iRobot announces the new Roomba Discovery series.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

iRobot announces the new Roomba Discovery series.

Postby robotreviews » July 10th, 2004, 12:07 am

As expected, iRobot will soon be announcing a whole new line of Roomba robotic vacuums - the 'Discovery series'.

These totally redesigned Roombas will all contain a Dustbin that is 3x larger than previous models and a new dirt detection sensor that allows the Roomba to focus more cleaning time on dirtier areas. The flagship Discovery model will also automatically return to it's self-charging home base when it's battery is low, and charging time is now a reasonable 3 hours on all of the new models except for the entry level Roomba Red, which will have a 7 hour charging time.

All of the new models also come with a 1 year factory warranty standard.

The new models will be as follows:
Roomba Red (Model 4100) - MSRP $149.95
Roomba (4105)- MSRP $199.95
Roomba Discovery (4210) - MSRP $249.95
Roomba Discovery SE (4220) - MSRP $269.95

The new models should become available within the next few weeks.

I hope to have a new Roomba within the next couple of weeks, and will have a hands on review up as soon as possible.

***Update***

The Roomba Discovery SE is now available at Hammacher Schlemmer for $269.95. The advantage of purchasing the Discovery SE from Hammacher over iRobot is that you'll receive a lifetime guarantee on your new Roomba and you will also receive FREE shipping if you enter the code RMBREV in the box marked "Shopping from our catalog?" in your shopping bag prior to checkout. This free shipping offer is available exclusively through RoombaReview.com.

Here is the link to the new Roomba Discovery SE
Last edited by robotreviews on January 23rd, 2005, 8:01 pm, edited 11 times in total.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby Dynamike » July 10th, 2004, 5:36 pm

I just received 2 pre- order offers from Irobot for the new Roomba Discovery.
They also offer a Free Roomba Renewal kit (battery,brushes) with each purchase ,for my old Roombas.
I hope that the new Roomba is not all just Bells &Whistles.
I hope that the maintenance and reliability issues are addressed.
I have not seen any of the internals such as the brushes underneath so if any improvements have been made there is unknown.
Also I would think that the base station would have to be in the same room that you were cleaning for it to return to for charging.
The larger dust bin is nice and I also see that they have a new filter.
I own 2 Roombas now so I don't see another New Roomba for some time in the future.
Michael
Dynamike

Postby Randall » July 10th, 2004, 6:41 pm

If you watch the video on their site, you'll see that the brushes have been completely redesigned to allow for removing the entire assembly without the need to unscrew anything.

It still doesn't dump the dustbin, which was something I really would have liked to see, but the larger dustbin is a step in the right direction.

Other than that the new Discovery looks amazing. It basically looks like they added all of the features of the $1,500 robotic vacuums in at the same price as the current models!

Now we just have to hope that HSN and LNT get them in stock soon... ;)
Randall
Founding Member

Descrepencies in descriptions

Postby gardavis » July 11th, 2004, 11:00 am

The 2nd level Roomba description says there is 1 virtual wall and no charging home base but the comparison chart says the Roomba has 2 VWs and a home base charger.

The comparison chart is http://199.231.149.112/consumer/product_comparison.cfm

I assume the comparison chart is the one that is wrong :(

Gary
gardavis

Re: Descrepencies in descriptions

Postby Roger » July 12th, 2004, 10:39 am

gardavis wrote:The 2nd level Roomba description says there is 1 virtual wall and no charging home base but the comparison chart says the Roomba has 2 VWs and a home base charger.

The comparison chart is http://199.231.149.112/consumer/product_comparison.cfm

I assume the comparison chart is the one that is wrong :(

Gary

Gary,

As a disclaimer I work for iRobot as an Engineer. I noticed your post and found out that the product comparison is correct with the 4105 the Roomba including 2 Virtual Wall Units. I notified the webmaster the website is in the process being updated. Thank you for noticing the discrepancies, and take care.

-Roger
Roger
iRobot Engineer

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2004, 5:12 pm

So, from what I can tell all of the new Roombas are basically the same, except for color?

In other words, could I buy a Roomba Red, and then if I someday added all of the accessories it would become functionally identical to the Discovery SE?

Thanks
Jim

Sorry Just Can't Take The Easy Way Out

Postby Techfan » August 24th, 2004, 5:32 pm

Absolutely Not!

The Red doesn't have any of the programming enhancements, and added features.
I'd rather not spend a long time to explain in detail so I'll explain it this way...
If you want to take that way out you should get the next level, the Roomba in the Discovery Series usually refered to as Sage.

It has some of the programming improvements and has most of the benefits to compliment the new features (if you buy all the add-ons).

ALSO Do Note That The Red Takes 7 Hours To Charge Vs. 2 Hours Like The Rest Of Discovery.
Techfan

Postby Techfan » October 15th, 2004, 9:19 pm

For anyone just coming to this site for the first time who doesn't know about why I wrote that, just note that that information is obsolete. Please ignore my previous post. ALL Roomba Discovery Series Roomba's have EXACTLY the same programming.

Sorry for any confusion.

Seth

P.S. You can read about the differences in all the new models in other threads on this website. (Also, the charging times that I stated are correct)
Techfan

To SE or not

Postby litamartin » November 20th, 2004, 7:31 am

Hi, I was wondering, what the difference between the Roomba discovery and the Roomba discovery SE?? Is it just the color and price? :?
litamartin

Postby Rick » November 21st, 2004, 1:16 am

The Discovery SE has a nicer paint job, but it also comes with the fast charging wall mount. The regular Discovery comes with the regular wall mount.

That's the main difference. That and you can get the lifetime warranty on the Discovery SE from Hammacher Schlemmer, none of the retailers that sell the regular Discovery offer the lifetime warranty.

Rick
Rick

Extra charger for Discovery SE

Postby litamartin » November 21st, 2004, 3:57 am

Hi, I just ordered the Roomba discovery SE :!: Are the Roomba chargers the same one for all models? I am thinking of getting an extra charger for the DiscoverySE so it will find its way back to a charger when the battery is low. I don't want it to get stuck somewhere. Do you think this is a good idea to spend the extra $49. :?: Thanks
litamartin

Postby Vavavoom » November 22nd, 2004, 3:56 pm

Do you mean the home base?

Either way, all of the new models use the same accessories. So if you order a second home base, or charger it will work fine with any of the Discovery models.
Vavavoom

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2004, 9:42 pm

so if you have a roomba red and a discovery, the red and discovery can attach to the homebase? (not at the same time obviously)

Postby Vavavoom » November 23rd, 2004, 8:34 am

Anonymous wrote:so if you have a roomba red and a discovery, the red and discovery can attach to the homebase? (not at the same time obviously)

Yup, they will.
Vavavoom

Postby Techfan » December 1st, 2004, 4:50 pm

Two Roomba's cannot recharge at the same Home Base at one time.

All Discovery Series Roomba models come with the same Home Base.
The Home Base is a first generation accessory, it does not come with the original Roomba models.

All Discovery Series Roomba's come with the same model/type of accessory item. The difference in the accessories that come with the Roomba is which accessories it comes with. The more expensive the model you purchase, the more accessories come with it.

The only exception is that the Discovery SE comes with a Self-Charging Wall Mount, while the others come with a standard Wall Mount.
The Self-Charging Wall Mount uses the same Smart-Charging technology used in the Home Base.

Seth
Techfan

Roomba, different types

Postby J.R. » January 23rd, 2005, 7:30 pm

What is the difference between the SE and the model 4220?

Amazon.com doesn't say and I am considering one of these 'gobots'.
J.R.

Postby Rick » January 23rd, 2005, 7:58 pm

The Discovery SE is the 4220. The regular Discovery is the 4210, and it comes with a regular wall mount. The 4220 comes with the charging wall mount.

Rick
Rick

Roomba Discovery SE $$ discrepancy

Postby taybon » April 12th, 2005, 2:29 pm

:? listed here on the Roomba Review (http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=111)
it states that at Hammacher Schlemmer it is priced at $269. On Hammacher Schlemmer website it shows the price at $299

Which is correct? I assume the price on Hammacher Schlemmer website.
taybon

Postby JJ » April 12th, 2005, 2:50 pm

It's $299 now. iRobot raised the MSRP on the Roomba Discovery and the Discovery SE earlier this month.
JJ

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2005, 12:52 pm

will this thing really go over carpet too. i have an area rug that is higher than the wood floor. will it go up on the carpet from the hardwood. carpet is probably 3/4 high.

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat