new roomba won't stop!

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

new roomba won't stop!

Postby roombarumba » January 10th, 2009, 9:27 am

I've just got a new Roomba 560 and after charging up the battery all night let it clean one room. After about 15mins of cleaning (it had only covered half the room) it docked itself. As the job wasn't done, I set it going again and then it cleanined the room continuously for 2 hours until I stopped it manually. The dock light was flashing green on the roomba and it didn't seem to be trying to dock, it was just cleaning away where it had been before.

(To set it going I pressed the clean button twice, as instructed in the manual.)

What happened?
I haven't found the answer in my manual or online. Please can you help?

TIA
roombarumba

Re: new roomba won't stop!

Postby Fraggboy » January 10th, 2009, 10:16 am

roombarumba,
Welcome.JPG
Welcome.JPG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

Was the Roomba close to the dock when the Dock light was flashing? When the Roomba is off of the dock, is the power light on the dock? What about when you manually place the Roomba on the dock, does the Docked light up on the dock as well (2 green lights)?

What you can do is use an LCD camera, and point it at the dock IR window and look through it on the LCD screen. You should see 2 white lights in the window(Roomba off of the dock). You should see a faint white light on the 360 degree "Turret" (Button on top of the Dock). You might have a faulty Dock and/or Roomba.

It is normal for the Roomba to cover the same area a few times to cover the whole zone.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby roombarumba » January 10th, 2009, 10:35 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Fraggboy wrote:Was the Roomba close to the dock when the Dock light was flashing?

Yes

When the Roomba is off of the dock, is the power light on the dock?

Yes

What about when you manually place the Roomba on the dock, does the Docked light up on the dock as well (2 green lights)?

Yes

What you can do is use an LCD camera, and point it at the dock IR window and look through it on the LCD screen. You should see 2 white lights in the window(Roomba off of the dock). You should see a faint white light on the 360 degree "Turret" (Button on top of the Dock). You might have a faulty Dock and/or Roomba.

I can't see any light when I try this, but the Roomba has successfully docked itself a couple of times - so I don't think there is a problem here.

It is normal for the Roomba to cover the same area a few times to cover the whole zone.

I understand that, but the manual suggests about 25 minutes for an "average sized room". The roomba was still running after 2 hours in a room with less than 30 square metres of accessible floorspace.
roombarumba

Postby vic7767 » January 10th, 2009, 11:45 am

You could try and perform a system reset, then send it on another cleaning mission. If it still spends more than 45 minutes on cleaning the area, contact IRobot for a warranty replacement.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Morgan » January 12th, 2009, 11:38 am

On the plus side, you seem to have received a very good battery (2 hours and 15 minutes on the first charge!)

I'm not sure what's going on. It sounds to me like the robot did see the dock at some point during the second cleaning mission, because if it never sees it, the "dock" light doesn't flash. Did you start it from the dock both times?

If the reset doesn't fix things, try starting it in the middle of the room and see whether the dock light flashes after a reasonable amount of time (ignore the "25 minutes" rule, and just let it run - things like the shape of the room and number of obstructions in it can make the "correct" run time vary. It will run for 45 minutes in my kitchen, which is about 20 square meters, as it works its way around chairs and things, so up to an hour might just be what its internal algorithm decides is appropriate for your space). If the dock light does flash, then it is seeing the dock, but is not, for some reason, able to find and mate with it. You might try moving the dock (if there is another convenient place to put it) and checking for obstructions to docking.

If the dock light does not start to flash when you start it in the middle of the room, Roomba is not seeing the dock's signal at all, which indicates that the dock is not sending the signal or your robot is blind to it. That would call for a return and replacement pronto.

I guess there could also be something stuck to the dock's beacon or the Roomba's sensor (little knobs on top).
Why doesn't the Looj get the love it deserves?
Morgan
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat