Best Roomba In Your Opinion?

This forum is dedicated to discussion about issues concerning customers who are outside the continental US. Where to buy, warranty and shipping issues, and all other questions about robots outside the United States go here.

Best Roomba In Your Opinion?

Postby Angel153 » August 25th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Hello, first post, so pls bear with me if anything I ask has already been covered elsewhere :-)

I want to buy a Roomba, and have been trawling through different sites and YouTube checking them out. I thought I'd go for a 530, because I don't really care about the scheduling option, but have seen the YouTube vids about the gear box issues (which I've seen on this forum too). Now I think my favourite is the Discovery XE, the one with the remote and self-docking station and a bigger bin than the originals or the Pro Elite, but a list I found of model numbers shows the XE to be a 5 series - so does this one also have gear box issues too?

We have a cat that sheds, and if cat hair is going to be a problem then cynical BF might get his way and manage to talk me out of getting one of these cool bots!

I want one for several reasons:
1. I'm recovering from breast cancer, and the chemo and radiotherapy plus hormone treatments have left me exhausted beyond belief, certainly too knackered to do anyt housework.
2. BF won't hoover unless his parents are coming to stay, or unless we have a viewing scheduled on the house (only been on the market since last May!)
3. Current upright hoover is an old original Dyson, a DC01, which BF has very difficult relationship with. Dyson always breaks down when he uses it, BF swears and takes hammer to it, Dyson comes back to life eventually. Dyson inexplicably just stopped working on Friday. Worked in one room, unplugged it, plugged into bedroom, nothing. Found BF in familiar Swearing At Dyson mode, feared for Dysons life and got him to calm down. And no, it wasn't the fuse or the plug or the socket. After I'd found out about Roombas online, Dyson came back to life again. I'm actually quite attached to my Dyson, BUT it still needs pushing around!

In theory then, a Roomba would be a perfect solution for me - even if it didn't do absolutely as thorough a job as a conventional hoover, it would be enough to have the hoovering just kept on top of, so that we don't have a mammoth cleaning task ahead whenever our estate agent calls up and tells us we have a viewing the next day (bless, NOT!).

So, which one is the most reliable? Which do any of you prefer? How prevalent is this 5 series gear box issue? What should I do????? lol

Thanks in advance,
....all because the lady can't be arsed to clean....
:-D
Angel153

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 2:25 pm

...Anyone?

Are you all on holiday, or have I inadvertently breached some Roomba Review code of ethics that renders my post non-reply-able ? :shock:

Would really appreciate your thoughts here as to which is the best/most reliable Roomba.

Cheers all :D
Angel153

Postby Fraggboy » August 27th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Angel153,

How were you able to post?! I thought we closed up RoombaReview to new members?!?! :lol: Seriously, everyone here is a volunteer. They might have been on a vaca, or something else.

This will get mixed feelings on what series is the best. IMHO, I like the 5xx series, preferably the 560. Most of the 5xx series are the same under the hood. Only real difference is the accessories/color. The lower 5xx's can't be scheduled, or use a remote(510). I have 2 cats and my Roomba picks up the cat hair with no issues, including their messy habits (Slinging around cat litter).

Some say that the Discoveries(Older 4xxx Series) are more reliable, etc.. I did like my Discovery, but I also liked the new feature the 5xx brought to the table. The 5xx's do have the issue with hair getting into the gear box. Vic7767 has created a modification that will prevent gear wear, and preventing hair from entering gearbox. Granted, you are voiding your warranty.. So, that is a trade-off. The older 4xxx's had the same issue.

I would find one local if you can(Warranty, and exchange if necessary).

Other's mileage will vary, and hopefully there will be others chiming in soon.. Sorry we have taken so long..

Shhhhh!! Were all asleep!! :lol:
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby G3LHQ » August 27th, 2008, 4:06 pm

NO NO NO
Don't get a 5xxx series (sorry Chris)

Get one or two of these Roomba 4xxx series
It's model No: is 5545 silver same as Domotec DVU00018

Bob
Attachments
DVU0018.jpg
DVU0018.jpg (6.28 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Last edited by G3LHQ on August 27th, 2008, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hire a teenager, while they still know everything.
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Thanks Chris :D

Umm, dunno really, I just went through the "join up here" stuff, and here I am!

I would be interested in Vic7767's mod, as I think I'll be getting a 2nd hand one anyway, so voiding warranty not really an issue. Has anyone passed it on to the poor chap on YouTube? Pink something, his name is, and he looks sooooo sad that his roomba has died with a melted gear box. Would probably make his day if he could fix it up.

Thanks for the repy - sorry I woke you!
Angel153

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Hello Bob,

Ok, now I'm properly confused !!!! - isn't a Roomba with model number 5545 a 5 series by definition? Being as it starts with a five? Or is there some other way of determining the different series?

So is the 5247 Roomba XE Discovery (blue) a five series or not? The 5545 seems to be the one above the 5247 but not an XE and silver not blue.

I'm probably just being dense here, but I'd assumed that the models starting with 4 were the four series, and the 5's were the 5's....... model numbers here ..
http://www.proproomrobotics.co.uk/acata ... mbers.html

Still probbaly being dim here too, but if this is a recognised problem, why haven't irobot sorted it out? Or is it one of those erratic, Friday afternoon machine probs?

Thanks!
Nikki
Angel153

Postby G3LHQ » August 27th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Thanks for the chart which is correct
5545 Roomba Discovery Series Silver
------------------------------------------------------
5545 is the UK model number the american model is something like 4123
so it is the latest 41xx series & NOT a 500 series
they are ?113.00 inc p&p I have three of the babies they have been playing about in my house for 9 months without any problems.

Roomba have a very wierd way when it comes to designating model numbers
as you will find out.
Bob
edit........
Sorry Nikki forgot to answer the question
The Discovery's are all 4xxx series
Last edited by G3LHQ on August 27th, 2008, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Bob :-D

So what series is the XE ?

Nikki
Angel153

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Thanks Bob :-)

So, in theory then, do these 4 series ones not suffer from the gear box issue and hair clogging thing that the new 5 series and older 4 series do? Or am I being overly optimistic?

Did you do the mod on yours - I see you have a hairy dog, so presumably Huey Louie and Dewey have a lot of hair to pick up?

Thanks again,
Nikki
Angel153

Postby G3LHQ » August 27th, 2008, 5:19 pm

Hi Nikki
dunno
I don't think the XE is available in the UK ?????????
Bob
edit-------No they have not needed the bearing mod ..just a little mod of my own (see my posts)

Bob
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Sorry Bob, me again!

Where did you get yours for ?113 inc p&P from?

Thanks,
Nikki
Angel153

Postby G3LHQ » August 27th, 2008, 5:37 pm

G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby Angel153 » August 27th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Thanks again Bob :-)

So your mod is cutting off 1cm of the beater and wrapping similar width of tape round the bristles ? (that's what I've managed to find by way of your posts, or are there other mods you've done?) I'm rubbish at this sort of stuff, so your advice and evident expertise is much appreciated :-D

Is there any other way of sealing off the gear box gap?

Cheers,
Nikki

PS Thanks for the sales link, too.
Angel153

Postby G3LHQ » August 27th, 2008, 6:48 pm

HI again
I thought that you might have bought one by now.?
Glad you found the mod I took the tape off I found that it was not needed.
By cutting the 1cm of rubber from the drive end of the beater bar the hair buildup was much reduced and the hair did not enter the drive mech,
As I said earlyago (my grandaughter uses that phrase.) :D
I have had the units 9 months .I have bought from the states a remote control unit and a docking station and a set of pet brushes.
they are not available in the UK.
I will NOT be getting a 500 series .
good luck
Bob
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby Todemesne » August 29th, 2008, 3:32 am

I'd recommend the Discovery series too. You can't beat that ?113 price anywhere at the moment.

My reason for recommending the cheapest roomba is that if they are not maintained they will break down. All I do is empty the bin and filter after every use. I can't be bothered to mess about any further. I have had four Roombas over the last few years and they have all needed replacing under warranty at least once (some 4 times.)

With that said the warranty service here in the UK is the best I have ever encountered for a product.

I plan to replace one every year and if it keeps going for say eighteen months then that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. ?113 a year is a lot better than paying for a cleaner.

Nearly all my Roombas die from the brush motor failing. I have two cats and mostly carpet which doesn't help. I am tempted to try the new 500 series but until the gearbox issue is resolved I don't think the extra cost is worth it.

Unless you are prepared to get stuck in I wouldn't recommend a second hand Roomba. Without the warranty cover I personally don't think a Roomba is worth buying.
Todemesne
Robot Addict

Postby Todemesne » August 29th, 2008, 3:58 am

Okay, I forgot to add that my Roombas run every day, sometimes twice in the kitchen area. With two messy cats this enables me to keep a level of cleanliness that I could never achieve with my Dyson.

With that amount of use I am not really surprised that my Roombas die an early death. :twisted:
Todemesne
Robot Addict

Postby Angel153 » August 29th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Thanks for that, Todmesne, I see your point completely. Just wish my other half would! He thinks I'm about to waste my money whilst I think I'm saving time, energy, and the money I would spend on a cleaner if we could afford one.

I've got one cat, and one huge (30'x13') hard floor, plus hard floor long passage way (Victorian tiles) and vinyl kitchen floor, all of which get madly dusty and I find impossible to keep clean. I'm also allergic to dust, which doesn't help, and sweeping up with a broom just spreads a lot of it around. Even if I only use a Roomba for those areas alone, it will still be a massive help to me. The kitchen floor especially needs to be kept clean, because, being as we're out in the sticks, we attract hopeful mice in the winter as long as there are crumbs on the floor for longer than a nano-second! :shock:

Are Roomba warranties transferrable if the original owner sells it on within the warranty period? The one I'm hoping to buy is still in warranty.

Thanks for your comments - I agree also about the gear box issue, can't see the point of the extra cost for something that is doomed to self-destruct! (I had a similar thing when my Dyson broke down two weeks after I'd bought it new, back when the DC01 was the latest thing - they tried to fob me off by telling me that the cat fur had caused it to break down, so wasn't covered under warranty, until I pointed out that they advertised the thing as being perfect for getting rid of cat hair, so what was the point of a machine whose design prevented it from doing what it advertised? :roll: They fixed it after that!)

Cheers,
Nikki.
Angel153

Postby Todemesne » August 30th, 2008, 5:30 am

Roombas are excellent for keeping hard floors clean. We have tile in our kitchen/diner and utility, and laminate in the hall. Our Roomba keeps them spotless and we don't have any of that nasty cat litter tracking all over the place like we used to. The Roomba roams the open plan downstairs area in the morning and if I spot any litter in our utility area (where the litter tray belongs) at any time during the day I set Roomba off again and close the door. It is only a small area and Roomba cleans it in 15 minutes. And then in the evenings after we have prepared a meal I sometimes set the Roomba off a third time just in the kitchen to pick up stray bits of rice or onion that we have dropped and even more dreaded cat litter.

The point I am really making is I would NEVER get the Dyson out of the cupboard this many times in a day! and now I am addicted to spotless floors!

With regards your warranty question, I am not sure. Whenever I have phoned Domotec (all UK Roombas are repaired by them) they ask for a copy of the receipt and they arrange for a courier at their cost. You could give them a ring I suppose. The service dept people are very friendly.

Here is the number: 01249 813835

I'd still advise against buying second-hand though. If you do make sure you can test it out before you buy. They can have many faults, like charging problems, damaged sensors that make them act strangely or just be plain knackered. Also the battery can be worn out and not last for more than a few minutes.
Good luck!
Todemesne
Robot Addict

Return to International Robotics Forum