My sad Scooba history, 3rd robot coming

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

My sad Scooba history, 3rd robot coming

Postby Krillo » July 2nd, 2009, 3:57 am

Hi all,

I am an avid robot fan, currently on my 2nd Roomba (very happy here) but now expecting my 3rd Scooba (not so happy here).

My Scooba story started with a 340 purchased at Costco about a year ago. I live in Sweden som I had to haul that succer on a long haul flight, but I was happy to do it. I think my 340 model lasted about 10 missions before it just wouldn't work anymore. I think I got to enjoy my 340 for about 5 missions when it started to fail in charging with 4 beeps from the Scooba. After contacting support they said 4 beeps was an unresolvable charger issue and offered a 5816 replacement. I always had concerns about this since it seems like the 5816 is very similar to the older 5800 models (and performance). iRobot always refuted these concerns and claimed it was a replacement code for a 340 - who knows.

My replacement 5816 met its demise in another strange way. After about 5 missions the robot wouldn't turn on after charging. The battery would charge the whole 3 hour cycle but when disconnecting it for a cleaning the ON button did nothing. Plugging it in again started some additional charging but after that it still wouldn't work. I contacted iRobot who said the robot was faulty and have issued another 5816 which I am waiting for now.

Being on my 3rd Scooba I have started to be ridiculed by my wife and her American family for being a naive lover of crap robot products. I keep thinking they just don't understand robots :)
But really I am also getting a little tired of the apparent quality issues with the Scooba. But what makes me have hope is that there seem to be quite a few other users with good history of the Scooba.

I must ask myself, am I doing something wrong? I try to stick to the charging routine recommended. Charge after every cycle and after charge store the battery outside the Scooba if I dont have frequent cleaning. In Sweden, were I live, we have 240V instead of the US 120 but I use quality transformers that I usually get from Brookstone which are 85W computer rated step down transformers. I use these transformers for my Roomba who seems to enjoy them just fine (for years). My concern is that maybe the Scooba charger is more sensitive? Another option could be that I have been unlucky in my Scooba replacements. I am not so versed in the physics of electricity but one difference from Sweden (and most of Europe) is that we run our power cycles in 60Hz whereas in the US its 50Hz - from what I have read this usually only affects motor with direct power feed like drills and a like but if anyone wants to chime in on that go ahead. However that is nothing I can change so hopefully it doesnt affect anything.

Hope anyone has some ideas or tips to share about my Scooba - I need some encouragement :)
Krillo

Re: My sad Scooba history, 3rd robot coming

Postby Jozer99 » July 2nd, 2009, 9:20 am

US power is 115V 60 Hz, not 50 Hz, so that isn't your problem. Perhaps you are just a statistical anomaly, the unluckiest Scooba customer (like I had 4 iPods die on me during my 1 year warranty, even though they were treated very well). The Roomba and Scooba use the same types of batteries (although the Scooba's is internal) and charging systems, so if your Roombas can take European power, so too should your Scoobas.
Jozer99

Postby mfortuna » July 2nd, 2009, 10:18 am

The scooba does use more current than a roomba. Maybe that is enough to overtax the transformer. The scooba supply is rated for 45W so your transformer should be OK. But it is a suspect since both your issues were charging related. If you are handy you may want to search the hacking forum for a 220V scooba charger upgrade. People have managed to hack their supplies.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Krillo » July 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

Ok, it has done two cleaning cycles so far and seems to be ok. The cleanings seems to take about 40 minutes before the liquid is out. Its been so long now since I had a functioning Scooba that I don't know if that is good or not and how that relates to square feet. The battery I use now is listed as a 4100 mAh. Does anyone know what that means?
I think this was a replacement battery for my original Scooba 340 battery which failed some time back.
Krillo

Postby Gordon » July 12th, 2009, 10:49 am

Krillo wrote:... cleanings seems to take about 40 minutes before the liquid is out.
If I casually fill its tank, my 5900 will empty in about 40 mins, but, if I take a few extra minutes to release trapped air in the clean chamber, and then add more solution, the run will be about 50 mins long. I have no data relative to area covered.
...The battery I use now is listed as a 4100 mAh. Does anyone know what that means? ...
That means your Scooba ought to be able to run for two 50-mins sessions before a re-charge is needed.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby spider31 » July 14th, 2009, 7:46 am

I am on scooba number 5 in around 8 months. The valve kept leaking.

I once got sent a recondishioned one back that smelt very bad and would only run for a few mins.

Steve
spider31

Postby stevematlbch » July 14th, 2009, 12:34 pm

I had 3 in about 9 months. Bought from Hammacher Schlemer. All returned, 1st 2 for trade, last for refund. Didn't work for me. I also have a Roomba 570 that's 14 months old - a few adventures there, but it has a CHM with bearings, and works well for me, used daily.
stevematlbch
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat