Buying a Used Roomba

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Buying a Used Roomba

Postby deepcscuba » May 28th, 2010, 8:47 pm

I already want to own a 2nd Roomba, and my first isn't even here yet. I was searching craigslist, and I can pickup a 2nd generation one (4220) for around $50, including these items:

Roomba Robotic Floorvac (model 4220)

includes:

1 roomba floorvac
1 home base
1 remote control
2 virtual walls
1 fast charging wall mount
1 fast charging power supply chord

Is it wise to buy a used one, or will it most likely be DOA? What should I be asking the seller? Maybe spend the extra money and get a new one?

Thanks.
deepcscuba

Re: Buying a Used Roomba

Postby vic7767 » May 28th, 2010, 9:13 pm

A lot of us old-timers buy used (non-working) Roombas. We don't buy just one but get several of the robots so that we can get one or two of them running. Anytime you purchase a used Roomba it is buyer beware so be prepared for the worst. The high runner components that fail on a used Roomba are the battery, possibly a defective electrical component on the printed circuit board, a drive motor, the brush motor, the vacuum motor, or even a side brush motor.

You could ask the seller if the battery will charge and will the Roomba run a cleaning mission.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby sageman » May 29th, 2010, 4:45 am

i think i got lucky with my sage its like new its 3 years old and it has been used because the battery has been broken into i think it was sold because the battery was starting to take roomba under an hour when i got it i was expecting somthing bad but i got a like brand new roomba with 3 years worth of scratches somone been looking after their roomba and i got it

this was just me yours may come from an abuser
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » May 29th, 2010, 10:12 am

Well luckily, I'd say half of the non-functioning Roomba needs it brushes cleaned or battery replaced.
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » May 29th, 2010, 10:23 am

I've purchased 3 used Roombas, a Dirt Dog, and 2 used Scoobas off Ebay. The Roombas were functioning, and the Scoobas were bought as nonworking. The Scoobas were repaired and work just fine. One 560 Roomba is on its 4th year of cleaning, and works great. Another 560 was working fine, but then got fried when I didn't know any better (before this forum) and left it on charge for a whole 8 days. I bought a new replacement from iRobot at a good discount. The 3rd one was a 535 that I bought for mom, and it was like new, but sold because the brushes did not turn. I turned the brushes by hand 100 times one way, and 100 times the opposite way and the Roomba has been working just fine for my mom. The Dirt Dog was used, but barely, and looked brand new. That works great too. I also bought 2 used Metapo Clean Mate QQ2 robots off Ebay, both of which work just fine also. I highly recommend buying used.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby deepcscuba » May 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm

How much should one expect to pay for, lets say, a generation 2 with some accessories?
deepcscuba

Postby vic7767 » May 29th, 2010, 3:15 pm

You can search ebay for Roomba "Used" or "For parts only" and observe the prices being bid or look at the "Buy it Now" prices to get an idea. Most robots can be obtained for $30 to $80 plus an average shipping cost of around $20. That does not include the 500 models that go for more presently.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » May 29th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Used 500 series have been going for around $150-$160, usually with at least 2 LHs, sometimes more, HB and the charger with battery. I was lucky and won a 560 with 5 LHs for $120, because the seller could not post pictures and no one was bidding on it.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby deepcscuba » May 30th, 2010, 12:23 am

Thanks! I am picking up a brand new, never used, 405 model for $75 from a seller on craigslist. I think it is a sears model??? The seller says he never opened the box. It feels like a good deal, if indeed it is brand new. It will be nice to have two, one cleaning upstairs, and one downstairs at the same time. Plus less wear and tear on my 562 model that won't be relied on to clean the entire house everyday.

I'm putting some faith that I will like the Roomba. I am a "gadget guy", and the maintenance upkeep will not bother me a bit. I just hope I am not disappointed in the performance.

Thanks all.

P.S. - Will I need to buy any accessories for this model? I won't need the virtual walls for upstairs because I can just close doors where I want it to clean.
Last edited by deepcscuba on May 30th, 2010, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepcscuba

Postby poconogal » May 30th, 2010, 9:12 am

I've got 3 large dogs and my 581 (the only new one purchased) and 560 (downstairs and upstairs) do a fantastic job, but I also have the AeroVac bin on each of them which helps a lot. I run the 581 downstairs daily though, because of all the dog hair. I love my Roombas and my Scoobas!
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby deepcscuba » May 30th, 2010, 2:20 pm

So I picked up the 405 from the seller, and it was brand new, unopened! I think a good deal for $75! It is charging right now, I will let it charge for 24 hours. My 562 should arrive on Wednesday next week!
deepcscuba

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat