Roomba 560 - main brushes not spinning

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 560 - main brushes not spinning

Postby Bisquit » September 14th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I did a "deep clean" of my roomba today, it had started clicking so I took it apart and it was full of gunk all around the gear box. I blew that loose with canned air and then put it all back together. Now my main brushes do not spin. I took the bin out and watched and they did not spin. I did the reset thing by holding the dock and spot buttons down, still no spin. I ran the welcome to my roomba demo and when it talked about the brushes and vacuum part, there was no response from the roomba. The side brush spun happily.

I took the brush assembly out again, (the 4 screws) and replaced it and it seems to fit in fine, all the screws go in securely. I am so sad... I love my roomba. Any suggestions? I have had the roomba since last Christmas, so not a year yet. I got it from Costco.
Bisquit

Postby vic7767 » September 14th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Have you cleaned the insides of the Cleaning Head Module, brush gear assembly. It could be preventing the brush motor from operating due to debris inside like this:

Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Bisquit » September 14th, 2008, 3:45 pm

I have already seen your post with that picture, on my roomba i cannot find that part. The brush assembly is one big blue piece and the only other thing i can find with gears like that is the part that handles the side brush and that was working fine.

I have just returned from exchanging my roomba at Costco - that was super easy so now I have a brand new one charging in the kitchen. But for future reference, does anyone have any idea why my brushes stopped spinning? I don't think i will ever use it on carpet other than Berber again because it works fine when I just leave it on my hardwoods and linoleum....
Bisquit

Postby vic7767 » September 14th, 2008, 3:57 pm

There are two conditions that cause the brushes not to spin. One ia a cold solder joint on the paddle board connector of the Cleaning Head Assembly and the other end that connects to the brush motor may also suffer from the same condition. Here is where the part is that you couldn't find:
Attachments
CHM.gif
CHM.gif (164.6 KiB) Viewed 41626 times

vic7767
Robot Master

I had the identical problem

Postby valoriez » September 26th, 2008, 5:34 pm

I found your pictures very useful in getting into the gears, which I cleaned and lubed with some gear oil we had. Everything is clean, and seems to turn easily, I can see the motor turning when I turn the brushes manually, but they do not turn when I turn Roomba on. :(

When I run the intro program, the vacuum NOR brushes turn on. :(

I pushed the reset, but nothing seemed to happen. Which two buttons is it?

Finally, where is the "cold solder joint on the paddle board connector of the Cleaning Head Assembly". This is the second time the brushes have stopped turning -- last time the company sent me a new cleaning head assembly. But it took quite awhile, and I would prefer to repair it myself if at all possible!

Thanks,
Valorie
valoriez

Postby nutrexercus » September 27th, 2008, 10:41 am

Bisquit wrote:I have just returned from exchanging my roomba at Costco - that was super easy so now I have a brand new one charging in the kitchen. But for future reference, does anyone have any idea why my brushes stopped spinning? I don't think i will ever use it on carpet other than Berber again because it works fine when I just leave it on my hardwoods and linoleum....

You've had it nearly a year and returned it? That's very nice! I don't really know the return policy of Costco, I just assumed 90 days or so, but is it returnable up to one year at Costco with original receipt? I've had my 550 for about a week, and it's doing stellar so far. Very good to know if Costco holds this kind of policy.
nutrexercus

Re: I had the identical problem

Postby valoriez » September 27th, 2008, 9:18 pm

valoriez wrote:I found your pictures very useful in getting into the gears, which I cleaned and lubed with some gear oil we had. Everything is clean, and seems to turn easily, I can see the motor turning when I turn the brushes manually, but they do not turn when I turn Roomba on. :(

When I run the intro program, the vacuum NOR brushes turn on. :(

I pushed the reset, but nothing seemed to happen. Which two buttons is it?

Tried the reset again, and I was just too impatient. It did reset, with no improvement. Also, to clarify -- during the intro program, everything but the vacuum and main brushes works. The side brush does work, and it moves correctly.

Finally, where is the "cold solder joint on the paddle board connector of the Cleaning Head Assembly". This is the second time the brushes have stopped turning -- last time the company sent me a new cleaning head assembly. But it took quite awhile, and I would prefer to repair it myself if at all possible!

Thanks,
Valorie
valoriez

Postby vic7767 » September 28th, 2008, 1:01 am

The cold solder joint that is referred to can be anywhere in the electrical path for the brush motor. It can be at the paddle board connector on the CHM plastic frame or even at the other end of the wired cable where the wires terminate into the brush motor.

vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Roomba 560 - main brushes not spinning

Postby crisbolle » November 30th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Our dear Roomba had the same problem. I tested the main brush motor, put all back together and now it works.
Here is what I did:
(I hope somebody takes some pictures of the procedure and posts them)
1. Remove the side brush, one screw.
2. remove the bottom cover, four large head screws.
3. Remove the main brush unit. It is held in place by four small screws.
4. Turn the brushes by hand and see if the motor turns. Mine did. You can peek into the motor through a slot in it's side
and see the coils turn. If it turns your gear box is Ok. The gear box should be cleaned and oiled every few months, dust and hairs et into it! It's painful but cheaper than getting a whole new Roomba.
5. Close to one corner of the main brush unit you will find the male plug (it's actually an electric circuit board) that connects to the Roomba. You want to look at the solder connections to see if they're OK. You have to remove the long plastic side cover to do this. The cover is held in place by a total of 7 screws, three on one side and four in the corners. The corner screws have two sizes, don't get them mixed up.
6. After removing the long cover you will see two thick and three thin wires connected to the circuit board. The thick ones (red and black) go to the motor. The three thin ones are for that whatever sensor.
7. Check the solder joints for loose stuff. Not my case.
8. With a tester check the resistance between the motor wires as you move the brushes and motor. The resistance should go down to a few ohm as the motor brushes connect to the coils. As you move the brushes you will see the resistance shoot up.
9. Remove the battery from the Roomba. It has two large round contacts (power) and two small ones (for monitoring the charging process). I used the tester wires to connect the battery power (large round contacts on the battery) to the solder joint of the motor wires (thick wires, red and green in my case). You will need an extra pair of hand for this one. My motor spun happily.
10. Put all back together and then it just worked for me.

Good luck!

Cris
crisbolle

Postby vic7767 » November 30th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I did neglect to mention one additional cause for the CHM brush motor not spinning. Due to debris that can enter the motor through the ventilation holes will also cause the motor not to run. You can attempt to blow out the brush motor with an air compressor or canned air in an attempt to remove the debris and at the same time spin the motor shaft. Then you can connect a 9volt battery to test your efforts. Or, as crisbolle has done connect the Roomba battery to the motor. Caution should be observed since the Roomba battery is quite powerful.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby hyjoin » January 4th, 2009, 11:33 pm

mark
hyjoin

Postby wendigo » January 5th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Have got almost the same problem starting today with my 560.
Everything works except the main brushes.

Did a reset and the brushes worked for about 30 sec.
That was the only time they worked even after 10 resets.
Did also clean inside as described above (including the gearbox) without any change.

Any idees what to do ?
Thanx
wendigo

Postby DBCubix » January 5th, 2009, 4:48 pm

wendigo wrote:Have got almost the same problem starting today with my 560.
Everything works except the main brushes.

Did a reset and the brushes worked for about 30 sec.
That was the only time they worked even after 10 resets.
Did also clean inside as described above (including the gearbox) without any change.

Any idees what to do ?
Thanx

Try checking for loose wires to the brush motor and determine whether the brush motor is trying to spin (a problem perhaps with gearing or transmission), or not (a problem with the motor or power to it).
DBCubix
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » January 5th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Try flipping your Roomba upsidedown and turn the large brush by hand 15 or 20 times in one direction. Then place it in the demo mode or send it on a cleaning mission and see if the brushes will spin.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby wendigo » January 6th, 2009, 5:56 am

vic7767 wrote:Try flipping your Roomba upsidedown and turn the large brush by hand 15 or 20 times in one direction. Then place it in the demo mode or send it on a cleaning mission and see if the brushes will spin.

That worked for a while.
The roomba is working OK for about 10 - 15 min after that the main brushes stops again.
After spinning them manually backwards and forward a couple of times they usually spinns for a while again.
wendigo

Postby mfortuna » January 6th, 2009, 8:59 am

Sounds like a bad or very dirty motor. You may have a winding out which means reduced power and increased heat.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » January 6th, 2009, 11:30 am

You might consider using compressed air to blow out the debris from inside your Roombas brush motor. That is the most effective way to clean it out.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » January 6th, 2009, 11:56 am

Another way to clean a motor involves electrical parts cleaner/motor spray which are available at an autoparts or hobby store. Blow the motor out with compressed air, then spray electrical parts cleaner in the vent holes and the bushing ends. Spray until the liquid coming out looks clean. Then hit it again with compressed air. The last step is to put a couple drops of light oil on each bushing.

Post test/running with a 9 volt battery is a good idea after cleaning. If you run the motor for 3 minutes unloaded it will help improve the brush/commutator surfaces.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby wendigo » January 6th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Wohoo now he is alive again.
After a couple of tries to manually turning the brushes for a while and then and run it it is now running perfectly and has for hours :D
Thanx for the help.
wendigo

Postby bobbybrown » January 7th, 2009, 5:02 pm

stripping it down and blowing it out worked for me too. All of a sudden my roomba 560 brushes stopped spinning for no reason. So I opened it up, to find a load of dust by the motor and circuit board - so I cleaned that out, put it back together and bingo - working roomba !!! :D
bobbybrown

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat