strong brush action.

My daughter has some antique woven rugs (non-pile) and one thick piled, higher, area rug. Her Original Silver, Discovery, and Dirtdog have no problems transitioning up nor do they catch the edges or (lucky for her) the fringe on one. All but Dirtdog have trouble transitioning up onto her very uneven, heavily grouted tile kitchen. Once they are up there they do fine and can transition back down to the wood flooring with ease.

My neighbor, with Discovery, has wood floors, several antique woven rugs, and kitchen tile with heavy grout lines. Roomba does great and doesn't catch on the little bit of fringe on some rugs. No problems with grout lines but her tiles are pretty even in height. She has one thick, dense piled runner in a hallway that has tassels on corners that Roomba loves to try and devour, though.

As far as fringe goes....and not everyone would want to to this... years ago, before we moved to the "wild woods" where carpeting is not advisable, especially with a pack of large and GIANT house-dogs, we had a good sized, wool area rug with fringe. I, 1) got tired of hand vacuuming and combing dog hairs out of the fringe and 2) got tired of the occasional chewing one particular dog did on the fringe, so I gave it a haircut and removed all the fringe. We actually liked the look better and it was certainly easier to clean. Mind you this wasn't an antique so "resell value" was of no concern. BTW... of all the rugs, runners, and carpeting we've had over the years, wool held doggie odors the least of all.

I'm sure more people will advise you and even ask for more details to help you determine if there will be any problems.

Hope this helps some.

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Postby turkeytaker » June 4th, 2007, 2:34 pm

We have no rugs in our house, so that's not an issue. My mother has a 3/4" thick wool rug (geekgranny is right about wool not holding doggy smell) and it has no problem with that.

I've got pretty uneven tile, but my Roombas don't have a problem. I guess it would depend on how uneven, but we haven't had any trouble (other than with the Scooba) with tiles sticking up about 1/2". If you have uneven thick tiles, it might be more of a problem.

My guys also seem to have no problem with the wooden flooring that is really uneven, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a decent slope to the popping boards. Indoor floods are hell on flooring. :shock:

They do 'offroading' pretty well, in my experience.
turkeytaker
Robot Addict

Postby Dorktastic » June 4th, 2007, 2:46 pm

I have to jump in with a caution about area rugs. I took my Roomba over to my parents house to see if it would work for them. Roomba had a terrible time getting up onto 2 of their large area rugs. Both are dense, plush rugs (Sometimes called "Velvet" or "Saxony", I think) which are even higher because of a thick underlay pad.

Roomba simply bounced off the edges of these rugs and continued cleaning the bare floors. When I put Roomba onto the rugs, it really strugged to move in the very dense, soft pile.

However, these problem carepts are rather extreme. Most low or medium pile carpets (especially level loop carpets like berber) will be no problem for Roomba if the carpet doesn't sit so high off the floor that it simply bounces off!
Using: Roomba Scheduler with Intelli-Bin, Scooba 380. Former: Sage, Scooba 5900 and Discovery SE
Dorktastic
Robot Addict

Postby geekgranny » June 4th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Dorktastic wrote:I have to jump in with a caution about area rugs. I took my Roomba over to my parents house to see if it would work for them. Roomba had a terrible time getting up onto 2 of their large area rugs. Both are dense, plush rugs (Sometimes called "Velvet" or "Saxony", I think) which are even higher because of a thick underlay pad.

Roomba simply bounced off the edges of these rugs and continued cleaning the bare floors. When I put Roomba onto the rugs, it really struggled to move in the very dense, soft pile.

That's exactly why I "retired" my Roombas and never use Dirtdogs (motor assemblies heat up with potential death to Dirtdog) upstairs on my carpets, even though they are not as "nice" or plush, I'm sure, as Dorktastic's parent's rugs. Roombas do a creditable job but I just can't bear to hear them struggle so much. Trilobite, as those of us who use them on our "difficult" carpets report, seem to struggle less and do pick up remarkably well and do raise the "nap" on even very aged, neglected carpet, sort of untangling it as such. Time will tell if Trilobite is actually handling the rigors of our carpets.

Dorktastic wrote:
However, these problem carpets are rather extreme. Most low or medium pile carpets (especially level loop carpets like berber) will be no problem for Roomba if the carpet doesn't sit so high off the floor that it simply bounces off!

:agree:

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat