Authorized Dealers

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Authorized Dealers

Postby fancyfreewv » November 21st, 2007, 3:14 pm

Since I have been "burned" buying a Discovery on Ebay that was supposed to carry a manufacturers' warranty I called IRobot to find out just who IS AUTHORIZED to sell these in the USA so you will not have warranty issues. This is the list they gave me.

Sharper Image
Bed Bath and Beyond
Linens ?N Things
Home Depot
Target
Sears
Best Buy
Kohl?s
Filene?s Famous Barr - NY, RI, VT, CT and ME
Robinson May CA, NV, AZ
Foley?s -TX, NM, OK, LA, and OK
Hechts PA, NJ, MD, VA, NC, and TN
Hammacher Schlemmer NY and IL
Brookstone
Amazon.com

According to them, this is the complete list so if you register your item with them you will be on shaky ground if you did not purchase it from one of the places on the list.

They said this was a list of "major" retailers so possibly there are others but I don't know them. If anyone else does, why not add to this list so all may benefit. :D
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby dueltommycha » November 21st, 2007, 4:33 pm

I got mine from Ebay too... I went through the same process as you did...
dueltommycha
Robot Groupie

Postby glo69 » November 23rd, 2007, 5:58 pm

Hello Nancy

I don't see Woot on the list, but they advertise that their iRobot merchandise comes with warranty.
glo69
Robot Addict

Postby fancyfreewv » November 23rd, 2007, 6:39 pm

Well it's interesting for sure. I know that All Brands (I bought my sewing machine there) is an online retailer and they sell on Ebay with the express claim "we are an authorized retailer of IRobot products". There are also other vacuum stores that sell them.

However, when I called for this list I had to speak to three different areas at IRobot and finally the woman said she'd email it to me and this is what I got.

Perhaps they are only listing the "major" retailers.

On their website when you try to register it asks you where you got it and this is the choice:

Retail Store
Catalog
Online Retailer
HSN
Infomercial
IRobot Store
Other
In Warranty Exchange
Out Warranty Exchange
Ebay
Gift
Rewards Program
Rebate

I saw someone on Ebay telling the buyer to register as a "gift" so they would get the warranty service.
Last edited by fancyfreewv on November 23rd, 2007, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby ProTech Robotics » November 23rd, 2007, 6:43 pm

glo69 wrote:Hello Nancy

I don't see Woot on the list, but they advertise that their iRobot merchandise comes with warranty.

Woot! is an authorized liquidator for iRobot and the warranty is in affect with them. There are hundreds of resellers on the internet like myself and I have never had an issue with registering a warranty through iRobot. When registering the list includes "online retailer" as an option for where you purchased your roomba.

eBay is also on the list but iRobot routinely denies warranty registration/claims for items purchased off eBay because there is no way to validate its original purchase date and warranty status is not transferable with ownership.
An option for anyone that makes a purchase on ebay is to warranty it through Squaretrade as new or used. This option is available to the buyer even if the seller is not a participating member of squaretrade.
ProTech Robotics
Robot Addict

Postby fancyfreewv » November 23rd, 2007, 6:54 pm

NOTE: List was for NEW items not refurbs.

I guess the main issue I see with all this is that when troubleshooting major issues that are under warranty, they will routinely ask you who you purchased it from even if you don't have it clearly specified in the registration or it's not a specific to a retailer model like 535 or 550.

I.E. if you chose OTHER or RETAIL STORE they ask which one. So they catch people that way. Now if the techs that are doing the troubleshooting only have access to my original posted list, this is going to eventually be an issue if you buy it from someplace else they are not that familiar with.

"Hey, George! Do we cover warranties on Woot purchases? It's not on my list."

They put all those options there I guess so they can catch the ones that look at the list and say "ebay" because they bought it there. Then you don't know until you try to claim on the warranty that it isn't going to be honored. In some cases several items on their choices fit. Online, Ebay Other etc. You pick wrong (as I did) and you are denied warranty help. There are Dirt Dogs on there now that are brand new in box but will carry no warranty. That does not seem right if it's sealed.

The way to get all this taken care of would be for them to put a date on refurbished ones (I know they put a sticker code on it) and then stick to the date for their limited time. That way it would be warrantied no matter who had it but only up to the date - 60 or 90 days etc.
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby ProTech Robotics » November 23rd, 2007, 9:56 pm

Just an FYI, Woot! liquidates both New and Reconditioned models for iRobot and they are authorized liquidators for them.

My situation may be different from others because of the volume that I deal with, as for warranty claims, I have done in the area of 200 registrations online in my iRobot account for personal and work related in service roombas durring the past 3 years. I have had in the neighborhood of a 70-80 warranty claims for units purchased from iRobot, Woot, Buy, Amazon and even ebay and other overstock liquidation sites and have never been asked personally where I bought it from other then when registering a roomba online. I have taked with tech support to customer care all the way up to corporate on some issues and have never been asked "so where did you buy it from" Like I said, my situation may be different from others but I have not had that asked.

Yes, if you get on the phone with iRobot and say hey, I bought this used roomba on ebay and... they will probably deny a claim for that immediately.
ProTech Robotics
Robot Addict

Postby fancyfreewv » November 23rd, 2007, 10:04 pm

Well interestingly I have been asked twice now where I got them from. Then she looked and saw 550 and realized it would have to be Costco. This was during the troubleshooting of my dead 550 that they replaced.

Then in the infamous Ebay mess I had, I had registered it as Ebay unknowingly because I had not found this forum yet. When I tried to get the 90 day warranty on it, she asked where I got it. Stupidly I said Ebay and she denied any warranty.

Last week when I tried to register my new 560 replacement it went in as a 535 on their website (and is still showing 535 with a product ID code of a 560) I wrote and they said they straightened it out. I called them about something else afterwards and they asked me where I got the robots. I said 535 was HSN and 560 was an in warranty exchange. She made me go to the robot while she was on the phone and read her off the serial number code. Then she says that's what it has here. DUH "so you have two 535 and one 560 then"??? DUH again. "Where did you get the 560?"

Now since both were registered by me on IRobot site and clearly had the "where I got it" noted, why did they proceed to ask again? It was as if they did not have the information.

So I have plenty of experience with the "where did you get this" question. I wonder what happens if you just LIE?
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby ProTech Robotics » November 23rd, 2007, 10:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend that even though there is little way for them to verify anything otherwise. I do believe that there is no need to offer information that is not need. Many times people get stuck in that uncomfortable silent momnet while the CS on the other side is looking at something and then inveriably start coughing up information that isn't valid or needed.
ProTech Robotics
Robot Addict

Postby dueltommycha » November 23rd, 2007, 10:42 pm

They'll request the receipt of the purchase when you use the warranty for exchange or repair, that;s how they find out if you lied or not.
dueltommycha
Robot Groupie

Postby fancyfreewv » November 23rd, 2007, 10:57 pm

I have never been asked for a receipt for anything they have sent me under warranty. They just look at the file and see you have robots it seems and send it. At least that is for the 5xx series which of course at this point can't be over a year old.
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby geekgranny » November 24th, 2007, 1:57 am

I've had at least two DirtDogs, two Reds, and a Scooba warranty replaced by iRobot, and quite a few warranty parts sent and I've never been required to provide proof of where they were purchased. In the case of one Scooba it was a gift, registered as that. At no time has iRobot requested any proof of purchase for warranty exchanges or warranty parts. For a couple I called about I couldn't, for the life of me, remember where I purchased and exactly when. It could have been woot . com, or buy . com or Amazon. CS and I just guessed and they accepted that. As long as I get the warranty I paid for I don't care what is listed as the approved source and it hasn't seemed like iRobot CSs seem to mind either. Of those of mine that are registered, most have been registered when I call for a problem and I guesstimate when that particular 'bot was purchased.

I have three Roombas right now that have never been used and were purchased for use as gifts. I've had them for months. I did ask an iRobot CS about registering new gift 'bots and was told to have giftee register 'bot "when put into service" simply because of iRobot's policy to not transfer warranty to second party.

I'm still not clear on why iRobot won't honor a "new in sealed box" 'bot that is purchased from some sellers on eBay or from "non approved" sellers. Suppose I purchase a "new in sealed box" (for whatever "sealed box" means) on eBay from a "non approved" seller and then give it as a gift. I've given several 'bots as gifts. I've never had one giftee ask me where their 'bot was purchased. iRobot has never asked me or anyone I know where their gift was purchased.

I'm sure there is a possibility that very used 'bots, worn out 'bots, and broken 'bots that have not been previously registered are being registered as new. I don't see how iRobot can stop that with their current policy. So far they haven't put any limits on manufacture dates and registration. What are they accomplishing by denying warranty of new 'bot sold by "non approved sellers"? :?

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Postby Samantha » November 24th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Interesting. You can go in and change your place of purchase on the warranty info on the iRobot page. Wonder if they track that?
Samantha

delaers

Postby elalon » November 25th, 2007, 9:25 am

so if i DID bought it in ebay , should i register it as a gift in order not to have trouble in the future?
elalon

Re: delaers

Postby geekgranny » November 25th, 2007, 12:41 pm

elalon wrote:so if i DID bought it in ebay , should i register it as a gift in order not to have trouble in the future?

Without committing to what I would do I will say that this has been done. :wink:

gg=alice
Bunch 4xx's(2002 on), 2-530, 2-535, 2-550, 1-570, 1-536, 7 Scoobas, 9 Dirtdogs, QQ-2, 3 Trilobites, 3 Pool Cleaners (vac/pressure/robot), SolarBreeze Pool Skimmer ver. 2 beta, SpotBot, CREATE, ROVIO, FURMANATORS = 1 MASTIFF, 2 LABRADOODLES
geekgranny
Robot Granny

Dealers in Seattle

Postby raykris » May 30th, 2008, 3:29 am

Hi,

does anybody know of any Roomba dealers in Seattle? I am going there in two weeks time, and considered to buy a Roomba 570.

Best,
Ray
Norway
raykris

Postby fancyfreewv » May 30th, 2008, 9:40 am

Most of us probably buy online from IRobot or other dealers like Amazon or Woot.

There are some stores in the US that are not nationwide. What one person has in their area may not be in others.

Be careful of Linens and Things as they are now bankrupt but still in business.

Others would be:
Sharper Image
Bed Bath and Beyond
Home Depot
Target
Sears
Best Buy
Kohl?s
Brookstone
Amazon.com
Big Lots (& other closeout stores for the 4xxx models)
Hammacher Schlemer (hard to find these retail - mostly online)
Costco but you have to pay 5% above cost or have a membership if you want to return after short period. Their extended warranty is just for members.
Not in Seattle but elsewhere:

Filene?s Famous Barr - NY, RI, VT, CT and ME
Robinson May CA, NV, AZ
Foley?s -TX, NM, OK, LA, and OK
Hechts PA, NJ, MD, VA, NC, and TN
Hammacher Schlemmer NY and IL

According to IRobot, this is the complete list so if you register your item with them you will be on shaky ground if you did not purchase it from one of the places on the list. I have seen others mentioned that have now started carrying them and they are warranteed.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the cleaning and maintenance procedures on these if you will not have a deal locally in Norway to assist.

www.robotreviews.com/wiki/cleaning
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby RoombaHolic » May 30th, 2008, 10:26 am

As my signature line shows, I have one Roomba 4210 Scheduler (re-manufactured), one Roomba 4291 Maroon Pet Scheduler w/Intellibin, and one Scooba 5800 (re-manufactured), all of which were purchased on www.woot.com.

I've had 3 under warranty replacements on the Pet Scheduler, (Which cost me over $50.00 in FedEx charges and gas driving to and from the nearest drop off location!), and 1 warranty claim on the Scooba for a broken piece on the brush cover. (Which was broken when I first received it from iRobot!)

Never had a problem with any of the warranty claims and they all were registered as being purchased from www.woot.com, all problems were reported and handled very promptly via their e-mail system, and I never spoke with a "live" support person. :)
So the question is . . . When you turn your vacuum on in the morning, does it return the favor?!
1 Roomba 4210 Scheduler w/bearing mod - 1 Roomba 4291 Pet Scheduler w/Intellibin w/bearing mod - 1 Scuba 5800
RoombaHolic
Robot Groupie

Purchased Roomba from Target found out it was remanufactured

Postby nanjvp5 » November 18th, 2008, 9:56 pm

I ordered a Roomba Discovery on line from Target.com and didn't even read the description because I have one. I ordered it as a gift and when it was delivered the person told me it said it was remanufactured. I went to the site again and read the description and found out it was indeed remanufactured. I never would have expected a big store like that to sell a refurbished item. I thought only sites like eBay would do something like that. Just wanted to alert other people so it will not happen to them.
nanjvp5

Postby Fraggboy » November 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm

nanjvp5,

Thank you for the Head's Up about Target. You are right. I would expect that from Walmart, eBay, or another online retailer. Target targets the medium to higher class person. Which generally means they carry a better brand than Walmart.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat