Roomba Discovery brushes will not turn

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba Discovery brushes will not turn

Postby suzette100 » July 11th, 2007, 6:21 pm

I have a Roomba discovery and suddenly the brushes will not turn. I took the dirt cup out and confirmed that this is the case. I cannot tell if it has suction or not.

I replaced the brush and the rubber piece next to it and the same problem exists. I took the dirt cup off and cleaned off all user accessible places to no avail.

Any ideas on what to try?
suzette100

Postby suzette100 » July 11th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Forgive me, I forgot one thing:

There is a little yellow slotted cap on the end of my black rubber roller. A few days ago I was cleaning Roomba and I saw a piece that looked exactly like that on the floor. It was not (as far as I can tell) from my black roller or the brush assembly, in fact, I cannot figure out where it may have come from.

When I replaced my brush set, I took care to notice if the parts on the new brush/rubber roller matched my old set, and they did. I have no idea where that little piece came from, or if it is supposed to fit in there somewhere.
suzette100

Postby suzette100 » July 11th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Forgive me for posting again, but to clarify, the item I'm talking about is a brush bearing, according to
http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=212

OK, and in once again looking at my roomba and writing this, I figured it out. I'll put this down for anyone else with issues.

Looking at the fifth picture on that page I linked to above, I discovered that the piece that fell out was indeed the brush bearing. I had the Roomba apart at the time and did not see where it came from. My new set of brushes did not have a bearing attached, so I still didn't see where it came from after inspecting the new brushes; I thought it may have fallen off from inside somewhere.

So my brush bearing is back in place and she's working great now. Thanks for your patience and I hope this helps someone else! Be very careful when you clean your Roomba so that you don't lose that little part!
suzette100

Postby vic7767 » July 11th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Very good troubleshooting efforts. The problem you have encountered happens a lot, this will help remind others to keep an eye on the yellow bearing caps.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby geekgranny » July 12th, 2007, 12:49 pm

vic7767 wrote:Very good troubleshooting efforts. The problem you have encountered happens a lot, this will help remind others to keep an eye on the yellow bearing caps.

I keep a few extra of those bearings. I think I've lost a total of 3 or 4 doing hasty cleanings over a bin or compost pile that I don't want to dig into. :oops: They seem to jump off when you're not looking.

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat