Roomba 562 Constantly Asking for Brushes to Be Cleaned

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 562 Constantly Asking for Brushes to Be Cleaned

Postby DogHouse » April 26th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I think this topic is in other threads, but honestly they got into bearings/lubings and things that were beyond my comprehension, so I apologize if I am restarting something old -- but for the non-mechanically minded!

My Roomba 562 was purchased on 2/2/09 -- so isn't even 3 months old yet! I have two heavy shedding Corgis and all wood floors. It was doing a great job until the past couple of weeks, when it began to stop cleaning after about 10 minutes and give me the "two beep" "please remove and clean Roomba's brushes" (can I say that woman's voice is getting on my nerves?!?!). I have poked around the forum and done the following:

1) replaced the brushes with new brushes, including the side sweeper and inspected/cleaned everything associated with them
2) rotated the brushes manually to try to clean out anything stuck in there
3) reset the battery
4) removed all the modules, including the wheels, the CHM, the side brush and the front wheel, brushed them clean and vacuumed out any hair or dust bunnies (there were not many) in the interior and the CHM
5) wipe the exterior clean, including every sensor I could sense
6) put it all back together

And it still will tell me to clean the darn brushes after 5-10 minutes! It also makes that thumping/clicking noise which I think means it is trying disengage a cord or something (?) - but there's nothing there to disengage from.

So, clearly I'm still under warranty -- but before I contact iRobot, wanted two pieces of guidance from you all:

1) What else can I do (before contacting them)
2) What should I ask iRobot for -- should I ask to replace some part, and if so, what?

Please treat me as a mechanical moron. The fact that I used a screwdriver to undo the bottom cover is about the limit of my comprehension of all things mechanical ;-)

thanks!
DogHouse

Re: Roomba 562 Constantly Asking for Brushes to Be Cleaned

Postby Fraggboy » April 26th, 2009, 4:26 pm

DogHouse,

Welcome.JPG
Welcome.JPG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 16583 times

You will have to call iRobot to have them send you out another CHM (Cleaning Head Module). It basically filled up with pet hair which you can remove it and take it apart to get to the gears and get the hair out. Then you need to place some lithium grease back on the gears and close it back up. Sad thing that it will still happen down the road.

Check out this thread. This is what happened, and how to fix it. Since it's under warranty, I wouldn't fiddle with it. In the meantime waiting for iRobot to send you out another CHM, you could try to remove the CHM and clean it out.

All you have to tell the CS person is that it keeps saying to "Please inspect and clean Roomba's brushes". Let them know you have taken it out and cleaned them and all of the other steps you listed. They will send you out a new CHM.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby DogHouse » April 26th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for your advice and the links. I thought I had looked through the FAQs, but missed that with the photos -- I'm very leery of taking things apart, since I can rarely get them back together :shock:

I will call them and ask them for the new CHM and follow up from there. I tell you, my dogs shed enough in a week that I could build a whole new dog -- hence the desperate need for a working Roomba!
DogHouse

Postby DogHouse » April 27th, 2009, 10:06 am

Just a little follow up. Called Roomba, they are sending the new CHM forthwith (or so they say). They only made me jump through one or two hoops first, which wasn't soooo bad.

After figuring out where the gears were (I was looking for something much bigger, for some reason -- I told, you, mechanical moron, that's me!), I opened it up -- and there was not a dog hair to be seen! It was clean as a whistle. There was a big dust bunny under that round metal magnet piece, which I had to scoop out with a probe, but that didn't solve my problem.

So I guess I'm going to have to vacuum with my old canister vac for now. So sad. :violin:

Thanks again for your help.
DogHouse

Postby Fraggboy » April 27th, 2009, 10:20 am

Sorry to hear that you can't get it running in the meantime. :( What colors are your CHM? Just curious as to which one you have in your Roomba now.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby DogHouse » April 27th, 2009, 7:12 pm

I have the CHM that is blue and black. According to the email I got from iRobot, I think they are sending me a new green CHM.

I see the long discussion thread on the green CHM. I will now study it closely to see what I need to do to keep it healthy.
DogHouse

Postby mfortuna » April 28th, 2009, 6:52 am

You may want to check the transmission gears as well. The transmission is attached to the bottom of the motor.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby DogHouse » April 28th, 2009, 8:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion. You don't happen to have a photo of where you're talking about? The depth of my inabilities here would astound you -- so I need all the visual clues I can get! In the meantime, I will poke around with my trusty screwdriver and see what I can find.
DogHouse

Postby Gordon » April 28th, 2009, 2:04 pm

DogHouse wrote:...You don't happen to have a photo of where you're talking about?...
I'll guess that Mike will not be able to provide a photo (unless he ferrets out one in another thread for you) because he has not added a 5XX Roomba to his fleet.

The item he refers to is the motor's speed-reduction gearing contained in the white housing attached to the motor at the end opposite the end with the pull-up sheave (pulley).

IMO, you will find no debris inside that gear assembly. I say that because you have the black-brush-deck CHM containing ball-bearings at the driven ends of brushes, and there will also be a compliant, white-foam (probably poly-ethylene foam) debris-seal between the white-casting which houses the speed-reduction gears and the black wall of the gear-case that contains the brush-drive gears at brush-ends.

Further, I think you will find the binding (which causes the 2-beep error to be sounded), you seek, will be in one or both of the ball bearings. All you may do to overcome that problem is to replace those bearings with new bearings. Such DIY bearing replacement will be beyond your admitted skill set, but vic7767 will be able to help you with that.

However, you may be able to satisfy yourself that the acclaimed "binding" really is in the bearing(s). All that is required to do that is to dismount from the black gear-case the two gears which have square-sockets in their hubs, then finger rotate the bearing ring that can be touched (if the bearing came out WITH the gear, you can turn the outer-ring, but if the bearing stayed with the deck, you will have to turn the inner-ring). When those bearings are new / clean, relative rings' rotation will be very smooth, and essentially frictionless.

Tell us how it turns out.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » April 28th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Here is a picture of the gears that Gordon referenced that are used in the black CHM and the newer Ball bearings that can be installed to replace the original sealed ball bearings with Shielded ball bearings. The smaller ball bearing that is used on the black rubber beater bar can be replaced by the owner without any modification. The larger ball bearing will require enlargement of the area that the bearing mounts into.
Attachments
CHM_Bearings.gif
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » April 28th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I was thinking the clicking sound was a bad gear tooth but it could be a bad bearing as Gordon suggested. Another way of testing it but it won't tell you what bearing is bad is to remove the small input gear (the one connected to the motor) then remove the shaft connected to the motor. Put the small gear back in and replace the gearbox cover. Now put in the large brush and spin it by hand. The gearbox should spin very free.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » April 28th, 2009, 2:54 pm

I have a few comments, suggestions regarding what you say below, Mike:
mfortuna wrote:I was thinking the clicking sound was a...
I would say any clicking sound heard from a stressed 5xx-CHM is due to the rapid reversal of the brush-motor, (causing it to clack against opposite limit-stops) as it attempts to shed some large object caught between brushes.
. Another way of testing it but it won't tell you what bearing is bad is to remove the small input gear (the one connected to the motor) then remove the shaft connected to the motor. ...
I was fooled by spinning brushes in place, even after I had taken all three idler gears (those on the fixed spindles) out of the gear-case.

I have found it easier to remove those idlers than to dismount the brush-motor to do anything with it, since on the deck I messed with, I also had to dismount the Dirt-Detect's EMI-shield, and fiddle with its hooked harness, to slide the motor away from its mounted position!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » April 28th, 2009, 2:59 pm

On the 5XX CHMs, the clicking sound is caused by the MCU detecting excessive current being consumed by the brush motor and in an effort to resolve the condition the motor direction is reversed momentarily. This causes the clicking sound that is heard.

This can be verified by inserting something between the two CHM brushes that will prevent them from spinning and send your Roomba on a cleaning mission. You will hear the clicking noise several times prior to the "Clean the brushes" error announcement.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » April 28th, 2009, 3:05 pm

vic7767 wrote:.... The larger ball bearing will require enlargement of the area that the bearing mounts into.
vic7767, I was searching at BocaBearings and found this sealed 17x23x4 BBrg:
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx? ... MR6703-2RS
at $28 each (S&H = 0). If a DIY'er compares the extra cost of ~25$ to the hassle of enlarging the gear-case hole to fit a larger-OD, cheaper BBrg, s/he might find this plug & play option appealing. I even might!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » April 28th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Nice find Gordon. It would be better to swap out the two stock bearings with the Sealed bearing from vendors links that you and I have provided than attempting to enlarge the existing hole for the larger brush. My bearing and mod fees along with shipping fees will be just about a break even cost.

Those folks that don't want to open up their CHM to replace the bearings can still entertain the option of using the mod service I can provide for the Black CHM as well as mods to the Red CHM and Green CHM.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » April 28th, 2009, 9:09 pm

This is not a diss against vic7677. All of my 400 series bearing kits that I bought from him have a shielded large bearing for the main brush. One out of 5 kits had a shielded bearing for the beater bar. The other 4 were sealed.

So far I have had no issues with the shielded bearings. Four of my bots have the pet style end caps that prevent hair from reaching the bearing. One red and my Disco lack this feature. But yet I have minimal issues due to pet hair. And with 2 cats and a dog I have pet hair!

I know there have been many different brush designs on the 500 series. It looks like the 500 series CHM suffers more from pet hair than the 400 series.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby kokomojuggler » February 12th, 2010, 6:11 am

I also had "bad"bearings. I tried cleaning them and lubing them to no avail. I ended up putting them back on the gear and spinning them with a drill press, while holding the bearing w/ pliers. Now my roomba works great!

Praise God!
Mike
kokomojuggler

Postby mfortuna » February 12th, 2010, 7:24 am

You should look into replacing the bearings as they will probably act up again. And what you may have done is actually shave down the gear slightly so it now spins within the inner bearing race.

You could try to remove one shield to expose the bearing interiors and then use a spray cleaner to remove the debris. Electric motor parts cleaner or brake cleaner would work. Then lube the bearing and replace it so the remaining shield faces towards the brushes. You can remove the shield by carefully prying it out with an exacto knife. This will destroy the shield but you will still have the other shield. You can also remove and replace the shield by prying out the tiny circlip but that takes practice.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » February 12th, 2010, 12:24 pm

You can also have the Black CHM retrofitted with sealed bearings. BTW, I no longer offer shielded bearing mods, all mods are with Sealed bearings now.

vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat