Filter Cleaning

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Filter Cleaning

Postby esk3 » February 5th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Is there some way to wash out a dirty filter? I put a clean one in the Roomba in the meantime, but I want to be able to clean it in some way. I don't want to blow dirty air around, but I don't want to waste filters.
Any method must not damage the filter, and I'm not particularly interested in taking it apart/putting in new material (like from a CD case).

Thanks.
esk3
Robot Groupie

Re: Filter Cleaning

Postby vic7767 » February 5th, 2009, 10:46 pm

I just remove the filter assembly from the dust bin and wash it under warm water and liquid dish soap. Then rinse good and let dry prior to another use.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby esk3 » February 5th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Thanks a lot!
I wasn't sure if water would damage the filter.

Do you eventually replace it (ie. when do you decide that it has decayed enough to completely trash it)?

Thanks again.
esk3
Robot Groupie

Postby jennis9 » February 5th, 2009, 11:03 pm

I know there's either a thread or an instructable on how to replace the filter paper. I have used the liner from a CD envelope and just pried the casing open and cut it and sandwiched it back together. Couldn't find the link... would love to give credit to that author. It works great.

I have also put mine in the dishwasher... top shelf and that works great too.
i don't do math
jennis9
Robot Groupie

Postby Guinan » February 8th, 2009, 2:30 am

I too wash my filters with warm water and liquid soap once or twice a week. I haven't had my robots long enough to replace the filter yet but I plan to replace them about every two months as per the manual.

I found that you can buy them on ebay for much less. I bought a dozen of them for around $12.99 shipped. They look the same as original minus the black trim.
** Bit by the robot bug Dec.2008**
You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Three dogs, a parrot, a wheelchair; a 535, 570 a Dirt Dog and Scooby too
Guinan
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » February 8th, 2009, 7:19 am

I just shake my filters out after each mission. I don't see the need to wash them. I get a least a year out of a filter.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby jetsonian » February 9th, 2009, 3:11 pm

The nice thing about using water is it keeps the dirt from going airborne. I cover the entire filter with hand soap foam, wait until dirt/filter are saturated, and then rinse clean. I have to think that helps in the dust battle...
jetsonian

Postby chrisinoz » February 9th, 2009, 9:09 pm

I vacuum mine after each use and from time to time reverse blow it out with compressed air (outside) 60psi is pretty good !
chrisinoz

Postby mfortuna » February 9th, 2009, 9:28 pm

I guess I am a clean freak but I have stopped short of using a vacuum, water, or dishwasher to clean vacuum parts. Dumping the dust bin in the trash creates as much dust as tapping a filter on the side of a trash can, IMHO.

This is just my opinion. Please do what you want to keep your house clean. I am trying to do the bare minimum to keep mine clean.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby June » February 10th, 2009, 6:06 am

I use a handheld Dyson vacuum to clean the dirt bin and filter - sometimes I tap them over the trash can, but then I usually end up with dust flying about, so most of the time I use the handheld vacuum to empty and clean the Roombas. I used to use the built in central vacuum, but taking out the vacuum hose every day to clean the ROombas was too much of a hassle, so I got the Dyson handheld just for the Roombas :) Using a vacuum gets out the fine dust from the filter so it isn't clogged and keeps it looking nice.

I've washed the filters maybe once or twice a year, otherwise vacuum them almost daily. And I have not replaced the filters at all (and my oldest Roomba is a little over 2 years old I think) they look perfectly nice and are not torn or anything. I occasionally compare the old filter fabric to a brand new one, thinking I'll replace when the fabric is starting to look thinner/more "holey", but so far they look about the same.
June
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » February 16th, 2009, 5:31 am

:agree: with June; vaccum it clean. After more than a year of running my 560 four to six days a week, my original filter still looks fine. In fact I religiously vaccum my entire robot after every mission. Friends laugh when I tell them that I need three vaccums: One to clean the house (Roomba), one to clean the Roomba (my old upright), and one to clean the upright (my Shop Vac). :lol:
Due to the cleaning required to keep a Roomba in peak operating condition, anyone that thinks one will save them time is sadly delusional (or a noob). No, the only reason to own a Roomba is for its robot-like efficiency and thoroughness (pun totally intended).
But back to the vaccuming-thing; as any old bicycle mechanic knows: Cleanliness is better than Godliness. The reason I use a vaccum to clean my vaccum (Roomba) is that short of completely dismantling something to clean it, the best way to remove contaminants is the same way they got in. Using compressed air to "blow out" components runs the risk of merely driving the contaminants further into the works. The vaccum draws contaminants out of the Roomba along the path I know they used to enter it. Kind of a "Path of Least Resistance" thing.
Dave
George Jetson

Postby mfortuna » February 16th, 2009, 7:35 am

So what do you use to clean the shop vac? :)
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby chrisinoz » February 17th, 2009, 12:11 am

:agree: The subject is filter cleaning, in particular I am talking about the yellow framed one in the 530. The dust and dirt accumulates on one side only. If you apply compressed air the opposite side (outside the machine, the house, workshop etc) at a greater rate of airflow flow than it was put there ipso facto the dirt will dissipate; vaccum it first then blow it out.

BTW I agree if you blow air into the machine you will blow in any dirt already there in further unless there is a point of egress in which case not. :)
chrisinoz

Postby roombaba » February 17th, 2009, 1:44 am

For cleaning the filter I use the brush that came with my Roomba 530 (Pet Series). I'm not sure this is bundled with all Roombas or not, it's got a pink plastic handle and tray and white plastic brushes. I find it works very well for cleaning the filters, at least it looks very clean to me. But depending on the relative humidity in the air where you live, this method could produce airborne dust. Where I live, humidity is constantly high, so dust will usually stick together and not become airborne too much (probably the only good thing about high humidity).
roombaba

Postby George Jetson » February 17th, 2009, 4:44 am

Mike,
I draw the line at cleaning the Shop Vac. Once the canister is full, I throw the whole thing out and buy a new one...which I believe is the originally intended maintenance plan iRobot had for the Roomba. :lol:
All kidding aside, I know my robot's care and cleaning routine is more anal than most. But as anyone who has spent any amount of time inside a Roomba knows, it is not the most well thought-out design in the world. My regular cleaning routine has three goals: 1) To extend the amount of time between the mind and finger-numbing total disassembly overhauls. 2) To extend the life of my Roomba's components as long as possible. 3) To make my Roomba as efficient as possible for as long as possible.
As I said, I long ago gave up the fantasy of gaining two hours of extra leisure time each week while my miraculous vacuuming robot cleaned my house. Instead, I now appreciate how well my robot cleans (important to me as my daughter suffers from mild allergies) and do everything in my power to keep her running as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Dave
George Jetson

Postby mfortuna » February 17th, 2009, 7:37 am

I told this story before but I think it is cute enough to repeat. I had a boss who was clean to the point of OCD. She told us she used to vacuum the house naked, vacuum the first vacuum with a second vacuum, and then take a shower. She was supposed to make coffee for her boyfriend one night but instead ended up cleaning the kitchen for a hour.

I think a lot of us are clean freaks (myself included) and we suffer various degrees of it. My daughter and I both have Asthma but yet we own a dog and two cats. The roombas certainly help keep the pet hair at bay.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » February 17th, 2009, 7:47 am

mfortuna wrote:I think a lot of us are clean freaks (myself included) and we suffer various degrees of it.

:oops: :agree:
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

OCD?

Postby George Jetson » February 18th, 2009, 4:28 am

Mike,
You do mean "CDO" right? :lol:
And really, my Roomba cleaning habits sound worse than they are: Yes, I clean the Roomba with my old upright vacuum but only because I feel it is the best tool for the job. As for cleaning the upright with the Shop Vac, I was doing that long before my bot came along. The upright has a semi-permanent pleated filter and the only way to get the munge out of the pleats is with - drum roll please - another vac. I obviously could just clean my Roomba with the Shop Vac but I keep it - in the (unheated) shop - whereas I perform all of my maintenance routines in the comfort of my wife's (heated) laundry room. :roll:
Dave
George Jetson

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat